Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

The BEST book you have ever read......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 83 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2010 7:19:18 PM PDT
Jeanie says:
I've ordered my first Kindle. I want to get some books to have when it finally gets here. What is the best book (if you can pick one!) you have ever read. Thanks for your suggestions :)

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 7:31:40 PM PDT
JLD62 says:
It all depends on which genre you enjoy. For classics I loved "Robinson Crusoe" and "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. For action and suspense I enjoy the Lucas Davenport detective novels by John Sanford and anything by J.A.Jance. For sci-fi/horror I would have to go with the king (Stephen King), I just finished "Under the Dome" and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Scan through Amazon's Kindle lists, lots of books have the sample feature so you can get an idea of the book and quality of writing before you buy.

I hope this helps.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 7:40:16 PM PDT
Dare Ric says:
My favorite book is a toss up between two books that are very different. The first that I read when I was a youngster is called 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' it is part of the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. It's a beautiful book with some of the most amazing descriptions, it's just a great adventure book. The Next is called 'Into The Wild' by Jon Krakauer. This book can make you smile, dream, cry, laugh, and then dream again. It's all a true story, or as much of a true story as the author could find. The latter of the two books would be a great read for anyone, period. The former of the two is still a great book, but only read if you are into fantasy adventure books.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 7:48:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2010 7:49:40 PM PDT
me FPA says:
Hi! I can never narrow it down to one, but Jean Rhys's Good Morning, Midnight is probably the best; it isn't on Kindle though :(. Neither is The Illustrated Man. The Shell Seekers doesn't seem to be available either. Not much luck with the books I think are the best!

...Okay, Colette's Chéri is on Kindle. Lady Chatterley's Lover (The Unexpurgated Edition) is too. Meet Me in Time by Charlotte Vale Allen is a very absorbing read.

----
After Ann
The Order of Things

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 8:05:16 PM PDT
I'd have to break this out into best books during a period of my life, and if I did that, the list would be too long :)

Some all time favorites include:
"The Stand" - King
"Descent" - Jeff Long
"Under the Banner of Heave" - Krakauer
"Bigger" - can't remember the author - read it in HS a long time ago

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 8:36:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2010 9:23:00 PM PDT
"The Day Lasts More Than A Hundred Years" Chingiz Aitmatov.
Wonderful, Wonderful book.
Goons don't have it out for Kindle yet though!

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 8:43:22 PM PDT
Shauna by Kathleen Woodweis (Read long, long ago)
What Looks Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
The Thang That Ate My Granddaddy's Dog
A Second Helping by Bevery Jenkins
Somebody's Knocking At My Door by Francis Ray
Gone Too Far by Suzanne Brockmann

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 8:44:11 PM PDT
Josephine says:
It probably not the "best" book I have ever read (with whatever definition is attributed to best) - but my FAVOURITE book that will remain in that position in my heart is "The Farseekers" by Isobelle Carmody - the second book in the Obernewtyn series. I picked it up in my primary school library and was indelibly impressed by it - my brain is forever seared with the story (although I need to go back to read it again NOW). Anyway, the series has progressed and is looking at being finished by the end of next year (there is about eight books on Amazon - six if you shop in Australia). They are in Kindle format (I bought them this year) and are excellent! The whole series itself can be considered YA but I know many adults who read them just as voraciously and really they are a sort of a crossover anyway (and based on a apocolyptical society with outsiders labeled as 'misfits' with incredible mind powers).

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 9:15:03 PM PDT
Jeanie says:
bump

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 9:16:24 PM PDT
Jeanie says:
Thanks everyone...appreciate the response.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 9:30:27 PM PDT
NanookMN says:
Anything Krakauer writes is a stylistic masterpiece. He seems to like writing about people who take risks, live on the edge. His are not my favorite books, but he is one of my favorite writers. Does that make any sense at all?

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 9:38:36 PM PDT
NanookMN says:
My favorite novels: Sigrid Undset, Kristen Lavransdatter and Precious Bane by Mary Webb

My favorite book of non-fiction: John McPhee, Annals of the Former World

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 10:15:12 PM PDT
ko585 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 11:06:19 PM PDT
I like all of David Baldacci's books, but one of my favorite books was "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Also, the trilogy by Stieg Larsson, beginning with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was great. However, they begin slow, but don't get discouraged. After about 50 pages, you won't be able to put them down!

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 11:22:48 PM PDT
My all-time favorites...all very different, but you'll see that I love fantasy novels. I don't care for books that are TOO "fantastic" (real "high fantasy"), but I love the believable stuff with well-developed characters:

1. The Bible - love, romance, action, murder, mystery, hope, forgiveness, truth. Best read of all time.
2. The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss. Unbelievable.
3. The Cross and the Switchblade. The book I've read more times than any other than the Bible. A true story.
4. The Night Angel Trilogy, Brent Weeks. Another of the best fantasy series I've read. Just great stuff.
5. The Red Wolf Conspiracy series, Robert V.S. Redick. Can't wait for the next one.
6. The Lies of Locke Lamora series, Scott Lynch

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2010 1:13:47 AM PDT
gwyneth says:
Depending on your interest, I myself love anything by James Patterson and Nicholas Sparks. I have a Kindle and love it!

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 5:25:29 AM PDT
My favorite books to read over and over again would be Christopher Paolini Eldest series or C.L. Wilson tairen soul series..for literature would be Shakespeare..my fav is a Midsummer Nights Dream..for text books anything with quantum physics...to help beat depression Mary Janice davidson Queen Besty series..depends on what genre you like? and your mood?
hope this helps!
Clarrissa Lee Moon
Nightwolves Coalition (Nightwolves Series)
Nightwolves on the Prowl (Nightwolves Series)
also in paperbacks!

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 5:28:23 AM PDT
S. St Pierre says:
Best book I've ever read has nothing to do with it being THE best book ever.

Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions.

It's just that it was life changing for me in so much that as a young reader I didn't know you could write about such things.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2010 5:56:39 AM PDT
Booklover says:
The Outlander series from Diana Gabaldon.

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 6:11:36 PM PDT
Jeanie says:
Bump

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 8:31:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 29, 2011 10:25:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 8:34:41 PM PDT
Jeanie says:
V. Stead, I will and thanks for responding :)

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 7:23:48 AM PDT
Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett; Watership Down, Richard Adams; The Horse Whisperer, Nicholas Evans (any Nicholas Evans book)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 7:38:42 AM PDT
Hands-down favorite book is THE GODFATHER by Mario Puzo. In sci-fi, it's DUNE by Frank Herbert or ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card. In thrillers it's THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY by Patricia Highsmith. In humor it's THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Douglas Adams. In mysteries it's just about anything in the Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout (although IN THE BEST FAMILIES and SOME BURIED CASEAR are at the top of that list)

To insert some of my own works, I write a mystery series originally published by St. Martin's Press. It's set in the small Florida panhandlel town of Exile, and the main character is an unjustly-bankrupted software designer named Frank Cole who has relocated to Exile to restart his life. Working as a fact-checker for local insurance outfits and law offices brings Frank into contact with various unsavory types and more than a few murders. The award-winning series is now available on Kindle (No Kindle? No problem: you can read these on your device of choice, from PC to Blackberry, using free downloads right off the Amazon page) and the latest, never-released CONTEST OF WILLS, is on the link below. I hope you enjoy your time in Exile.

Vinny O'Neil
www.vincenthoneil.com

Contest of Wills (Frank Cole Mysteries)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 7:39:42 AM PDT
Watership Down is a classic!Watership Down: A Novel
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions