Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

AmaDome! 2012: Round 1, Arena II

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2012 9:00:33 AM PST
Splinker says:
Listen all! This is the truth of it.

Writing leads to publishing, and publishing leads to promoting.
And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone yelling about freebies and editing.

But we've learned, by the dust of them all... AmaDome learned. Now, when writer's get to writing, it happens here! And it finishes here!

Two writers enter; one writer leaves.

Welcome to AMADOME 2012! ARENA II!!!

Arena I is experiencing technical difficulties, so we're going to continue with Arena II. This is the tournament AmaDome, with prizes and everything. So read carefully.

The Genre: HORROR!!

I'll post them shortly. Go close your closet doors, reassure your children that life is all sunshine and rainbows, then come back to the dark side. Let's play!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:01:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 9:02:15 AM PST
Splinker says:
DIGG

Stella is fascinated as they enter the cave Alepotrypa. Located in southern Greece, It was once occupied by Cave dwellers who not only lived there but it also contained their dead. Settlement at the cave abruptly ended when its entrance collapsed thousands of years ago, perhaps due to an earthquake, burying all who were there alive. It then served as a place for Greek mythology. Thereby earning the name Gates to Hades. The cave was an underworld. It contained Cathedrals and complex societies. There were places where rituals were held and it even had its own cemeteries. This is where the excavation was to take place. This was an Archeologists' dream.

Once they had gotten the grave site opened, Stella with her friend and colleague Stan and his assistant Dean gazed in wonder at the wealth in which this corpse was buried. It held gifts of gold and silver, gems and pottery of all colors along with what looked to be religious or spiritual symbols. Stan thought that this was once a powerful and respected or perhaps even a feared Ruler. It did look impressive and Stella felt maybe Stan was correct. As Stella is slowly and carefully brushing some dust and debris off the ribcage she notices various carvings of symbols and what recognized as Latin inscribed into one of its ribs. Intrigued, Stella took off her work glove and ran her finger over the inscription. It felt cold to the touch sent goose bumps up Stella`s arm. She looked up at Stan and asked "Any idea about what this...Ouch, I poked myself". Pulling her hand away she put her finger in her mouth, but not before a drop of blood seeps into the rib. Stella begins to feel dizzy. She decides to get some fresh air. As Stella is walking out of the cave towards the tent, she fells as if she is not alone. Something sends a shiver down her spine ... We're digging up a grave that's all she reminds herself. She is suddenly very thirsty and has a pain in her side. She takes a long drink of water and decides to lie down. The water helped some and the ache in her side subsides. Stella closes her eyes and drifts into a daydream.

Stan decided to get the camera and take some photos to study later. As he leans over the grave, he noticed the carvings are gone. "Dean, do you see what I see or what I`m not seeing"? He says baffled. Stan and Dean both looked at each other, perplexed. The lights start blinking and then go out, making the cave pitch dark. "Did you hear that"? Dean asked his voice quivering in fear. "No". Stan replied "What, where was it?" Stan heard Dean shuffling closer. "I don't know, but I sure heard something. Let's get out of here. I want to check in on Stella". Dean said his voice still shaky with fear. The cave becomes colder and both Stan and Dean sensed something different in the air around them. It's thicker than before and they both know they're no longer alone.

Dean started to say something but before he could Stan covers his mouth. Removing his hand he nudges Dean towards the entrance of the cave. As they slowly make their way along the wall, they both feel the hate and malice filling the cave. They sense a presence that makes the hair on their necks stiffen. As Dean moves further up the wall Stan falls behind. He tries to move faster but the cave is dark and the air, rank and thick and weighed down with death he can barely breathe. He feels the despair of all those that died here. Suddenly, ice-cold hands encircle his head. The cave begins to glow red. He hears thousands of voices chanting in rhythm. In the glow he's witness to human sacrifices. Stan could feel hate and anger mixed with greed and revenge seep into his heart. Paralyzed with fear as he locks eyes with death he feels his life being drained along with his hope. As Stan's life starts slipping away, in his last moments he realized he can faintly make out... Stella? Only it's not Stella. Her eyes are wrong. And she's sucking the life out of him.

Dean reached out for Stella and for just a second he senses pure evil. He has a flash of Stan with a look of recognition and horror in his eyes as the last of his life leaves him. Dean lets go of Stella and the vision fads. As Stella stands up she looks at Dean. As his eyes met hers, he legs weaken and a scream of terror tears from his throat as he watches her blue eyes blaze red.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:02:58 AM PST
Splinker says:
I Mean Well

"How wonderful," Kate muttered sarcastically to herself as she noted the heavy fog that filled the air in the early morning hours just before sunrise. As she locked the door behind her, she took in a heavy breath of the cool misty air. The streetlights and trees were filtered in a soft, swirling grey mass so thick she could only see for a short distance. Beams of light, carried upon the fog, scattered around her as she began to stretch for her pre-morning run.

Content that she had stretched enough, she began to run against the uneven sidewalk. Once she made it to the main road, the run became much easier. She quickened her pace and controlled her breathing. Despite the heavy fog, she could still navigate her way with general ease. She had done this morning ritual for well over two years now. She knew her limits, and she knew where the troubled spots were along her route. As she rounded a corner into an alley, which had become slightly infamous for a recent mugging in the past week, her stomach clenched and a sense of dread overwhelmed her. She attempted to push the nervous thought of getting attacked out of her mind. After all, she figured she'd be safe enough at this hour.

Kate slowly staggered down her run to a mere walk. She clutched her stomach in pain. She did not know if it was her nerves getting the better of her, or if she had pushed herself too far. She could usually run much further. Another intense wave of pain erupted from the pit of her stomach, she felt as though she may vomit at any moment. She stumbled around in the fog until her hand came into contact with a rough piece of wooden fencing. A single light in the alley filled the area in a strange orange luminance that seemed more similar in appearance to smoke from a campfire than a mere rolling, swirling and shifting fog.

"You alright there, honey?" A man's rough, drawn out voice came from the darkness just beyond the cusp of what the fog would reveal to her.

"Who's there?" Kate asked, as she stumbled forward a few steps. The orange glow from the light was too blinding from her angle. As she cautiously closed the distance, she could barely make out the form of a man seated in one of those cheap plastic lawn chairs. There were empty amber colored bottles beneath his feet and a heavy smell of cigarette smoke filled the air and burned her nostrils.

"You look like you could use some help there," the man shrouded in fog spoke as he got up from his chair and made his way over to Kate. "I'll be more than happy to help you out."

"No, I'm fine," Kate protested as she raised her hands in an attempt to keep the man who smelled heavily of alcohol and smoke at a comfortable distance. "I got some stomach cramps from running; I'll be fine in a few minutes."

"There's no need to get so defensive, honey," the man says again as he approaches closer. "I'm just tryin' to help you out here."

"I don't need your help," Kate spoke as she pushed away the man's hand moments before it could come into contact with her shoulder.

"Now why does a pretty little young thing like you need to be so rude?"

"I don't mean to be rude. I just want to get home."

Without another word, the man forced himself upon Kate and pinned her against the rough wooden fence. She began to shudder as he placed his face next to hers and pressed his tongue against her bare neck. She could feel his hand upon her leg.

"You'll get home soon enough," he whispered as he slowly began to slide his hand upward. "You just have to pay the fee for passage."

Kate retched as the man pinned her down; the pain in her stomach was becoming unbearable. Under the threat of possibly being vomited upon, the man withdrew one of his hands and allowed her to crouch down to the ground.

"Just let it out," the man said with a snide little laugh. "I'll wait."

Kate collapsed against the ground, her heart pounding in her chest. The searing pain from her stomach moved to her lower back and followed along the curve of her spine until it reached her shoulders. In a bloody explosion, that covered her attacker in crimson red stains, a pair of bloodied white wings erupted from her back sending loosed feathers high into the foggy air.

"What the hell?" The man said as he stumbled back and fell against the gravel pavement beneath him. "Are you some kind of angel?"

"I'm feeling better now," Kate said as she effortlessly clutched the man in her small arms and took to the sky.

Once back home, she fumbled with her keys in her pocket as the man attempted, in vain, to wriggle himself free of her grasp. She brought him into her house and playfully kicked the door shut with the back of her shoe. She carried the man who was pleading, crying, and begging for his life. She paused at the door to the basement; she released one hand from her catch, and opened the door up and carelessly tossed the man down the stairs. There was a sickening wet thump he landed on his arm, breaking it and exposing the bone.

Kate began to descend the staircase. She watched as the man recoiled away, clutching his limp and useless arm.

"Please, I beg you for forgiveness," the man pleaded. He looked around him and saw cages, some were empty, and others were filled with emancipated dead bodies. There were bones piled up haphazardly in a corner.

"Please don't kill me." The man said as Kate placed him into a cage. "What kind of angel are you?"

"I don't kill anyone, they all die eventually."

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:14:34 AM PST
Splinker says:
Read 'em and vote!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:27:39 AM PST
I loved both stories so this is a tough choice. My vote goes to....

I Mean Well

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:33:31 AM PST
Both great stories.

I Mean Well.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:15:48 PM PST
I vote for "I Mean Well" - the writing is of a better standard.

Confusion of tenses put me off the first story.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 12:40:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 12:40:40 PM PST
I would have to vote for "I Mean Well".

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:12:50 PM PST
Lamplight says:
DIGG had an interesting concept but I really liked the predator turned into prey aspect of I Mean Well. Im voting for I mean Well

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:15:53 PM PST
Splinker says:
Keep em coming.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 4:06:33 PM PST
Pete Morin says:
I Mean Well

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 4:22:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 4:45:48 PM PST
KOBA says:
I Mean Well

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 4:49:01 PM PST
Kelli says:
I Mean Well

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:02:05 PM PST
I vote for..I Mean Well.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:30:49 PM PST
Splinker says:
Night bump

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:14:31 AM PST
Splinker says:
Morning vote bump

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:01:46 AM PST
I vote for Digg

Thank You Everyone

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:32:35 AM PST
Splinker says:
VOTE!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 7:04:56 AM PST
Splinker says:
Voting ends Friday night.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:23:09 AM PST
My vote goes to I Mean Well.

Something was off in Digg, for me.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 11:18:19 AM PST
My vote is also for I Mean Well.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:49:55 PM PST
Matthew Fish says:
Broats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9A2wIdfSz4&list=PL55747C44C1FBB768

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:48:59 AM PST
Splinker says:
We have a winner!!!

Two writers enter, one writer leaves.

First the stories:

The Digg: Many thought the writer tried to push the envelope and deliver a strange docuhorrorpovtensereversal. Not so! What happened, apparently, is that the author was very tired and not paying attention. She was working a double shift (she's an air traffic controller! [not really. relax]), and apparently slipped into a stream of consciousness mode. However, she did not upgrade to the premium "editor-included-version."

She since sent me the edited version and once I have her permission, I'll post it here for your enjoyment.

But the rules of AmaDome 2012 are clear. And few. And not available to the public.

SO...

The winner of AmaDome 2012: Round 1, Arena II is.....

But before I announce, I'd just like to take a moment to talk about what makes a good zombie story...

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 9:28:58 AM PST
Irish reader says:
Hang on - do we need to have votes in for both comps by today? I thought this would end a day later. Still haven't made up my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 9:37:45 AM PST
Splinker says:
There is still time to vote in the other Arena.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions