Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

What are you reading now?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1807 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2012 4:31:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 4:33:20 PM PST
What are you reading at the moment? If you are betwixt and between, what did you just finish or what are you about to start reading?

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 4:55:03 PM PST
Miss M says:
I've been happy to see my library starting to add e-backlists of mystery series and am starting to pick those up. After reading the first in the Swedish Martin Beck series Roseanna: A Martin Beck Police Mystery (1) (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) in DTB several years ago, I've now been able to find more, including The Martin Beck series - The Man Who Went Up in Smoke, The Fire Engine that Disappeared (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard), The Laughing Policeman (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) and The Martin Beck series - Cop Killer. The complete 10-book series was first published in the 60's & 70's and is considered the father (or maybe grandfather?) of the Scandinavian mystery writers/series so popular today. That being said, some of the newer Vintage reprints with Introductions by "highly acclaimed" writers like Val McDermid, Jonathan Frantzen, Colin Dexter, etc, also feature some pretty egregious *insert Swedish cursing here* plot spoilers...

Also starting to catch up on Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon national park ranger/mystery series as they become available from the library.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 5:17:25 PM PST
I'm 75% done with Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts) and plan to finish it tonight. I'm @ 25% of the KBF group read In the Blood (A Genealogical Crime Mystery) for March. Not sure what I'm going to read when I'm done with those -- I'm doing a UF/PNR theme for this month's reading & I have a huge pile of books to choose from.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 5:32:44 PM PST
Hersheygirl says:
Wow. You guys must be fast readers. I'm reading my first Stephen King novel. 11/22/63 and so far, loving it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 6:23:45 PM PST
Shelly: I just finished that one! :-)
Now I am re-reading (yet again!) one of my all-time favorites:
All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, and All Things Wise and Wonderful: Three James Herriot Classics

Love 'em!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 6:42:15 PM PST
Hersheygirl says:
That's so cool! I hope you liked it, because so far, I'm very intrigued.
PS I read the James Herriot books years ago and I love them too!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 6:48:56 PM PST
I did. I will say no more, though...

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 8:28:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2012 8:32:45 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries) by Dorothy L. Sayers. (In P&I, since it's not available in the US in Kindle format yet.)

I've been rereading all of Dorothy L. Sayers' novels as I'm able to pick them up -- trying to read them more-or-less in order -- and I'm thoroughly enjoying them. I last read any by her in my early teens, I think, and I don't remember them being anything special, though I did enjoy them, so I think that my life experience has improved them for me, if that makes any sense.

I'm also reading In the Blood (A Genealogical Crime Mystery) and hope to get into it more later in the week.

I've started The Night Watchman Express, which is pretty good so far, though I've not gotten very far into it.

I just finished Dexter of Pozzelby this weekend -- read it more or less in one sitting -- and enjoyed it very much. I was in the mood for a YA Fantasy (I've been in and out of that mood a lot lately -- it's nice escapist reading, I guess), so the book was perfect for the moment.

(Edited because I foolishly hit post instead of insert.)

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 8:30:15 PM PST
I finished Unholy Ghosts. Started Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, which was either a freebie or a 99-cent book I picked up at some point in the far distant past.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 8:33:44 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Since you like YA Fantasy, you should pick up the Dexter of Pozzelby book, Christine -- it's free (and I know you don't look for them), so if it turns out it's not your cuppa, not much lost. I think you'll enjoy it, though.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 11:36:42 PM PST
J. Stein says:
Lately, a wide variety of short stuff. Just read "The House Behind a Weeping Cherry" by Ha Jin.

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/04/07/080407fi_fiction_jin

I liked it, especially how he made the prostitutes real people and not caricatures.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 7:55:23 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 6, 2012 9:08:46 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:03:52 AM PST
ummm.... a thread titled what are you reading now...? :)

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:14:34 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 7, 2012 3:30:35 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:16:54 AM PST
I'm reading Inside the Outside. I have to say, I'm impressed.
This is a story of a cannibalistic cult who are taught that hair is evil. It's realistic, fascinating and disturbing.
Also, this book has the least amount of errors or typos than I have seen in YEARS. I have come across 1 at around the 68% area. One.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 8:17:26 AM PST
I just read Behind Bars by Jason Harrod. Fantastically hilarious, sad, and loaded.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:17:29 AM PST
Deedles says:
Just finished rereading for the umpteenth time, the whole Mapp and Lucia series. The whole shebang is
in one volume: Make Way for Lucia. It is the without doubt one of the most hilarious books I have ever read.
British humour, wicked jockeying for social position and great eccentrics make this a cult favorite. The TV series is available for streaming on Netflix. E. F. Benson is a genius, and my hero. If you like P. G. Wodehouse then you will absolutely go bonkers for this gang. Give it a try, it is worth searching for. Mapp and Lucia is on Kindle, but try to get the whole series in order, if you can.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 10:05:47 AM PST
BobP says:
The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:23:19 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
I'm reading Tender Graces by Kathryn Magendie. Borrowed through the Prime KOLL. I am loving it.
A young woman is remembering her turbulent childhood. I am 58% through and most of it has been from her view point as a child. It is set in the south in the 1960's. The girl's parents are having marital problems and the kids are really caught in the middle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 11:00:24 AM PST
Bob,
I had forgotten The Onion Field!

I love Wambaugh!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 11:09:44 AM PST
Andie says:
I liked that book! I got it free a long time ago just to try it out, and was surprised by it.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 11:13:11 AM PST
Andie says:
I am reading Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil right now. I am about 30% through it and am not crazy about it. It's intended as sort of an expose on olive oil, but the author has no sources other than anecdotal stories and interviews with olive oil producers. It's also kind of boring. Bleh. I'll finish it probably, if only to see what he has to say about choosing olive oil.

I am also re-reading Doctors which I love sooo much, but isn't on kindle so I have to hold up the DTB. #first world problems, I know.

Hmm...finally I just started a sample of Violet Patterson's Ryder on the Storm: Emerald Seer I which so far is pretty intriguing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 11:27:31 AM PST
Snagged it. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:01:54 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:15:42 AM PST
Kat S. says:
I was reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell By Susanna Clarke. Its really interesting so far but I bought Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Random Riggs for 3.99 and started that last night!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 73 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xd88efc40)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  360
Total posts:  1807
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions