Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Book Group for Men

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 8:19:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:26:37 PM PDT
I am living in Oaxaca, Mexico, and one of the few things I miss from the U.S. is the book group. As a compulsive reader the Kindle has been a miracle for me. For the first time in almost 15 years I can read what I want and not what I can find.

I know very few men with Kindles in Oaxaca and as I get older the ratio of men to women dips farther. So, I want to try and organize a book group that will operate by email. I really have no idea what I'm doing but I'll follow Peter Drucker's advice for successful organizations and "do it, try it, fix it."

I would like for the genre to be open because one of the things I enjoyed about my book group was that it led me to read books I would never have picked off the shelf in a bookstore. My one exception would be, and this might be because of the timing, but I don't want to read, and fight over, political books. I'm fed up with that particular topic. When the book group selected books for the year we had a couple of guys who alwasy plugged political or religious books but none were ever selected by the group.

I would like to suggest that, as with the group I was in, when someone recommends a book and it's selected they will be responsible for leading the discussion.

That's all I can think of now but I'd like the group to be limited to fifteen members. Send me an email if you're interested. My email address is:
patrickt@prodigy.net.mx

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:51:28 AM PDT
Alina says:
You might want to remove your email address for the moment and see what response you get in terms of interest. If you leave your email address publically available then you're probably going to get all sorts of spam.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:05:46 AM PDT
have you considered maybe looking at goodreads - there might be a group there that fits your needs/ or you could start one

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:18:05 PM PDT
Chance says:
I would suggest checking out Goodreads as well -- there are quite a few book clubs over there, so you should be able to find one that suits you.

For example, there's this one: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/49238-men-s-book-club

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 4:21:52 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
I'll second Goodreads. I finally signed up a couple of months ago.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions