Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Confessions of a Switch Hitter -- I buy books at the cheapest price

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 7:14:34 PM PST
Marion Stein says:
A while ago I downloaded a sample of The Talented Miss Highsmith: The Secret Life and Serious Art of Patricia Highsmith. It was a great read and I wanted to buy it. I couldn't one-click on my Kindle because I needed to change my credit card, so I went online on my Mac. Then I noticed that the Kindle price was $10.99 but the book is offered used in new condition for $1.45 with 2-day free shipping. I decided I could wait the 2 days and ordered the dead tree version.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Kindle, but I can't afford to spend $10.99 for a book I can get for $1.45 (ok, $1.56 with tax). Plus I get to share it with my better half and/or exchange it in the laundry room.

Instead of complaining about Kindle prices, just get it in another format. Simples.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 8:18:08 PM PST
I buy books at the UBS all the time. And I get books from the library. And I use my Kindle. No reason you have to stick to only one. :)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:31:43 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Heretics!

;)

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:10:40 AM PST
Marion Stein says:
Let's hear more stories about people's strategies to read cheap books, and less complaining about high e-book prices!

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:26:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 5:26:54 AM PST
Hi Marion! I don't have much interest in reading DTBs any more. I have arthritis in my hands and find it difficult to read paperbacks. : (

I have been using my public library though and they have been adding e-books and audio books at a fast pace. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a waiting list for new releases, but that's ok. I have plenty of things to read in the meantime.

I also use ereaderiq.com. In addition to free book emails every day (in the genres you prefer), they also have a price tracking feature. I uploaded my wish list and they notify me when something on it drops in price.

Lastly, I have a loanable shelf on Goodreads and I follow a few loanable threads. If someone is looking for something, I have no problem sharing and vice versa. It works out pretty well for us voracious readers. : )

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:45:21 AM PST
There's only one item that I purchase where price never factors into my decision to buy. If I want it, I buy it. Books, books, books.
Whatever I may pay for a book is always cheaper then going out for a night's entertainment. And I rarely get as much joy from a night out as I do from reading a good book. There are so many deals to be found for kindle books, freebies, .99, even $2.99, etc. These, in my mind, balance out the occasional $12.99 book.
I love my kindle and haven't read a paper book since the day I first held it in my happy little hands.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:59:36 AM PST
I religiously follow the Discounted/Price drop thread on the kindle forum (thanks Cphe):
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx21IOMDHFFQ32I

I want to say I have saved a lot of money by following this thread (2.99 vs the 9.99 I would normally spend), but I may actually be buying more then I normally would because they are on "sale". Who knows, but I really enjoy that thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:11:08 AM PST
Yep, that's a great thread too!

Hi G! *waving*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:19:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:20:40 AM PST
Hi Charlene!
I also signed up with ereader, and it seems like very few of the books on my wishlist ever go down in price ;(. I still think it is a wonderful service though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:42:45 AM PST
Same here, G. But every once in a while I get an email notice about a price drop and I do a happy dance!
It wouldn't be as exciting if it happened every day. : )

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:44:40 AM PST
The animal shelter in my county has a huge used book sale twice a year. I can get a couple bags of books and support the shelter for about $20. I read them then donate them back to be sold again at the next sale. Works well for everyone.

I use the library alot both for books on CD which I listen to on my commute, and for DTB's.

And of course I still buy tons of ebooks. About the only place I don't get books is from any big box retailer. If I happen upon the endangered independent bookstore I always buy somerhing.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:55:36 AM PST
Marion Stein says:
I think the problem for me is that Kindle has spoiled me. I can't always wait. Even in the example in my OP I almost clicked the $10.99 because I wanted it immediately. Two days isn't a big deal and I have plenty else to read, but what Kindle allows is instant gratification -- the one book you want to read at the moment you want to read it -- but not always at the best price.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:06:31 AM PST
I agree Marion. I also take it one step further and pre-order a lot of books for my kindle? Why? It's not like it won't be available later on when I am ready to read it. I guess I am basically an e-book chump. Darn the kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 8:10:49 AM PST
Marion Stein says:
I tend to think the independent stores are mostly doomed. Ones like Kramer Books in DC that become "destinations" -- really great places to hang out and meet people, will hold on longest. I also think used book stores will be around (though not very profitable) for a while, but I think print is on its way out and we already see what's happening/happened with the chains.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:33:51 AM PST
Since the big publishers want to stifle eBooks you just played right into their hands. They don't want you to purchase eBooks.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:18:04 PM PST
Marion Stein says:
I doubt that. I bought a USED paperback instead of an e-book. The publishing companies get nothing from used books. Besides, do you really believe they are trying to stifle all e-books -- even the ones they publish? That sounds so 2008.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 3:31:52 PM PST
Yes, I believe they would be very happy to not have to deal with eBooks. eBooks represent Amazon and Amazon is the Big Bad who is systematically destroying books and book stores as we've know them for hundreds of years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 3:32:42 PM PST
I am afraid you're right about the demise of independent book stores. I do love to browse, have a coffee, read a paper etc in one of those "destination" bookstores but I am also addicted to the instant gratification that my Kindle offers. I almost need a 12 step program to help me stop buying so many e-books. There are already more in my TBR pile than I could read in a year!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 3:39:22 PM PST
Marion Stein says:
Hi Charlene,
In my case the hands still work, but my eyes are the problem. I like having the Kindle DX so I can go with big text on a big screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:33:37 PM PST
I imagine that would make it much easier on the eyes, Marion.
Getting older sucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:49:31 PM PST
Marion Stein says:
Beats the alternative.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:41:47 AM PST
Matthew Fish says:
I have about equally the number of hard copy books as I do on my Kindle. I worked my way through college at a local library and when they upgraded to a new location I inherited a few of the library shelves. It's nice to have a room full of books that you can actually pick up-also one of my favorite authors, Mark Z. Danielewski (House of Leaves, Only Revolutions, The Fifty Year Sword) writes novels that would be impossible to translate onto a kindle. Also, another favorite of mine, Into the Wild, I noticed was like 11.99 for the kindle version, but at target I got a copy for about 4 bucks. So, nothing wrong with both, in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:02:42 PM PST
Frank Mundo says:
Absolutely. I'd have done the same thing. Especially for Patricia Highsmith. She's awesome.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 11:12:30 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 20, 2012 12:09:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:19:46 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 20, 2012 12:16:37 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions