Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Books that have the same cover art...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2012 9:37:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 9:39:40 PM PST
Jessica Ree says:
This has been annoying me greatly of late. I guess its silly to be bothered, but I keep seeing this same cover art pop up on several books... Any idea where it originated? The books that have it are as follows:

Chosen (The Seeker Saga, #1)

The Hedgewitch Queen

Gravity (The Gravity Series)

And there is one more, though I can't remember it at the moment... Will post it when I encounter it again...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 10:35:41 PM PST
janna hill says:
OMG you're right! Crop, color and contrast changed but same cover with different authors.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 11:15:50 PM PST
Maybe it's a royalty free pic that's available in a collection somewhere. If so, multiple authors could find it and use it for their cover art, tweaking it however they see fit. I've incorporated royalty free clip art in my website, my books' cover art & my book trailer, and I've seen other authors using some of the same images I have.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 11:20:29 PM PST
Yes, it's a stock photo. I use stock art all the time. Most publishers do if they don't take their own photos.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 11:24:20 PM PST
I think I can answer that question. Authors are using stock photo's which inevitably have the ability to be used by as many people that buy them.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 5:18:13 AM PST
Jrzin says:
I care (a little) that the cover art fits the contents of the book. I couldn't care less if it is on other books. Actually, I'd rather it were than that the book cost more to cover the costs of original art work for a kindle. For a dtb, it matters a little more but I very, very rarely see the cover art anyway once the book is in the cloud or on my kindle.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 5:27:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 12:26:22 PM PST
I use pictures of snow landscapes as my cover art, I snap them myself. I prefer to let the work speak for it self, the cover need not be so dramatic. This year however here in the NE, there has been a miserable lack of snow. I may have to delve into free clip art for a few covers until I can get some more snow shots.

example; The Awakening, Book One: The first in a 14 book series. This 14 book series has also been published as a trilogy. (The White Witch Series)

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 6:24:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 6:28:28 AM PST
I'm not saying this is this case for the photos posted above (it isn't), but sometimes people steal books and resell them with the same cover art, but a new (similar) name. This happened to Aaron Polson. Some scam artist took his book, changed the title, then resold it as his own.

I don't know how common this is, but if you see a the same cover a couple times, it might be worth checking into. Here's a post about the whole thing (this is *not* my website): http://www.robertswartwood.com/insights/worse-than-pirating/

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 8:41:08 AM PST
janna hill says:
Re; Anthony J. Rapino's link. Thanks for the insight.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 9:12:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 9:13:00 AM PST
You got it, Janna! Anything we can do to increase awareness about awful acts like that, I'm all for it. This part of Mr. Swartwood's article just about sums it up for me:

"As I've said before, while I don't agree with pirating, it's a reality we all need to face. And, to be honest, it doesn't really bother me. The way I see it, those who download my books from pirate sites wouldn't have even considered buying the books in the first place. And, who knows, maybe they'll really enjoy that pirated book and seek out more of my work.

But someone taking my e-books and putting them up on pirated sites is one thing.

Someone taking my e-books and doing like they did to Aaron - republishing them under a different name and cover for profit - is %#@&*@# despicable.

How can we fight this sort of injustice?

By being vigilant, for one."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 12:01:44 PM PST
I'm going to start doing this too. I have a T3i and know a bunch of models and actors/actresses so I may keep downloading backgrounds and use my own models.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 11:55:12 PM PST
If you want a suggestion for good book covers Nathyn then don't insert your models over a stock background. No matter how hard you work on it unless you are a photoshop master then it looks like a cut and paste job.

The best thing to do is photograph your model in approximately appropriate clothing in front of an approximately appropriate backdrop. The photograph may look like a cheap costume in front of some front yard shrubbery. But then you work the magic on it. You use photoshop or one of the free photo editing software programs to convert it to look like a painting. Pastels or oils works good. Then when the high resolution image is cropped and reduced in size to fit the cover of the book, what started out as a girl in a white dress in front of some rhododendrons becomes a princess in a gown in a forest.

The photo to painting conversion process would never survive close inspection at the original size but reduction makes it look like an image of a real painting was reduced. Heck, I've got an app called "paper camera" on my phone and I've used it with the camera in the phone to make some amazing pictures that I use as wallpaper for my computer.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 3:01:38 AM PST
Jrzin says:
"sometimes people steal books and resell them with the same cover art, but a new (similar) name." and "Someone taking my e-books and doing like they did to Aaron - republishing them under a different name and cover for profit - is %#@&*@# despicable."

I totally agree. That is wrong, despicable, theft...)

And (as Anthony says) a different point. Just using free domain art work or buying the rights to art work to put on your own work is not - even if someone else also uses that art work.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 5:55:32 AM PST
"And (as Anthony says) a different point. Just using free domain art work or buying the rights to art work to put on your own work is not - even if someone else also uses that art work. "

Absolutely. I hope I didn't confuse the issue here, and thank you, Jrzin, for clarifying that point.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 7:58:24 AM PST
H.S. St Ours says:
Some great ideas and good guidance in this discussion. I wrote a blog on creating your own cover over on Katheryn Lane's site, including the proper use (if at all) of stock photos. Should you be interested:

http://katheryn-lane.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-create-great-book-cover.html

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 10:53:41 PM PST
I think I qualify for "mastership". I've been doing Photoshop for about 20 years now. Several of my covers got in iStockphoto's Designer's spotlight and I do all of my own graphic design. But stock art is getting so expensive, unless you buy from Dreamstime or something.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 12:07:52 PM PST
Hey gang: FUnny ! Great post in the FYI category. I had stumbled across two of those books. WARNING: i can lead to a sense of both Deva Vu and Early Onset Alzheimers :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 12:25:03 PM PST
stock photo sites...?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:31:42 PM PST
Getty Images. But some of them blow up fine and others pixelate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:10:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:25:01 PM PST
Ederyn says:
North of Beautiful
Simplicity
Evermore

There's also a fourth one that isn't available on Amazon:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6576403-selena-penaluna

ETA: to fix link

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:26:35 PM PST
This discussion belongs in the MOA forum, not here.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions