Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

AmaDome! 2012: Round I. Arena III

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 92 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2012 7:21:25 AM PST
Splinker says:
Listen all! This is the truth of it.

Writing leads to drinking, and drinking leads to posting.
And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone yelling about spam and Obama.

But we've learned, by the dust of them all... AmaDome learned. Now, when writer's get to writing, it happens here! And it finishes here!

Two writers enter; one writer leaves.

Welcome to AMADOME 2012! ARENA III

Arenas I and II are still being set up, so we're going to start with Arena III. This is the tournament AmaDome, with prizes and anything. So read carefully.

The Genre: Romance!

I'll post them shortly. Get out your tissues (don't tell me how you use them). And let's play!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:16:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 8:05:22 AM PST
Splinker says:
MEMORIES
By Lilian Kendrick
I called you today and got through to your Voice Mail. You know how that confuses me - I can't talk to those things, so I thought a quick email to explain would be in order; I hope you don't mind; I know I said I wasn't going to contact you again. Well, that's what I said to myself anyway; I don't think I actually said it to you. I've forgotten so much. It was all so insignificant now I look back on it.

Actually, I was hoping that you might have returned my call, but...well, you didn't and I didn't want to leave things hanging in the air unfinished; you know I like everything neat and tidy. Oh, wait...you didn't know I'd called, did you? I didn't leave a message; silly me! I told you I keep forgetting all the stuff that isn't important.

Would you believe, last night I forgot that I gave up smoking two years ago? Yes, I actually forgot and bought cigarettes. When I got home, I realised I didn't have a lighter. Well, I don't smoke - so why would I have a lighter? I ended up lighting the cigarettes from the gas cooker. I smoked five that way. Boy was my throat sore. That was when I remembered I don't smoke anymore. Scatty, or what?

Anyway, why am I writing to you? I seem to have gone off the subject a bit... OK, yes, back to the point. I thought you should know I'm not going to bother you any more. In fact, after I'd struggled to remember your email address, I realised there's a whole list of things I've completely forgotten. So I decided to send a copy to you as proof that I know it's over.

1. My mind is blank on the subject of pizza and cartoons on Friday nights.

2. I can't remember that ghastly after-shave your mother gave you.

3. I have no recollection of your weakness for strong coffee, (with three sugars).

4. Your taste in music escapes me completely. (Hey, did you know Bon Jovi's touring in March?)

5. If I could remember anything, I'd tell you to renew your prescription; you must be running out of Ventolin by now.

6. I never even think about the electricity of our first kiss.

7. I have completely forgotten the ecstasy of lying naked in your arms, or the touch of your hands, or the taste of your body, or the many other joys of our lovemaking.

You see, I do know it's over, and I'm OK with that, at last. So, I guess I'm writing to set you free. I'm sure there was something else I wanted to say, but right now I've forgotten what it was. Perhaps I'll call you when I remember. (Not that it's important, or anything.)

OK, well, that's about it from me. Have a nice life.

Love you lots!

(Just a figure of speech - between friends, you know... I wouldn't want you to attach any undue significance to it.)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:19:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 8:05:57 AM PST
Splinker says:
SERENDIPITY.
By Irish Reader

Rose sat in the hotel foyer, a thin, angular woman, her long, sun-ravaged face topped by a head of bleached, close-cropped hair. Through the hotel doors she could see the sky over bondi beach: it was a shade close to lavender. She'd already rung Geraldine's room and a second later the lift doors slid open and a broad, squat form emerged. Despite the heat outside, Geraldine wore a polo neck and slacks. Her face made Rose think of some Italian pontiff - it was a cruel, rather fleshy face, with grey, faintly bulbous eyes and an imperious beak of a nose. Geraldine had only ever signed herself `Geraldine F.' in any of their correspondences but once coyly admitted her surname was Italian in origin - despite how her family had been based in the UK for generations - so that made sense.

It was also an unashamedly sensual face. Rose felt a tingle of anticipation. Yes, Geraldine would do very nicely. Very nicely indeed!

Geraldine scanned the lobby with a quick, professional eye before catching sight of her. She seemed pleased with what she saw. They'd exchanged photographs but of course there was nothing like seeing each other in person.

They shook hands. Geraldine's handshake was strong, almost mannish. `How very nice to meet you!' It was an unmistakeably English accent, neither posh nor common but somewhere between the two. It reminded Rose of the comedian, Jo Brand.

`Gudday,' Rose found herself saying despite herself.
`Right then,' Geraldine said, studying her with a matter-of-fact anticipation. `Shall we get down to business?'

Rose sat on the bed as Geraldine unpacked. Of course Geraldine could have unpacked before coming down to meet her, but she was beginning to understand that her soon-to-be lover had a strong sense of theatre. A vibrator. A whip. A pair of furry manacles. Geraldine laid them out in a neat line, her breathing growing heavier and more pronounced with each item.

`I'm afraid, Rose,' she said. `I'm afraid that you've been a very, very naughty girl.'

Afterwards they had dinner down in the hotel restaurant, Rose sore but happy, Geraldine eating her lobster with gusto. There was very little to be said that hadn't already been discussed via e-mail. Consummating their relationship had simply been the last stage of their courtship. She already knew Geraldine was a teacher in some school in the north midlands, that she hated her job and felt unappreciated by her principal, just as Geraldine knew her to be a successful, self-made business woman - it was the pressures of such self-sufficiency that made Rose luxuriate in being humiliated.

`Only you've never told me exactly what you do for living, have you?' Geraldine said, popping another forkful of food into her mouth.

`I'm a writer.'

`Really?' Geraldine was genuinely surprised. `Trad or indie?'

Rose was caught off-guard - she hadn't expected such terms to trip so easily off Geraldine's tongue, so it was a moment before she answered. `Indie.'

`Ah,' All Geraldine's attention was on her plate again. `Ever spent any time on any of those Amazon forums?'

`Some.'

`Awful, aren't they? Those bloody women - descending on any innocent self-pubbed author like a pack of harpies, and tearing the flesh off their bones. Metaphorically speaking, of course.'

It was a second before Rose realized why Geraldine's comment seemed so familiar. There was a moment of disgust - a moment in which Rose wanted to throw down her napkin and leave that restaurant without a backward glance - but then she remembered just how intensely pleasurable their coupling had been earlier and her revulsion was replaced by a certain creeping sympathy.

So they'd interacted on those selfsame forums without ever even realizing it. Been enemies. Geraldine's online name hadn't given any indication of her gender. Rose had always pictured a man, elderly and irascible. She'd been wrong.

Only now Geraldine's misogyny made perfect sense. Geraldine wasn't the first lesbian to hate women and she certainly wouldn't be the last - it was a hatred rooted in self-loathing, just like her own masochism.

She was just secretly forgiving Geraldine for her many past misdemeanours when Geraldine asked - `so what do you write?'
`Lesbian erotica.'

Geraldine put down her knife and fork and studied her in open bewilderment. `Really? Isn't there another woman with the same surname who -`

Rose reached out and squeezed Geraldine's wrist, gently but firmly. `Ann is my middle name, Geraldine -`
`Oh my God!' Geraldine was visibly distressed. She pushed back her chair and tried to rise to her feet, but Rose wouldn't let her hand go. `Don't be silly, Geraldine -`

`But you're -'
`Sit down. You're making a scene.'

After a moment Geraldine sat down and recommenced eating her dinner, but now in quick, angry mouthfuls. Rose studied her with a pitying smile. `You know why nobody likes us? It's because we don't like ourselves very much.' She reached out and stopped yet another forkful of food reaching its destination. `But that can change, Geraldine. If we want it to.'

Geraldine put down her cutlery, sat back and studied her glassily before emitting a small burp. `Maybe you're right,' she admitted finally. A tentative smile. `Meeting up like this - it does rather change things, doesn't it?'

Rose leaned forward, so close that their faces were almost touching, so close that several nearby diners cast them curious glances.

`Geraldine,' she said softly. `It changes everything.'

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:06:13 AM PST
Splinker says:
Vote!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:40:18 AM PST
Splinker says:
Not your typical romances!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:28:56 AM PST
They're so very different ... hard to choose.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 11:47:51 AM PST
Splinker says:
No one ever said this would be easy.
No excuses!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:09:33 PM PST
OK - I'm going to vote for "Memories"

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:16:45 PM PST
I like the quirky humour in Memories and I am kind of irritated by Serendipity, which isn't romance it is an homage to misogyny, but hidden within the pretense of female characters. Not very subtly I might add and I can give a good guess who wrote both of them.

Going to vote for Memories, because Serendipity fails the romance benchmark and this is about having fun and not having a sarcastic pop at forum members.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:47:54 PM PST
I vote for MEMORIES

Thanks for the great reads everyone

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 1:07:21 PM PST
Splinker says:
Rock da vote!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:40:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:06:47 PM PST
MEMORIES

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:01:52 PM PST
Antonia says:
Im voting for Memories, thank you

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:24:22 PM PST
Splinker says:
And Memories draws first blood with a strong start.
Keep 'em coming.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:03:11 PM PST
Memories. The other one is a thinly disguised self pub "ARM" whine and sucks the fun right out of Amadome. Really bad form.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:13:27 PM PST
Splinker says:
Vote bump!

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:31:15 PM PST
Matthew Fish says:
I enjoyed the uncoventional storytelling of Memories, but even if it is a sacastic jab..I was entertained by Serendipity a bit more, so there goes my vote.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:39:15 PM PST
Splinker says:
And Serendipity draws blood!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:41:51 AM PST
Irish reader says:
'Memories' gets my vote, as it plays nicely against reader expectations. 'Serendipity' is perverse for the sake of being perverse, uses 'anticipation' twice, and I'm pretty sure G.F. really is a man.

Also, what on earth are 'furry manacles'?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 4:11:23 AM PST
Furry manacles...handcuffs with fuzz perhaps?
I plead total innocence to how I aquired that knowledge though.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:19:51 AM PST
Splinker says:
Morning vote.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:23:01 AM PST
I will go for... Memories

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:24:00 AM PST
Harumph!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 6:33:14 AM PST
Splinker says:
Is that a vote?

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:40:49 AM PST
No.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  92
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions