Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Books that stick.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2012 4:37:47 PM PDT
Splinker says:
Sometimes a story is told so well that it becomes part of you. One such book for me is The Book Thief I just can't shake it. Any others?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 4:41:25 PM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
Something that pretty much no one is going to agree with me with...Into the Wild

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 4:52:02 PM PDT
Splinker says:
I saw the movie. Maybe i will check out the book.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 2:36:11 AM PDT
G. Hatem says:
Ready Player One: A Novel is occupying a great deal of my mind right now. Also, Gracie: A Love Story (Signet) has stuck with me since I read it in the late '80s/early '90s. I think The Alchemist deserves to be in the conversation (for me, personally) as well as The Bridge Across Forever: A True Love Story. It's so hard to come up with such a small list! I feel like every book I've enjoyed has left some sort of lasting impression on me.

Regarding "pretty much no one is going to agree with me" above: There might be some common threads, but I think the choices here are so personal- how can one really judge what impact a book has on another person?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 3:36:11 AM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
Oh...I just mean whenever I bring it up in either real life, or someone asks me on the internet and I mention that book as one of my favorites, it is pretty much always met with some amount of negativity. That's just in my experience anyway, I'd like to hear something positive actually.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 5:08:26 AM PDT
Boy's Life

The Road

A Prayer for Owen Meany: A Novel

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 5:32:03 AM PDT
Alina says:
I'll agree with Charlene that Boy's Life is a sticky one but I only read it in the past year so it doesn't have history on me yet.

The book that does have history on me is Wuthering Heights. I read this as a teenager and I've reread it a number of times (though not in a long time, about due). It was my first introduction to the gothic genre and opened me up to the Bronte sisters writing. I went on to devour everything the Bronte's had written and to become an amateur Bronte scholar.

What I love about Wuthering Heights:
- the combination of savagery and gentility. People do the most abominable things to each other while being very polite.
- the love story. I'm not a Romance reader but I can't resist the romance between Cathy and Heathcliff.
- the isolation. Probably this has more of a resonance for me because my mother pretty much lived the life ofAngela's Ashes and I saw where she lived in an Irish bog outside of Dublin when I was 12 years old and it was the most remote, poverty stricken, incest encouraging place you could ever imagine.
- the messed up intergenerational transmission. That we're the product of our ancestors and that the children are poisoned by the transgressions of their parents.
- that they lived in great looking old houses. Not like me in suburban Australia.
- the PASSION of it all. Actually The Passion is an excellent book that I'd highly recommend to Charlene because I think she'd appreciate if she hasn't caught up with Winterson yet as an excellent writer.

What I hate about Wuthering Heights - it does go on a bit about things like the bloody crockery in the kitchen but it's hard to skip bits because you never know when a bit might actually pay off. I can see that there are boring bits for some. Also none of the characters are particularly likable.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 5:57:21 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Meany was fantastic. Still need to read A Boy's Life.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:32:12 AM PDT
Splinker, you really do need to read it. : )

Alina, that book looks interesting. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 6:38:07 AM PDT
Psylocide says:
Feersum Endjinn

This one has stuck with me for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:40:07 AM PDT
I've heard a lot about Iain Banks but haven't read anything by him.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:45:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 6:49:52 AM PDT
Alina says:
Geez, it's a fearsome price in Australia. Can you tell us a bit more about what it meant to you?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 6:57:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 7:11:31 AM PDT
Psylocide says:
His ideas are really great, it's a fun read.

However, there is one character whose part is written in phonetic English. Some people really hated that, but I didn't mind it once I got going.

ETA: This book was one of the first Sci-Fi novels that made me see that there was so much more to Sci-Fi than what I had previously been reading. It sparked my search for better writing in Sci-Fi novels and I have not been disappointed with what I've found. That change may have eventually happened on it's own, but this book was my catalyst.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:01:54 AM PDT
Unwind - a YA dystopia, but there is one chapter that sticks with me to this day and its been over a year since i've read it

Forbidden - very thought-provoking, I gave it 5 stars and I rarely do that with books

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:24:34 AM PDT
Frank Tuttle says:
A Night in the Lonesome October - So Bradburyish it nearly transcends Bradbury.

Riverworld: Including To Your Scattered Bodies Go & The Fabulous Riverboat - One of the single greatest concepts I've ever encountered.

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Bradbury at his best.

The Big Sleep & Farewell, My Lovely: AND Farewell My Lovely (Modern Library) - The essential tough-guy private eye. The writing is so good it hurts.

Chronicles of the Black Company: The Black Company - Shadows Linger - The White Rose: "The Black Company", "Shadows Linger", "The White - Epic fantasy so far removed from Lord of the Rings Mordor isn't even on the map. Gritty, often brutal, always unflinching. You'll come through the journey exhausted and saddened, but the memories will never fade.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 7:26:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 7:27:29 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Just read something wicked again. They don't make em like that any more.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 8:46:56 AM PDT
Frank Tuttle says:
I vacillate between naming Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Martian Chronicles as my favorite Bradbury works. Today I decided on Wicked. The man could write like no one before or since.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:06:19 AM PDT
G. Hatem - Are you a Richard Bach fan? One and Illusions are books that have stuck with me. I still try to dissipate clouds on a lazy afternoon and I often open a book randomly for a little inspiration.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 10:05:52 AM PDT
Definitely Something Wicked. Totally wonderful.

And he wrote one of the two best short stories ever: All Summer in a Day.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 3:37:40 PM PDT
@Frank: I vote for Something Wicked This Way Comes, Volume 1; I think it is his BEST book hands down.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 2:59:58 PM PDT
Bkworm Bren says:
Emmeline. Read it a long time ago, but still think of it now and then.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 2:42:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 2:54:14 PM PDT
Matthew Fish says:
That copy of Penthouse I found in my dad's closet when I was 13.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 2:57:03 PM PDT
Would that be "stick" in the literal form?

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 7:29:01 PM PDT
mochecat says:
A Prayer for Owen Meany and Book Thief for sure. Also, Watership Down.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:23:30 PM PST
Testimony of Two Men sticks with me. I do not think I have ever read a bookwith a character that I related more to than this one.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions