Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

What's your favorite vampire book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 119 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2012 6:56:22 PM PST
Okay, so vampire books are wildly popular today, and there's a bunch out there...but which one/series is your favorite (that's NOT TWILIGHT)? If you hate vampire books, please don't reply to this. I'm actually looking for recommendations. (I've already read all the Twilight books, and am working on the House of Night and Vampire Academy books.) Personally, I think I like the VA novels the best...Twilight was pretty good, too...and I read this book called Otherworldies that was good as well... Anyways, what are you guys' thoughts? What do you vamp junkies like to read? Again, if you hate vampire books, PLEASE don't reply to this.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:03:47 PM PST
I have read the Southern Vampire Mysteries (True Blood) and really loved them . I'm a huge vamp fan. I have read all of the Twilight also. Have you read the draft for Midnight Sun? It's the final Twilight book that never got released (Twilight from Edward's POV).

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:03:59 PM PST
Bitten (bitten series) Merrill Gemus
How to date a werewolf Rylie Cruz and also how to date a vampire
Moon Dance Vampire for hire #1 J.R. Rain
NOT a vamp series but still really good The trouble with spells (of witches and warlocks) 5 book series

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:12:35 PM PST
The Royal Blood Chronicles by Elizabeth Lorraine is my favorite vampire series by far!!!

Katrina, The Beginning (Book 1) (Royal Blood Chronicles)

I also liked The House of Night series, but it get's pricey.
and lastly A Paranormal Romance by Zoe Winters
Enjoy

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 7:13:20 PM PST
how do you look up midnight sun i type it in but in does show correct author

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 7:19:38 PM PST
No, I have not read Midnight Sun. But I'll see if I can find it...thanks!

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:19:47 PM PST
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partial_draft4.pdf

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 7:20:37 PM PST
You won't find it on amazon, because it was never finished. You have to google it and then you can read it on your computer. But I don't know if you ever read the other book that goes with the series called The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, an Eclipse Novella.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 7:22:05 PM PST
I'll check those out...thanks! I have been getting the HoN books from my public library, so price doesn't matter.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:22:13 PM PST
I linked it above. The draft was stolen and leaked. Stephenie Meyer put the book on hold indefinitely but she put the draft on her site for anyone who wants to read it.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:22:43 PM PST
life of bree tanner was good read that interesting

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 7:25:32 PM PST
Okay...I'll look it up. Yes, I have heard of the novella but it's like $11 and no way am I paying that for something I'll read in two hours. I'm going to see if a friend has it or if I can get it from the library. Thanks for your help!

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:27:31 PM PST
Add me on shelfari. I have all the vamp books I've read on there. Do you have a kindle? I can try to figure out how to lend the ones you want. http://www.shelfari.com/teresamummert

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:28:28 PM PST
Cheriatra says:
Vampires in America series by DB Reynolds - start with Rapheal

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 8:37:09 PM PST
sherilyn kenyon . There is none better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 10:23:05 PM PST
Cphe says:
The Crimson Trilogy - By Trisha Baker (loved them)

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 10:56:49 PM PST
Kribu says:
I've read the first Sookie Stackhouse and Morganville Vampires books and they weren't bad, but also I haven't yet felt any particular desire to read further in either series.

I've grown rather fond of Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill (starting with Some Girls Bite: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel) - the first book in particular was in bad need of editing (I'm sure there should have been an editor, considering it's a traditionally published series, but maybe they forgot...) but I'm glad I persisted. It's a bit more urban fantasy than paranormal romance (although there's a romance element) and it's not young adult (although I'd say it's clean enough for older teens).

For a somewhat different vampire book, I just read Vampire High by Douglas Rees (I believe it also has a sequel). The main character there is a boy and it definitely feels "younger" (and not so much romance-oriented, although there is romance in it) than most vampire series around.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:35:15 AM PST
I'm a huge fan of Brian Lumley's vampires, starting with his best two "trilogies" (the first went five books):

Necroscope: Necroscope
Vamphyri!: Vamphyri! (Necroscope, Vol. 2)
The Source: Necroscope 3: The Source (Necroscope Trilogy, Volume 3)

Then there is the Vampire World trilogy, of which The Last Aerie kept me up all night.

Blood Brothers (Vampire World Trilogy)
The Last Aerie (Vampire World)
Bloodwars

This is not a criticism of anything Twilight-there's too much of that. Rather, I'd like to point out a vampire series that describes the darker, more sinister, and downright evil nature of these bloodsucking creatures.

If you have not read Brian Lumley's Necroscope series, you are missing some absolutely awesome vampire stories. It is not without flaws, and sometimes I'd wish he'd back off on the whole paranormal/ESP think. But the vampires?

There is nothing romantic about them.

Think of a large leech living inside you, attached to your entire core, being part of you. It is you, you are it. It needs to feed, and doesn't care how-and if it has to reproduce, beware of pulsating tentacles and rudimentary body parts lifting from the very earth!

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:47:42 AM PST
Now I have a whole new list of books on my 'to read' list! Love this thread!

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 6:32:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012 6:33:11 AM PST
The Light at the End - back when vampires were still the bad guys, and not wangsty underwear models looking for love.

(edit to add : not slagging on /anyone's/ tastes if they do happen to like the modern heart throb vamp, just stating my preferences only)

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 6:44:18 AM PST
Cheriatra says:
For anyone that is up to a long series (with almost no sex in the earlier books and then a lot of erotica in the later books) - Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake books are great.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 8:02:58 AM PST
If you're looking for something really different, The Passage: A Novel is a post-apocalyptic vampire novel.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 8:14:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012 8:16:11 AM PST
I loved the Necroscope books by Brian Lumley, though I barely remember them now, it was so long ago.

I would highly recommend the lady who has the longest running vampire series ever. Her name is Chelsea Quinn Yarbro and her vamp is St. Germaine. The books are historical fiction based around whatever time and town St. Germaine is in.
They are absolutely fascinating. I believe there are over 20 in the series, but they are all stand alone novels as well.

I am also currently reading the second of two books regarding vampires on the Kansas plains. These vampires are stupid, fast and nasty.
The first one is called Burden Kansas (Vampires of the Plains).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 9:18:34 AM PST
(Started re-reading Lumley because it's been 15 years or so for me, too).

Charlene, will check out Yarbro... I'd never heard of that series before but it looks cool. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 10:22:17 AM PST
Vampire Academy

I've read the first two books of the series and really liked them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  119
Initial post:  Jan 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions