Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Buy a Physical book, get the digital copy for a lower price.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 627 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 6, 2011 11:30:45 PM PDT
L. L. Dragan says:
Here's the deal: I love paper books. But I appreciate the benefit of digital copies. I want both! But getting both is often too expensive. So. Why not allow us to get the digital copy of a book for a small fee (say, .99) when you buy the hard copy? Anybody else agree with me!?

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 11:39:09 PM PDT
JES says:
It doesn't matter if people agree with you or not. You have to convince the publishers to give up a lot of profit. Which is never going to happen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 11:49:21 PM PDT
I'm going to go with a no here. Most people would only do it so they could get the e-book version cheap and then sell the dtb in a used bookstore, through Amazon Marketplace, or on eBay.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 10:22:50 PM PDT
L. L. Dragan says:
Yeah, but the publisher still sells a book, either way. They don't care what happens to the book after they sell it, whether they sell a digital copy of not now. It really won't change much in the process, other than they make more money than they other wise wouldn't have.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 10:26:58 PM PDT
And the person who buys the cheaper, "new" condition book takes away a sale from the publisher.

Yes, it does change the process, and it wouldn't net them enough money to be worth it. Most people don't want a digital copy and a paper copy.

Posted on May 10, 2011 12:59:55 PM PDT
C. Ricucci says:
If you bought a DVD of a movie from Best Buy and then decided you wanted the Blu-Ray copy too, would you expect a discount on the second copy?

The paper version of a book and the digital version of a book are two separate and independent products. I can't imagine you will ever see a scenario like what you've described.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 7:35:57 PM PDT
K. Bloch says:
Except that DVDs have combo packs, featuring either the DVD with a digital copy, the Blu-Ray with a digital copy, or even all three. Books should also do this. I should hope we see this scenario very soon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 12:32:57 PM PDT
Aaron C says:
I COMPLETELY agree. Amazon frequently offers a free MP3 download when you purchase certain items, how hard would it be to link their Kindle store with their Amazon.com marketplace? There are many times where I just want access to various books and am "on the go" - the flexibility would be great.

I understand that there would be no way to do this via other sellers, websites, or digital readers. But come on, Amazon has the ideal set up for this. Kindle devices are registered and restrict ownership - it's a no brainer. I practically buy all my books via Amazon, anyway.

"Buy a physical book, get the Kindle version free."

Posted on May 18, 2011 12:41:00 PM PDT
Lynnly Damm says:
I agree. Especially with thick books, it's not always prudent to drag around the physical copy of a book. I know several people who own both physical and ebook copies of the same book; the physical copy for at-home reading, and the e-book to read while they are "on the go". It's just more convenient that way. I'd buy both copies more frequently if there were some sort of "bundled" version; maybe a code in the physical copy for the eBook. I wouldn't even mind paying a few more dollars for it.

Dark Mansion

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2011 9:57:49 PM PDT
A lot of new releases come in a blue ray/ DVD combo pack along with a digital copy. So hoping to get a digital copy of a book along with a hard copy is not too much to ask. If someone wants to pay for just a hard copy they can or if they want the combo they pay a little more and save money. The customer saves money from buying separate and companies still make a profit. That's my opinion at least.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 12:10:10 AM PDT
I'm an author and I really like this idea. If you can get Amazon to listen, I'd be the first to sign up. I often buy "bundled" DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital movies so that I have the option of viewing wherever I am. Why not books? Yes, it may be hard to get the big publishers on board at first, but it just makes sense to me. Great idea!

~Heidi

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 2:49:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 11, 2012 11:30:20 AM PST]

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 2:33:37 AM PDT
Some publishers do it, mostly those publishing textbooks for professional reference and study where the customer can be trusted to not abuse the system and indeed sell the hardcopy for near full price and make a profit over their back.
I'd not trust the average paperback customer to be so honest.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 6:02:36 AM PDT
Emma Southee says:
As someone trying to deal with paperback/kindle sales I think it would be a good promotional tool, however I don't think any publisher would ever go for it. I would even be willing to give away free digital copies with purchase of paperback.

The problem is, writers don't actually make alot of money unless they sell Millions of copies. Agents, publicists, publishers all take their cut. They don't want to miss out on any little profit they can make. So even if the author wants to do something like this, it's highly unlikely, unless they are national best sellers, that the others involved will agree. Unless the contract allows the author to distribute Ebooks on their own, they may not even have the ability to give away or discount it.

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 4:08:14 PM PDT
I would also be willing to pay a few dollars more and get both the paper and digital versions of a book the same as I do with the bundled DVD/Blu-Ray movies. I buy 99% of my books from Amazon and this would guarantee my continued loyalty.

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 1:49:26 AM PDT
Edwin Stark says:
Hmmm, I ran the numbers through the spreadsheet today and it's a feasible proposition but only for my book Cuentos, since its priced at 99 cents. I'd send them a copy through the gift metgod in Amazon after a sale confirmation is done. It would work in small batches of 5 people at the time, after devising a verifying process, since I don't have the technological platform but it's still possible. Alas, to be able to extend the offer to my other works, I'd have to sell at least 40 paperback copies of cuentos and then make some adjustments.

<---- thinking, thinking, thinking

Posted on Jun 16, 2011 9:10:09 PM PDT
It's only fair. No one should have to pay full price twice. You know, DC COMICS is jumping heavily into digital comics in September, and they will be doing packages. You'll be able to buy the comic for $2.99, the digital for $1.99 or the combo for $3.99. It's smart!

Noah Mullette-Gillman
Author of Luminous and Ominous

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 3:05:06 AM PDT
Sean Hinton says:
YES - this is exactly what I want as well. I want the immediacy and the portability of the kindle version, but I want that book on my shelf so that I can lend it, share it, enjoy it later. No rush - slowly but surely some time later (and Amazon could do it slowly so as to minimise the cost of shipping and use available "off-peak" capacity in shipping) I want that physical book to arrive and sit on my shelf.
I LOVE this idea and really would pay a premium to the price for one to get both.

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 1:53:56 PM PDT
Sounds like a good idea to me!

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 4:42:02 PM PDT
J. Ramsey says:
I'm surprised so many people would be against the idea. I for one would rather have something tangible but maybe if I did get a digital copy at a discounted rate ($1-$4 sounds appropriate) , it might make me consider getting a Kindle. Plus Amazon would have another edge over the competition as they would be one of the few to be able to do this.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 4:47:10 PM PDT
Amazon doesn't sell most of the Kindle books that have both Kindle and paper editions; the publishers do. So it's not up to Amazon.

If you buy a hardback, do you get a discount on the paperback? Or on the audio? If you want a paper version and a Kindle version, you can buy both.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 8:53:05 AM PDT
A. M. Ponzo says:
I completely agree and so do a number of other people. See previous amazon discussion here: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20book/ref=cm_cd_ttp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3RFWX8IMGF85E&cdThread=Tx1JSY68VWRI3LI
Now if we could just get the publishers to agree!

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 9:41:46 AM PDT
Aaron C says:
And, let's be fair, we understand that some publishers may not accept this -that is up to them. And not all books are available on Kindle. That is somewhat understandable too. But new releases that are available in both hardcover/print and Kindle, it's a no brainer. (Also, obviously I wouldn't expect a book bought at Barnes & Nobles to give me a Kindle copy). There are many reasons why you might want both versions (collector, lending options, etc.), but it is ridiculous for a person that has purchased a hardcover (which incurs the greatest cost to the publisher) to pay NEARLY THE SAME PRICE (in some cases even more than the printed price) to have the luxury of having a digital copy (which virtually costs the publisher nothing to produce additional copies - besides royalties obviously). Amazon has an ideal setup with the Kindle store to offer such a deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 12:07:37 PM PST
is amazon doing this yet, if feel like they are missing the boat here. I am an avid reader but im not willing to pay 12 bucks for a digital book that i can go buy at walmart for 5 bucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 12:09:24 PM PST
I agree, but it seems like there should be a happy medium here. Amazon has the infrastructure where they could sell the paperbook and you get a code for the e-book for additional fee.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  175
Total posts:  627
Initial post:  May 6, 2011
Latest post:  19 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions