Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Smooth Scrolling

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2011 1:09:40 PM PDT
rpm61 says:
Smooth scrolling! That's the one thing I want more than anything else. Sometimes it's not an issue, but very often I find myself wishing for smooth page scrolling, instead of only page to page scrolling through books. 2 reasons: it helps to place what I'm reading in the middle of the screen, and 2. very often information is broken between pages that I would very much prefer to view as a whole, sometimes the 2 column view alleviates this, but that makes it smaller as well. Smooth scrolling! Please make smooth scrolling a priority for the next Kindle for PC update. And find a better way to manage supplemental content. So often books that come with CD's don't have that content or links to it with the Kindle version, and this is sometimes critical. If it's not available, it should at least be pointed out on the books' page that the CD content will not be available. This is never the case as of now. Very poor.

Posted on Apr 7, 2011 1:10:45 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 5:41:29 PM PST
Nev Delap says:
He says Kindle for PC.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 4:35:56 PM PST
mhn354 says:
Smooth scrolling is a MUST on my PC for any type of text book. As rpm61 says, very often information is broken between pages that I would very much prefer to view as a whole. If I knew there was not smooth scrolling I would not have purchased the text book I have.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 4:37:37 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 5:41:00 PM PST
There is an application (at least, I know this one) called "GoodReader" for all devices. If your book is a PDF, then it arranges it so you can read it scrolling at the speed of your choice. There is a PC application called "Calibre" that lets you convert from format A to format B. However, you can only convert from non-protected e-books. I suppose all kindle e-books are digitally protected (which makes sense).

BTW, you are totally right! To read something that's scrolling automatically is a good experience.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 11:16:33 AM PST
tmcthree says:
I've bought a book on Computer programming which really requires that you can cut and paste listings from the book. This is a proper pain in the back on the kindle (pc) in part because of the fact that the listing often runs into more than one page.

If I'd have known this before, then I wouldn't have bought it, and I certainly won't be buying another kindle book until this is sorted.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 12:41:23 PM PST
I've been experimenting with a few other Android ebook reading apps and one of them, Moon+Reader (I think that's spelled correctly) that I got from the Google Android app store does smooth scrolling very nicely in just about any way you like. It's extremely configurable with far more options than my Palm ereaders ever had for this feature. Most Palm ereaders, which is where ereading really began, did have smooth scrolling.

I'm not particularly fond of this particular app but I may use it for epub books till I find something better just because it does the smooth scrolling so nicely. I have their free version. Their paid version is $5 and I haven't looked into what features it adds.

I'm not really trying to push this app. It's just okay and I'd like something better. But the smooth scrolling really makes a huge difference.

Barry

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 2:23:09 AM PST
NukeAlexS says:
It's pretty crazy your can't smooth scroll on Kindle for PC software right now (The app has been out for a year now?).
Also when you download the software there is no indication of software version (an auto update mechanism would have been nice as well).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 2:28:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 2:30:38 AM PST
NukeAlexS says:
> On my Kindle3 and Kindle Basic I seem to prefer pages. It does make it more book-like.

Really not understanding this comment. It's not a case of either/or, it's a case of having both. And this is about *** Kindle for PC *** NOT your Kindle hardware (I notice somebody else misread this thread earlier as well).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 2:38:40 PM PDT
Bob W says:
I COMPLETLY AGREE!!!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 2:40:34 PM PDT
Bob W says:
I COMPLETLY AGREE!!!

......Smooth scrolling! That's the one thing I want more than anything else. Sometimes it's not an issue, but very often I find myself wishing for smooth page scrolling, instead of only page to page scrolling through books. 2 reasons: it helps to place what I'm reading in the middle of the screen, and 2. very often information is broken between pages that I would very much prefer to view as a whole, sometimes the 2 column view alleviates this, but that makes it smaller as well. Smooth scrolling! Please make smooth scrolling a priority for the next Kindle for PC update.
It's pretty crazy your can't smooth scroll on Kindle for PC software right now.

Also when you download the software there is no indication of software version

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 2:45:41 PM PDT

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 7:38:11 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 10:31:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 10:32:39 PM PDT
dylan hansen says:
ahahh this is pretty funny.
but if you could take the physical paper equivalent of smooth scrolling away from a book, it would be like using a joystick to control your eyes. so every time you turn the page, you gotta pull the thing up and wait for your eyes to get to the top. now, if your paper books do not have smooth scrolling so that you can keep your eyes in one place, you'll want to return them. luckily, with about 2-10 hours of work of just one amazon employee, technology can give hundreds of thousands of people REAL eyes!!! but this guy just happens to be studying abroad this year so sucks for us. i just torrented everything in addition to purchasing on kindle because pdf files are smoothly scrollable in adobe and foxit reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 5:42:41 AM PDT
"torrent" usually means stealing

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 1:42:03 PM PDT
bkelly says:
Another vote for smooth scroll.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 3:49:47 PM PDT
jeremy says:
Amazon... When you wonder why people torrent pdf's instead of paying for kindle books with their hard earned cash; remember the simple, lowest common denominator functionality you epically fail to provide them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 3:51:35 PM PDT
jeremy says:
An electronic book is not a paper book. When people want the features of a paper book, guess what they buy?

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 3:38:57 PM PDT
I also vote for the option of smooth scrolling on PC/Mac Kindle reader.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 10:01:31 PM PDT
T. Goddard says:
Some day, thiiiings are gonna get eeeeasier!!! Some day! Things will get brighter. But today, still no smooth scrolling. Darknesses :(

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 11:48:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 5, 2012 11:49:53 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 11:50:49 AM PDT
Tai says:
What would prevent someone from copying and pasting the whole book and redistributing it?

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 8:17:19 PM PDT
This page flipping has made ereaders in general unusable. Just updated from an old version of Kindle(pc). Problem: I scroll (mouse wheeel). Apparently I scroll through several pages, though sometimes it's just screwed up formatting. Now I spend the next 5 minutes trying to find the page I was on. Never paid for a book and never will till the issue is fixed!

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 3:05:14 PM PDT
Evan Lemke says:
Just bought a book, and absolutely hate the page scrolling. Very disappointed, I wont be buying another kindle book until this gets fixed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions