Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Kindle Book Forum Lending Group?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 7:18:48 PM PST
Scamp says:
Hi all!

Some of us have gotten to know one another from the book threads on the forum. We have been discussing lending. The need to exchange sensitive e-mail information is very important to lending books back and forth.

I have a lot of books that can be lent, as I'm sure others do too. I haven't lent any books as of yet. I do not belong to lending sites, and really don't want to belong to them or spend my time that way. I would rather loan to online friends/acquaintances or IRL friends. Since I don't know many Kindlers IRL, y'all are it.

What do you think? Would you join a small lending group? This would be a limited group, just of the people here who know each other, or any other close friends of the people here.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:31:29 PM PST
Scamp says:
I just started a group called "Kindle Book Forum Friends Lending Books."

Not very original. lol But if there is interest, we will launch into our book lending activities if anyone is interested. I sent invitations to the three people who are on my "friends" list. Anyone who wants to join, let me know on GR or here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:44:39 PM PST
In2books says:
I just joined. I will have to come up with a way to determine which books I have are lending enabled. If anyone already has a way please share!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:46:26 PM PST
Scamp says:
I can only think of painful ways - going through archives book by book.

**shudder**

Anybody have some better ideas? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:59:07 PM PST
In2books says:
That's what I was afraid someone would say....

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:58:22 PM PST
I signed up, Scamp. But yeah, picking out the lendables won't be a blast...in the meantime, I do already have a shelf started for 'freebies' which are usually eligible by default, if anybody's looking...
Will try to set up a loaner shelf soon.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:13:21 AM PST
Yeah, going back to mark them lendable or not is a pain in the butt. I did it a while back, but I am sure I missed a few. Now I try to be sure to mark it lendable or not when I add them to Goodreads.
I will look for your group over there, Scamp. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:52:06 AM PST
In2books says:
Scamp, I sent you a message on GR. We have our own BBA in the new group.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:50:49 AM PST
Scamp says:
I just deleted him from the group, and this is after I told him last night I didn't want him in the group.

Now I have to close up the group, I guess? I have no idea what I'm doing. Obviously... :/

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:51:05 AM PST
Scamp says:
And who's Stacy?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:00:29 AM PST
MommaCat says:
Scamp, I know I'm butting in, but I do that all the time ; D

Why don't you use Shelfari instead? You can only have people that you invite, because the "door" is lockable. We have reading groups there because of that fact.

<backing out now>

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:15:01 AM PST
Scamp says:
LOL! I don't mind at all, MommaCat. I have no idea what I'm doing anyway. Just wanted a place where it was safe for us to exchange information.

You can restrict the Group at Goodreads but I guess just by approval after someone tries to join, not by invite... though I'm not sure how it all works. I just made it restricted.

I will look into Shelfari later. Is it a nicer site to navigate than GR?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:17:18 AM PST
I would love to join such a group. I'll need to get over to G/B, right. I have been to Shelfari, but I couldn't figure that one out either. I'm getting better at G/B...starting to mess around a bit more. I have no where the amount of books most of you have....but I would love to share or pass on many of my books. I do know not all of them are lendable. I'll see what I can do. Good suggestion, Scamp!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:22:20 AM PST
Scamp says:
If the person called "Stacey" posts here, please let me know. Could be someone who uses a screen name here. You don't have to let me know here if you don't want to, but check your messages over there. I've let the person (Stacey) know that we are restricting the group to known people from here.

I figured out how to remove the troll author's books. It's not intuitive. Nothing at GR is intuitive to me. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:37:59 AM PST
I saw that person as a member and was wondering who that was? : )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:41:46 AM PST
luv2read says:
MommaCat, Scamp is trying to do exactly what I had in mind for another message board I participate in. I have a lot of books and would be happy to give the other posters there first dibs. It'd be nice if the members could share with each other. The conundrum is loaning without posting our e-mail addresses on the Internet. The forum is like here at Amazon in that there is unfortunately no messaging system.

Could you please tell me (us) more about the Shelfari groups and how that works.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:01:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 10:08:27 AM PST
MommaCat says:
Shelfari is owned by Amazon. It allows you to import your books that you buy from Amazon with just a click. ALL the books you've ever bought. It puts them on a bookshelf that you can view and share with others in your group. You can import new purchases daily. Your email addresses are hidden from the general public and you can go into your settings so that only your group can post a note and see your books. The admin of the group can set the defaults on the room.

Charlene and I both have reading groups on Shelfari with different styles. My name on shelfari is Mommacat (surprise) and you can always post a note there for me, I'm easy to find, my avatar is a black cat.

It takes a little getting used to, but once you learn to navigate the site, it's awesome.

Also, I would suggest that rather than a lending shelf, browse everyones books. If you see something you want to borrow, ask. If the person can lend it, I'm sure they will. Or you can post a list of the books you';d like to borrow and if someone has it available, they can let you know.

I'd be happy to lend my books, I just don't want to borrow, except for maybe one or two. I have way too many to read! But I'd be happy to administer the group if you want.

Edited: To make sense (hopefully)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:42:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 10:46:45 AM PST
There are benefits to both sites, IMO. There are some drawbacks as well.

First off Shelfari has nice bookshelves. : ) (Yes, I am a geek and I like to look at my books on a pretty wooden shelf.) The import feature at Shelfari is awesome. However, if you read erotica or other things you wouldn't want to have people see on your shelves, you would have to manually delete those books, or look very closely when you are importing to be sure they aren't displayed on your shelf. That's sort of a personal thing, depending on your individual needs.

The things I don't like about Shelfari are frequent site problems. Like posting a big, long post and having Shelfari eat it. This happened to me just a few minutes ago and it's very annoying. I also have a lot of trouble with the search function there. Often it comes up empty and you have to search for things two or three times before the system locates them. I am very disappointed in those couple of things because Amazon does so well with all of their sites, but Shelfari seems to be a second class citizen with them.

Things I like about Goodreads are: Lots of bookshelves. You can create as many shelves as you like to store your books. (Shelfari only has Read, Currently Reading, and To be Read.) So if you wanted to start a shelf for Irish authors of whom you are a fan, you cannot do it. (Yes, I have a shelf titled "Love me some Irish Authors" on GR.) I find this to be helpful when searching for books on your shelves later on. Goodreads also has a feature where it bundles up blog posts of your favorite authors and sends it to you via email once a week. It's a great way to catch up with everything that's going on with your favorite authors without having to visit each individual author's blogs. I also find that the groups on Goodreads seem to be WAY more active than the groups on Shelfari. When you're friends with someone on GR you can follow their reviews, if you like. If you have a friend that writes great reviews and you want to keep up to date with their reading and reviewing, you can do so with one click. Also, when you're friends with someone on GR, you can see what your friends are currently reading and comment on it, if you wish. One of my favorite things to do there is to browse through what all my friends are reading. I'm nosy, I guess, but it's fun and sparks some great conversations, sometimes. (You can also see what your friends are reading on Shelfari, but cannot really comment on it without posting in a group somewhere or sending them a private message.)

The drawbacks to Goodreads-you cannot import your books. (There is a button you can click to import your books, but it has never worked for me.). This means you have to manually enter all of your books. Which for someone like Momma or me, could take a heck of a long time! GR can also inundate you with information. It's important to set your preferences to what kind of notifications you would like, etc.. Otherwise you can be getting emails for every post in every group and some groups there have thousands of members, so you can imagine what that would be like! Lastly, GR does not have pretty shelves. You can pull them up and browse them easily, but they look like they are floating on air. So, to me, the shelves there are not visually pleasing.
I hope this helps. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:55:16 AM PST
Can I be in your group, Scamp? Please, please, please?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:56:41 AM PST
Scamp~

You can post a question that a person who wants to join your group has to answer before you approve them. You could ask them to tell you what their Amazon name is.

I'm having the same trouble figuring things out in DWS. Nothing on GRs seems to be easy to figure out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:04:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 12:04:52 PM PST
In2books says:
You know Scamp, it will cost you BIG swagbucks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:40:09 PM PST
Lol!!!

P.S. She knows I'll just steal them back. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:02:05 PM PST
luv2read says:
Thank you very much MommaCat and Charlene for the wonderfully detailed responses. And, Charlene, you answered a question that was formulating while reading about the site. Must have ESP...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 1:07:10 PM PST
MommaCat says:
You're welcome. If you have questions, let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:32:49 PM PST
Scamp says:
I would LOVE it if you joined, Anna. I miss you, even though you are a swagbucking thief, an incorrigible sock puppeteer, a mischievous spy, a color-coordinated conspirator, and a mafia don (or is that doness? donette?)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions