Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Footnotes?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 10:04:41 PM PST
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but lately I'm having a hell of a time with the footnotes in my Kindle books. No problem getting to the footnotes, but, once there, I have a very hard time getting back to the text. It seems that whoever has the job of converting books to the Kindle format isn't doing a very good job. Is it something I'm doing wrong, or are Kindle books just inferior in this respect? Or maybe it's a built in drawback of all e books?

I don't feel like pointing out specific examples right now, but I could if asked. It seems like all my recent Kindle purchases have this same disadvantage. Has anyone else noticed this?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:46:38 AM PST
Sires says:
The publisher does the formatting. If you advise Amazon of the problem they may take the book down and refund you then you can rebuy it when the publisher corrects the problem. I recently reported a self published book with some very screwy formatting-- last letter of each word on right margin was missing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:56:11 AM PST
MommaCat says:
If I'm understanding correctly (which is a stretch), you click on the footnote, read it, when you're done reading it do you then click the back arrow on your kindle? On my basic that's how I go back to where I was.

Is that what you're asking?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:16:32 AM PST
Well no. I read on the iPad kindle app. I click on the footnote, go there, read it, but there is no "back arrow". There seems to be no way to return to the page in the text unless I place a bookmark there before going to the footnote. That seems kind of klunky.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:36:40 AM PST
MommaCat says:
Yeah, that's clunky, all right. There must be a better way, but that's the problem with apps opposed to the kindle. You lose features.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:24:32 PM PST
I see what you mean. I've been fooling around with my Kindle and you are right, it is no problem to go to a footnote and then back to the text. It's a shame. I much prefer reading on the ipad because of the backlighting, but this footnote problem is a drawback.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 8:14:05 AM PST
There is a "back" button. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_ipuse_dl?nodeId=200298480&#nav and search for "Using the Reading Tool Bar". You can also click on the footnote itself to go back to where you came from. (Though this may vary by book or book publisher.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:15:59 AM PST
Thanks for that tip. But strangely, the reading toolbar on my Kindle iPad app (3.6.2, of 2/27/13) is not the toolbar shown in the link you provided.
Mine only has "house", "open book", and "search" in upper left; "x-ray", "fonts", and " synch" in upper right and the location bar along the bottom. Regarding clicking on the footnote itself, I agree it sometimes works, and is always worth a try, but I feel that its use is diminishing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions