Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Why don't Author's get it??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 6:45:18 AM PST
Splinker says:
I wanted to download some books today, but I don't want to support spammers or BBAs. I thought I found a few books that looked interesting, but when I looked closer, I kept seeing the same thing: Author's names appearing on their book covers.

As a reader, I buy a book for the story, not so that I can walk around with a little billboard advertising some Indie's name.

While not technically against Amazon's TOS, the constant promoting of a writer's name on their book doesn't exactly make me anxious to read their book. You wrote a book. You want me to read it. I get it.
I don't need to be smacked over the head with your name every time I go to read.

Enough already. Either remove the self-promo from your book or don't whine when your sales go flat. If you absolutely must see your name everywhere, go buy a label maker and wallpaper your bathroom.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:48:10 AM PST
Splinker says:
Here's a perfect example. Another author with an out of control ego:
Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version (Penguin Classics Deluxe)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:49:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 6:53:23 AM PST
RJ says:
I agree with this. Each author could be assigned a number. To hell with names. I don't care who wrote the book, I just wanna read it.

From now on you'll be known as Author #666.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:55:12 AM PST
Irish reader says:
Great point. My experience is that an interesting title catches my eye and I'm filled with a pleasurable sense of anticipation. Then I see 'Seamus the Snowflake' underneath it and I just want to scoop out both my eyeballs and fling them as far and as hard as I can.

If your story/book sounds interesting, I might just buy it. But why include your name? What are you? Eight years of age? It's soo unprofessional.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:58:08 AM PST
Splinker says:
It's not even special snowflakes anymore. It's a friggin' blizzard. I picked ten books at random and every one had the writer's name on the cover. Plus, two of them were names I couldn't even pronounce. Unbelievable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:59:51 AM PST
"...Then I see 'Seamus the Snowflake' underneath it and I just want to scoop out both my eyeballs and fling them as far and as hard as I can..."

ROFL.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:00:49 AM PST
Irish reader says:
And who wants to read stories by two brothers calling themselves Grimm? That just sounds creepy.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:20:00 AM PST
Splinker says:
Please, feel free to post links to these ego maniacs. I bet we can even find a few books from writers who post right here on the forums. Stealthy little bass hooks.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:29:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:37:46 AM PST
RJ says:
Just look at the nerve of this guy.... Mark Twain.
Not only do we have his name shoved down our throat BUT we have to look at his scary picture as well.
Do egos get any bigger then this? I don't think so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:33:25 AM PST
I agree. This needs to quit. The nerve of some people.

It

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)

A Christmas Carol (Illustrated)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:38:19 AM PST
Psylocide says:
Take a look at this display of blatant arrogance, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

Not only is the author plastering his name all over the damn thing, but he's also trying to tell us how to write... like we're some morons or something.

Gawl!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:03:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:10:37 AM PST
Splinker says:
I left a review of that Potter book and will let you know when it is approved.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R170P945K2W97Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00728DYRO&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:12:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:15:24 AM PST
Thanks so much for your efforts to keep things honest.

Consider this - Bookcovers can be totally "in your face". The beautiful covers or the horrible covers can make or break a book.

Bookcovers can sway readers into buying or not buying a book. Perhaps there should be no cover art, just plain covers with colour codes for genres. That way, there would be no book covers or authors names to pressure anyone during the purchasing process.

Edit for clarity

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:16:14 AM PST
Irish reader says:
What's particularly obvious - just glancing at a photo of Twain or Dickens - is how important profuse facial hair was as a publicity tool back in the day. Even then it was all about brand recognition. 'Twain?' you can almost hear somebody say. 'That guy with the hair? And the moustache?'

Now? Not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:16:28 AM PST
Splinker says:
That's a great idea. Then we can address the issue of stealth promoting. Like that J.K. Rowling person. He/She apparently wrote a series of books and uses the same characters as in the first book. I guess her reasoning is that us dumb readers will read her book and say 'Gee. I wonder what the characters will do in her next book.'

Yeah, no self promotion going on there at all. Rolls eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:23:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:23:59 AM PST
He/She did it more than once? Using characters more than once shows a huge lack of imagination IMO. Were she truly talented, he/she would have written new characters for each book.

Nobody wants to work anymore. They just want to glide along on previous accomplishments. Sheesh.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:28:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:32:04 AM PST
RJ says:
The Darkest Passion (Hqn)

And what's my point of linking this book you ask? None really.
Just a little eye candy for the ladies. Call it an intermission. The guys can step out & have a smoke while us ladies drool.

Ok, intermission over, back to the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:35:10 AM PST
Irish reader says:
Two packs of cigarettes a day, Listerine(!), NyQuil, and cocaine - and people still wonder where he got his ideas from.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:36:41 AM PST
Splinker says:
Now the author is playing games by refusing to acknowledge my comment. Real mature.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:47:35 PM PST
Matthew Fish says:
I competely agree. Also, I think we should just take it one step, one litlte step, further and remove titles as well. I mean, all titles are just another way for spammers and BBA's to go around and plug their book anywhere they can. I think all books should just have the title "BOOK" splayed across the front page. Of course they could use different font to make their book stand out. Then if people really wanted to talk about a book, they could say, "Hey, have you read Calibri PT 18? It was a real page turner."

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:12:37 PM PST
H. Craig says:
To heck with titles... just list them by the ISBN number and let the rest sort itself out (rolls eyes).

I am not a fan of obnoxious placement of an author's name, but I see no problem with a small, esthetically placed name in a relatively inconspicuous font. It should never be front and center, nor the first thing a reader sees. It should be like the nutrition information on a can of soup: let me see what flavor is in the can, then you can share the other information if I want to look for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:56:24 PM PST
Matthew Fish says:
So you'd like something nice and understated like this?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/MatthewFish/Book%20Covers/soup.jpg

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:27:08 PM PST
Splinker says:
As an author, I have decided to simply have my name embedded in the book's bar code.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:01:21 PM PST
Tee~Hee~Hee!!! :)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:44:54 AM PST
Splinker says:
Going off topic for a bit. I went to B&N to pick up a book for my nephew today. He's two. I thought I might pick up something called "Goodnight Moon." So, of course, first thing I notice is the author's name right on the cover. Big surprise. But I'm in a rush and I hear kids like the book, so I figure I'll get it anyway. I go up to the counter and leave a buck, figuring they can keep the extra penny. I'm halfway to the door when security calls me back.

They wanted $10.00 for the book. TEN DOLLARS! I told them I can download twenty books a day for $1.00 or less, but they didn't care. "The whole book's only twelve pages! And they wanted $10.00!"

Guess it's no surprise to anyone that I didn't buy it. In fact, I wrote a review on a sticky note and left it on the inside cover: ".85 cents a page??? For that kind of money I expect to walk on the moon, not wave goodbye to it!!"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions