Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

The downside of reading

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2012 11:06:08 AM PST
Andie says:
Ever been so engrossed in a book that you missed your bus stop? That happened to me yesterday, and NOT for the first time! I need some sort of device to lift me out of a book when necessary so that the city's bus drivers and other people don't think I'm a complete idiot!

The book (this time) was Beggars in Spain (Sleepless), if you're interested.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 9:36:51 PM PST
Well, there are multiple location alarm apps for smartphones. The alarm goes off based not on time but on location.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:09:15 AM PST
Andie says:
I didn't know that! I guess there really *is* an app for everything! Off the appstore, I suppose. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 5:10:28 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Mmm. Been there. I've gotta say, when I read the subject of the thread, I thought, "Downside? There's a downside?" But I can definitely relate to missing your stop. I've done that on the Metro (in D.C.) and suddenly discovered I'm three stations past where I was supposed to get off. And they make announcements on the Metro, so theoretically, I should have noticed!

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 6:51:52 AM PST
Andie says:
I lived in DC for 6 years and during that time missed many stops due to books and just general not paying attention. The buses here also have a computer generated voice that announces all the stops - unfortunately nothing can penetrate the story in my head!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 7:04:03 AM PST
I've never done that. The only downside I've noticed is that I always seem to get to the best part of a book ten minutes before bed time.
Well going to bed five minutes late won't kill me.
So I get an hour less to sleep. No problem.
Okay, I'll only get four hours of sleep. No big deal; it's only one night.
Is that my alarm? Already? I'll definitely go to bed early tonight.
*picks up another book*

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 7:19:58 AM PST
The downside is never getting anything else accomplished because you can't put the book down until you find out what happens. Also, running into things because you don't want to stop reading while you walk around.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 12:14:25 PM PST
Zen Druid says:
Beggers in Spain is worth missing the bus for. Just grab a snack and keep reading on the bench.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:16:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 16, 2012 12:16:45 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions