Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 81 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2012 7:37:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 7:45:28 AM PDT
Splinker says:
I am sure I am loved there as elsewhere, but I've received a few emails from people who are under the impression that I am associated with them.

I did try to post a reply to their original article, which read: "Does the existence of the Amazon Review Mafia make you more likely or less likely to buy "I've B-.." My post did not get past the site's moderators. Other than that one attempt, I've had nothing to do with them, if for no other reason that their font is difficult to read on the iPhone, especially with all the screenshots they paste in their posts.

I don't say this because I am afraid of pot stirring. I just want to be yelled at for the things I do.

I haven't seen any posts about me there, other than a nice little plug for one of my blog posts.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 7:57:27 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Okay. I saw the other post that mentioned me. A side note question for GR veterans:

I thought the article on STGRB said that people flooded the shelves with their own books or something. Is it possible to add books to someone else's bookshelf?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 8:01:54 AM PDT
twinny says:
Who knows what people do on GR? Start secret groups and plot for world domination it seems...looks like a snake pit to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 8:06:44 AM PDT
Splinker says:
What is weird for me is that, until this Forum/STGRB/GR Bermuda triangle, GR seemed like a harmless place to me. People put books on their shelves, authors did give aways, and life went on.

I used GR to do a giveaway which was a huge success (for me), made one or two posts in discussion groups and that was about it.

I came into it a lamb, and left feeling sorer than Fifty Shades of Gray.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 8:07:35 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
You can't add books to someone else's bookshelves. That would be comparable to me editing your profile here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 8:09:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 8:12:13 AM PDT
Splinker says:
That's what I thought. They must have meant they were flooded with comments.

Edit: I misread the blog. They were saying that the comment section was flooded with authors from "their own group."

NM.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 7:12:21 PM PDT
Belle says:
You can add books to a list someone else created on Listopia.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 7:22:04 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Seriously, does anyone really, really, really care?

This drama is all so wearying.

People who keep jumping into the fray are going to get bloodied. Why is this so surprising?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 10:08:12 AM PDT
Splinker says:
There's a fray?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 5:56:39 PM PDT
peachbird76 says:
I'm a fray so.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 8:07:49 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 1:20:45 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:29:17 AM PST
So, looks like you've got a beef with that fray?? :)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:52:40 AM PST
Isn't mush room for doubt...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:51:34 AM PST
Flaky pastry's always best for flaky arguments...

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:55:36 AM PST
<< I am sure I am loved there as elsewhere, but I've received a few emails from people who are under the impression that I am associated with them. >>

That's impossible. You're only half associated with yourself most of the time :)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:31:59 PM PST
cathyr says:
Today I saw on that site a post from an author attempting to blackmail a young woman.

He has threatened to publish *her* private and confidential hospital records. He will apparently do this because he feels she is "attacking" him via reviews and goodreads shelving.

Now, we know that site moderates all posts to it. They are fully aware of what he has posted on *their* site, and what he is threatening to do on his. They are supporting his blackmail, and his gloating about it. They APPROVE it.

I am aware people from the Amazon forums support the actions stgrb takes. Given posts that are made here are republished there, they must read them. Let me be really clear here: This is not appropriate behaviour. You DO NOT threaten anyone to publish hospital records. You DO NOT make accusations regarding extremely personal medical situations. And you certainly DO NOT "lol" about it.

You authors who still think "they're not that bad", "there's a kernel of truth in what they say", "we must fight fire with fire", start thinking about what that "fire" might be. THIS IS BULLYING. This is what they claim to fight against. This is what drives the reviewers away from you. This is why people get angry enough to "shelve" your books. If you are supporting them, please think twice. THEY ARE THE BULLIES.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:07:26 AM PST
Well said, Cathyr.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:15:31 AM PST
Splinker says:
Is that post still up?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 5:21:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 9:58:14 PM PST
If the hospital is in the United States.... And if she knows which hospital she needs to contact the hospital administration immediately. Medical records are covered by HIPAA regulations. The penalties for disclosing data covered by HIPAA are not pleasant. I handle HIPAA data I need to go look up who is penalized. I believe the hospital is obligated to open an investigation into how HIPAA data was inappropriately disclosed.

ETC typo

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:33:09 AM PST
Exposing someone's hospital records or ANY personal information of that sort is a decided no-no.

Do you have the link to where that is being done - which part of their site? I notice that on their front page they say they are not doing things like that - but if there's a direct link on their own site showing where that is happening, surely that can be pointed out to them and the entry removed? And if they do NOT remove that entry, certainly they would appear to be mealy-mouthed at the very least.

Personally I think lists of any kind whether naming authors or reviewers/readers is a really, really bad idea. And when it gets to the stage of airing personal, sensitive data, it's a decided step too far.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:01:39 PM PST
cathyr says:
The "threat" is a comment to their "Special Requests" post; the author links to his blog. He (IMO) very clearly states he is intending to air dirty linen, no matter what the reviewer does. On his blog he states he intends to post a piece of paper he got from a hospital. Which, as it happens, may or may not exist. And may or may not mean anything. It could be a car pass. Or it could be records if payment. Or actual medical notes.

But STGRB don't know any better than we do, do they?

There is obviously a lot of history here. But both parties are clear any sort of relationship between them occurred when she was 17-18 (a few years ago).

My issue is that the STGRB site moderates *all* comments that go through it. Before posting here I attempted to post there and call the author on this. It did not get through.

I can only assume the site approves this author's tactics. His bullying. He is apparently their poster child for Author Done Wrong. And this is how he/they choose to address it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:05:34 PM PST
>>Personally I think lists of any kind whether naming authors or reviewers/readers is a really, really bad idea. And when it gets to the stage of airing personal, sensitive data, it's a decided step too far.<<

It's not just a step too far. It's illegal.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 2:04:16 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Mara et al are correct. Publishing of personal health information is illegal. I worked in a hospital when the HIPAA regulations were first introduced.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 2:25:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 6:44:15 PM PST
Guy Bailey says:
The STGRB concept is classic. It shows how much people on social media are into fighting. It's an intellectual battle rather than a street brawl, but fighting none the less. A lot of people on these forums obviously thrive on doing battle too. The argumentative threads about behaviour really go off.

It's all spam in my opinion.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions