Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

giving your kindle to someone else

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2010 12:09:56 PM PST
I have a Kindle that's registered in my name. Is there a way to transfer the registration to someone else? I would like to give it to them.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 1:02:16 PM PST
You can go to the Manage Your Kindle page on the Your Account section of the Amazon website. You can de-register the Kindle from your account there. You also need to remove the ebooks from the Kindle before you give it to someone else, so that you maintain the Terms of Service with Amazon. You can also reset the Kindle to factory settings using the option in the Menu on the Kindle. If the other person is a family member, you could leave it registered on your account and so share all the ebooks that you buy. You'll need to work out a shared payment system, which a number of people use, such as buying Amazon gift cards and using those to buy ebooks.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 9:04:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2011 9:04:41 AM PST
Shawna says:
I'm getting a kindle fire for Christmas and want to give my current kindle to my son. How do I keep the books etc I purchased and transfer them to the other kindle before deregistering? Or do I automatically keep them and they get downloaded to my new kindle through my amazon account?

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 11:19:03 AM PST
Iola says:
If you register your new Kindle to your current account, all the books you already have will show in the Cloud/Archive on the new Kindle. You then just need to download them as you want them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 9:36:55 AM PST
c.Lake says:
What if you DON'T delete the books off of your Kindle, because you don't give a crap about the "terms of service...bluh, bluh, bluh" and you're whole purpose in buying this thing to begin with, was to give it to some one else? To set it up, buy books for them and then give it to them as a present. Then what?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 9:40:14 AM PST
As long as you keep the Kindle registered under your account, then whoever you give the Kindle to will still be able to read and receive books that you buy for them. But they won't be able to setup their own account until you deregister it from your account and they register it to their own account. As soon as that process is complete, all the books that are on your account will be removed from their device.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 9:42:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2012 9:56:28 AM PST
c.Lake says:
I understand. Thank you. Which is why, I'm sending this thing straight back and buying her an iPad. Wow, I never thought I'm have to deal with a service that's more clamped down then iTunes. I stand corrected.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 10:06:06 AM PST
This actually is only correct if the kindle in question is a Fire. The e-ink kindles retain all books on the device even after it is deregistered and reregistered to a new account. However, new books purchased on an account to which the device is not registered are not accessible to the kindle.

You can have as many devices on a single account as you want. However, typically books can only be downloaded to six kindles at a time. If you deregister a book without removing a book & then syncing that kindle, I believe that one of those downloads is occupied. Therefore, you will only be able to have that book on 5 additional devices.

Does this make sense? Because it can actually be a little complicated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 10:06:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2012 10:07:33 AM PST
Don't be so hasty. I am not sure that the service is as restrictive as you think it is.

Is there some reason that you don't want to share an account with this person? Is she friend or family?

Tell us a little bit more about your situation, & you might change your mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 10:43:21 AM PST
AmeliaAT says:
She (or he) could also set up a new account for the recipient, buy the Kindle on it, purchase a lot of books on it or fund it with a gift card (which I'd prefer, myself), and then give both the Kindle & the account to the recipient. The recipient would simply have to put in their own credit card information if they wanted to add a cc to the account.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 9:17:21 AM PST
Shawna says:
Reason to NOT keep it registered under you when gifting to a family member: it's your credit card info registered on the device. My son can get a job and get his own books.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 9:26:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2012 9:26:27 AM PST
That's true. If your family members can't be trusted to be respectful of your credit card, then it's not a good idea to keep them on your account. I've never had a member of my family buy a book on my credit card without permission.

Plus, if you & your son don't read the same thing, there really isn't a benefit to it anyway. My whole family reads a lot of the same books, so we get a lot more for our money by sharing the account.

The last thing is -- you can actually delete your credit card from the shared account & only buy books using gift cards. This would work for a family that wanted to share an account, but didn't want to deal with having to switch payment options every time a purchase is made.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 10:45:41 AM PST
Why don't you give this person the Kindle and gift books to them? Giving them a digital copy of a book that will not work on any future Kindles they might buy or apps they might use isn't that great of a gift.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 12:05:14 PM PST
I wouldn't link a credit card with a kid's account even if I trusted them. The one click thing is far too easy and kids don't pay as close attention. Sometimes you can trust someone and still have a healthy amount of self-preservation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 1:00:51 PM PST
I agree. Gifting books is a great option. I wouldn't give my kids access to my credit card either.

Author of Diana's Dreams

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:24:14 AM PDT
If I give my Kindle Fire to my daughter, and de-register, I understand the part about the books, but what about the music and documents I have stored on it? Can they stay on it, or does everything else on it get wiped clean automatically when I de-register?

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 8:22:44 AM PDT
suz says:
I have a kindle app on my iPad and pretty much only use my iPad to read..I still buy all the books from my kindle account from amazon ( which is downloaded to my iPad). My question is that I want to give my kindle to my aunt. I want to take off all my books on my kindle account but I want to leave my iPad intact - does that make sense?

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 5:33:30 PM PDT
<<I understand. Thank you. Which is why, I'm sending this thing straight back and buying her an iPad. Wow, I never thought I'm have to deal with a service that's more clamped down then iTunes. I stand corrected.>>

Hmmmm... if it is a kindle fire and you transfer it to another account all amazon purchased data on the device vanishes because it is linked to the account not the device.

If it is an ipad and you transfer it to another itunes account then all itunes purchased data on the device vanishes because it is linked to the account not the device.

I fail to see any difference there. Both devices have methods to circumvent this but doing so is against terms of service. Again no difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 5:37:34 PM PDT
suz... um not exactly clear but I'll guess at what you meant. You want to keep reading books from your Amazon account on your ipad and keep those books you already bought. And you want to give your Kindle to your aunt but don't want any of your stuff on it when you give it to her?

If this is the case just use the "your account" dropdown menu at the top of almost every Amazon page and go to Manage Your Kindle. Once there deregister the kindle that you intend to give her. Then on the kindle itself somewhere under settings you will find the option restore to factory default. Once that is done all of your data will be wiped off the kindle and she won't have access to anything in your account. Then she can register it to her own Amazon account.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 8:30:53 AM PST
Meri Justis says:
After I deregister the Kindle, and restore to factory settings, can I set up an account with this kindle for my grandson and put a gift card on it so he can buy books?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 12:37:52 PM PST
Can I set up an account with this kindle for my grandson? Yes
and put a gift card on it so he can buy books? Yes, but the account will need a credit card to set up 1-click purchasing initially. I think you can remove the CC after everything is up and running. You could also get one of those pre-paid Visa cards to set up the account with.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 6:23:24 AM PST
C. Clever says:
I have a friend in South Africa who has her own account with Amazon (and Kindle). Can I gift her this US-bought Kindle? 3G with keyboard model. What do I need to do besides restore or deregister the device?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 10:03:14 AM PST
It should be fine. Just restore it to factory defaults. That will deregister it and remove all the content.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:45:34 PM PST
My husband just bought me the kindle fire and my 12 year old daughter would like my old kindle. I would like to give it to her and keep my account info the same so she can buy books but I do not want her to have the books I have on there now. How do I need to go about doing this?

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 5:51:14 AM PST
I have all my books on my iPad and I want to keep my Amazon account. I want to give my mother my Kindle. If I deregister my account will I have to set up a new account for me? Also, can my mother transfer her books from her Nook to the Kindle that I am giving her?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2010
Latest post:  11 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions