Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Restr In Peace, M.T.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 171 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2012 4:19:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 6:30:58 PM PDT
Splinker says:
I come to bury M.T., not to praise him.

M.T. is -- was -- an author. And like all of us, he had his flaws.
MT's flaw was pride. Or maybe ego. I don't remember. But he came to to MOA an innocent, more or less. He came and he did the one thing no author is allowed to do here, ever. He complained.

Not the usual complaint. He wasn't angry at any review he'd received or upset over how people treated him in the forum. No, MT's complaint was, at first blush, hardly anything worth getting upset over. He simply wished that people would talk about his book after getting it for free.

Now, we all know it's wrong for an author to expect anything once a customer has their book. It's theirs, of course. They are entitled to talk about it or remain silent. That's their right.

Until yesterday, I thought perhaps an author had a right as well. The right to complain -- not to the customer -- but to other authors. or at least just generally in the forum.

MT didn't start out a monster. He started out as a writer who had a thought. It was a simple thought.

And they killed him for it.

Not immediately, of course. It started with the usual posts pretending to engage in reasoned discourse. But that didn't last.
It never does.

Soon a crowd gathered. A crowd with pointy sticks. They began to gently poke MT. So gently that at first MT thought he was having a discussion.

But soon enough the attacks came fast and furious and MT, perhaps not the brightest light in the sky, fought back. But by then there was blood in the water and it was too late.

Three pages...seven...ten...forty... They kept coming. Attacking, dissecting, page snapping, preaching, explaining.

In the end, there was nothing left of MT. Just a small pile of bloody, pointy sticks.

He was a man. He was a storyteller. And yes, he was a fool. Three things this cold, virtual world, is not overly fond of.

I can't say MT will be missed. Or that his death was not in vain. But I can hope. Hope for a day when the forums are more than an ambush. A day when writers and readers can engage in normal discourse without the taste of blood tainting every post.

A day when a writer, or a Scamp, or a G.Faso, or an Anna, or a Stargate, can make a mistake and not be condemned to drag it with them, like some bloated albatross, until the end of their days.

A day when an Amazon Review Mafia, both real and imagined, will be a forgotten memory. A day when a person is not judged by the words in their posts, but by the unique and holy spark that flickers in all of us.

Goodbye MT. You ended your life here as a monster, but we will remember you for what you were from the beginning to the end. A holy spark among holy sparks. You were one of us and we should have loved you.

And let us say, Amen.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 6:45:49 AM PDT
Elly Helcl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 6:58:22 AM PDT
Psylocide says:
*Lays down pointy stick and walks into the sunset*

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:15:01 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Don't forget to sign the guest book.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 8:15:41 AM PDT
Splinker says:
22 downvotes. Might be a record for me. Perhaps I managed to incur the wrath of both camps.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:19:46 AM PDT
You do try.

Self-destruction is always so sad.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 8:20:17 AM PDT
I've never heard of this M.T. person.
But from reading your post... he sounds like a bit of a dumba$$.
No offense to the newly departed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:24:47 AM PDT
It's been an ongoing issue over in MOA and BBA.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:26:18 AM PDT
Ohhhh.... ok. Thank you Ness.
Gawd, I feel so uninformed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:26:54 AM PDT
Started here and a similar tone over in KDP. The first few posters copy and pasted when he tried to cover his tracks.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx253LN0BJN5XUF

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:29:40 AM PDT
There's no time like the present. Let me go see what all the hub-bub is about.
Yes, I have too much time on my hands. : )

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:32:45 AM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
It's a very long read, just a cautionary add.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:53:02 AM PDT
Splinker says:
That's just one of the many things I do to myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:53:54 AM PDT
Splinker says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scXVSqL_hsQ

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 8:54:25 AM PDT
Psylocide says:
restr

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 8:54:38 AM PDT
Splinker says:
I agree. I couldn't be bothered to actually read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 9:14:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 11:24:43 AM PDT
Wow, you weren't kidding Matthew.... over 1000 posts.
Alright, I read enough to see what's going on. I think.
The way I saw it was, an author was frustrated & pi$$ed off, feeling unappreciated. He wanted to be acknowledged in some way by all of his readers for the work he had into his book(s). Reviews, Tweets, FB, etc.
Have I got it right? Then readers & authors alike gave him hell for his whining & unrealistic expectations. Am I close here?
You know what I think? He did exactly what that Brimson guy did. You know.... bad publicity is better then no publicity. They have both succeeded in getting their names (and books) all over the internet. Yes, I think they'll lose some readers because of the negative publicity... but I also think they'll sell books they never would have otherwise.
It's an old tried but true advertising/publicity strategy. Look at the proof, I'd never heard of him.... until now. Even if he didn't plan it, I believe he will sell books because of it. JMO

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 9:21:28 AM PDT
Splinker says:
If this works out and he sells books because of it, all I can say is "look out Amazon. you haven't seen nothing yet."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 9:23:09 AM PDT
Psylocide says:
Lol... how are your sales? You get a decent amount of posts out every day. Has it helped?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 9:25:18 AM PDT
God help us all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 9:31:00 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Sales are sluggish but I think a good part of what there is comes from my forum presence. And probably my Mom.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 10:09:38 AM PDT
It hasn't worked so far.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 11:08:48 AM PDT
Elly Helcl says:
I would cry, as an author, if the only reason my book started selling, was because I turned into a raving lunatic. :( Why would you want to attach that kind of bad publicity to your untarnished name?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 11:15:24 AM PDT
Splinker says:
It works for Ann Coultre.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 11:22:25 AM PDT
Elly Helcl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  171
Initial post:  Oct 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions