Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Drive-by book chat:: Hans Gruber

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 11:19:36 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:12:31 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:39:24 PM PST
Splinker says:
THe reading public demands answers!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:55:34 PM PST
Miss M says:
Bah - forget all this 'book' chat; inquiring readers wanna know if it's true he had a three-way with Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber and if we can expect to see the tell-all published by Johnny Depp's new imprint.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 1:02:50 PM PST
Don't you mean, "makes polite inquiring noises?"

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:20:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 2:21:32 PM PST
Gomb says:
Thank you for the compliment, it's always nice to be recognized for one's accomplishments and I'm glad you asked this question. My research is all done in-house, and what I mean by that is when exploring a new topic I will typically sit in my house for days doing nothing but wearing a silk jacket and smoking a pipe. Depending on what I am putting in said pipe, the ideas tend to flow very quickly as I ask myself ridiculous questions starting with 'what if?'. What if Mary Poppins had landed in the war-torn Gaza strip instead of England? What if notorious emperor Hirohito was actually a closeted homosexual who just wanted to be a dancer? From there it is all downhill... once the idea is formed, I can lock the doors and knock out a full length novel on most any subject in just a few redbull-fueled days. I thank you for the opportunity to share this creative process with my fanbase, and would be glad to answer any other questions about my work!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:38:27 PM PST
Fascinating!
What about your pseudonyms? Do they have any special significance?
What inspired you to choose a name like "PvP guy" for instance?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:12:38 AM PST
Psylocide says:
Too much WoW.

(for those of you in my generation: Too much D2)

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:51:36 AM PST
Wot's WoW?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 12:40:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 12:40:25 PM PST
Gomb says:
It's funny you should ask, that's almost an interesting story! I was in the local video game forum here and I made some disparaging comments in the "Diablo 3" thread, which is a friendly game where players work together to slay monsters. I believe I called them a bunch of cooperating carebears or something to that effect and I was met with a reply to "shut up, PvP guy", with PvP referring to the player-versus-player type games that I prefer. Rather than get upset, I adopted the annoying name as my own handle for a few months before it began to irritate me as well. 'Royalcrab' was my favorite dish at the local sushi restaurant that I used to frequent until one day I realized that my city is 1,000 miles from any major body of water. Any other questions?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:25:10 PM PST
Psylocide says:
Well, PvP in D2 was pretty intense and war still wages on several servers today.

The biggest gripe about PvP in D2 was that a player could go hostile, maphack to find you, then haul ass to where you are in-game and kill your player. After that happened, you would be 'naked' and have to run to your corpse and had basically zero defenses. So, players would wait on top of portals for 'naked' people to come through, then 'naked kill' that player (or group of players) over and over and over again.

Of course, if you were one of the good players (i.e. did nothing but CS and MF all day) then you really had a good time going through these motions. In fact, PvP in D2 was so heated that rivalries between clans went on for YEARS. I know, because I was there.

So, yes... calling diehard D3 fans 'care bears' could strike a nerve with some.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:31:17 PM PST
I don't think anybody in any book-related forum has ever been called a care bear. I'd say the atmosphere here is as PvP as you can get. And if naked killing is your thing, all you have to do is wait around for some clueless indie to come scurrying through the portals to the KBF and pounce on him.
Which brings me to my next question: Hans (can I call you Hans?) I noticed that you get attacked a lot, with people calling your books non-existent and so forth. What is your reaction to this hostility? Do you find that it hinders your marketing efforts? Does it make you suicidal or even just mildly depressed? What advice would you give to a young writer of fictitious books who's just starting out on these forums?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:36:50 PM PST
ganking rezing players is so challenging.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:41:50 PM PST
Psylocide says:
Meh, if you were any good... you could get back.

However, a skilled hammerdin telelagging or blizz sorc doing the same pretty much meant you were toast.

The key was to be opening tps the instant you got out of town and have plenty of full juvs on hand. Then you could either leave town from the gate or tp through, and it usualy did enough to keep them guessing. Waiting for other newbs to make a run for it, then sneaking out through the gate or your tp was usually the best tactic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:44:21 PM PST
Indeed.

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 6:36:19 AM PST

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:37:52 AM PST

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:27:03 AM PST
To B., alternately the most pathetic and biggest suck up in the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 8:59:25 AM PST
I suck up to no one, I'm crushed by your hurtful remark. No, I'm devastated. Name names, I challenge you to name a name. I easily garner 8-12 downvotes consistantly, and not a single yea vote in any of my posts. You're the only one I would ever consider sucking up to. Now back to the BBA Island and do battle. Make me proud.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 9:05:05 AM PST

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 9:37:55 AM PST
Amazed Grace, I notice that they booted you off their island, and you never fought back. Sad. It just goes to show that the upvotes you got here, were because of the B., not because they like you, but that they disagree with B.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:34:22 AM PST

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:45:59 AM PST

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:52:27 AM PST
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions