Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Can Obama Save Publishing?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 5:13:38 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:34:53 PM PST
Splinker says:
Who let you out?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:37:00 PM PST
Whatshername says:
I'm glad I'm not the one who left the cage door open.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:36:54 AM PST
Pete Morin says:
This man requires Absolution

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 8:51:04 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:55:14 AM PST
Pete Morin says:
Sick, innit?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 9:17:25 AM PST
Not really. Man cannot live by gold star alone. Sometimes he needs .. . Chicken,

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:19:21 AM PST
Irish reader says:
Given how a lot of my self-pubbing friends prefer to be called 'libertarian authors' as opposed to 'indie authors', I'd have to say no.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 9:32:46 AM PST

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:58:53 AM PST
Irish reader says:
OK, now I'm confused...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 2:03:03 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:31:53 PM PST
Marion Stein says:
I believe it's a different Lil Devil.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:51:35 PM PST

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:31:38 PM PST
Michael Scott is under the mistaken impression this is a political site for the glorification of the Annointed One.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 4:43:33 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:11:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 5:12:09 PM PST
Miss M says:
One thing I *know* about Patrick T. Kelly is he knows that this is a Customer Discussion Forum - yeah, there are a few writers that hang out, but this is a place for customers to discuss books, etc. We don't have opening chapters. You'll find that many of us here could NOT care less about 'writers drawing readers' into your stories. If you want to discuss this with your homies, feel free to head over the Meet Our Authors Forum and chat away.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

ETA: getting the hell out of dodge would probably work too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:18:58 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:25:13 PM PST
Miss M says:
I didn't say anything about promoting books - let me be more clear: I solely meant to point out what an azzhat you are in your posts here and you might feel more comfortable in the MOA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:34:45 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:54:46 AM PST
Scamp says:
>>Michael Scott bets his bottom dollar that Patrick T Kelly is an old white man. (Of limited intelligence).<<

Wow. Insulting customers in a customer forum? Yeah, that'll help your uploading career. (Not really.)

>>It is strange that nobody has addressed the issues raised in the opening post.<<

Not strange at all. See the post by the "old white man" - you know, the one "of limited intelligence"? He has it nailed. Politics belongs in the political forum, not here.

>>If I walk into a bar and I don't see anybody that I relate to. I ain't staying for the duration. I'm having my one drink and I'm getting the hell out of dodge!<<

Right. Think of forums that way also. If you post something that is of no interest to other posters, they will either ignore your post or talk about something else.

>>What's in your opening chapter that'll make me feel comfortable? <<

Ask in the writer's forum, as helpfully linked by Miss Mitford. This is a customer forum.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:58:30 AM PST
Psylocide says:
Is this real life?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:01:31 AM PST
Splinker says:
Its not politics. The op is asking if any writers here have opening chapters that will appeal to minorities. I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:02:45 AM PST
Psylocide says:
On Earth, people are the minority.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 11:11:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 11:14:18 AM PST
Marion Stein says:
For those who don't know: Michael, had a reputation for starting provocative forums on another site that some of us used to (or maybe still do) frequent. He may be making an assumption here that most people on this forum are writers or care what writers think.

Taking the topic on its own terms, I disagree with a lot of what he's saying here. Obama's job is not to "save" publishing. Obama as President has shied away from trumpeting ethnic divisions, and is from a very eclectic background that has little to do with the experience of most African Americans in this country. His own books, especially his first, are read by and have inspired people of many different ethnicities.

Publishing especially with smaller "boutique" presses and self-publishing has evolved so a lot of special interests can be met. Hence, the popularity of writers like Zane who speaks to a specific African American audience.

I disagree with the premise that writers have to stick to "what they know" as this would make for boring literature, but when writers attempt to speak in voices they don't know, they come off as tone deaf and the results can be awkward. I'd hate to see tokenism where white writers create African American or Latino characters just to make larger segments feel "comfortable." As we move as a society to a place where our friends and families are more likely to comprise more people from different cultures, more writers will go multi-ethnic and do it with more ease.

This is beginning to happen more with movies and literature. Jenny Lumet, the screenwriter who is the grand-daughter of Lena Horne and the daughter of Jewish American, director Sidney Lumet recently wrote an award winning screenplay for a hit movie in which a multi-racial family was simply a given and not a big part of the story. We will see this more and more in literature, but I don't think it's a good idea for white writers who have never met a Latino to suddenly start writing in Latino best friends based on something they saw on television.

There are also plenty of readers who are perfectly comfortable reading about people who are ethnically and or culturally different than they are. Back when I was teaching high school I noticed that one book that the young "minority" males I taught liked to discuss was The Great Gatsby. They identified with the gangster who did it all to win back the woman he loved.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:14:56 PM PST
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions