Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Alice in Deadland and fake reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 850 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 15, 2012 7:53:28 PM PST
Lexi Lou says:
This sucks. I just purchased that book last night based on the reviews. I could not get past the first chapter. I want my 15 minutes and 99 cents back

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 7:55:52 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
I say you should return it, Lexi. You have a valid reason to do it, and you can even tell them why you returned it. Don't leave any money in that scammer's dirty hands.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:02:53 PM PST
Lexi Lou says:
How do I return it? Call customer service?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 8:03:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 8:04:09 PM PST
Go to your MYK page. You should be able to do it from there. You can return a book w/in 7 days, no questions asked.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:05:24 PM PST
Although I have not read Alice in Deadland and have no plans to do so, I believe that you will find that the reason the book is doing so well, is in the masses of teens who have latched on to it. They can be a major driving force whether we think the writing is substandard or not. The teen/tween market tends to be more forgiving and hence;increased sales by word of mouth alone. I can't believe that 200+ reviews, whether faked or not would increase his sales by that much. I mean yeah he would have some sales, but not the increases that his book has seen and definitely not for extended periods. Remember, word of mouth can be quite powerful. Just my thoughts but of course I did come prepared, I spoke to a couple of my friend's teens on facebook and the book seems to be all the rage...Go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 8:06:15 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
@Lexi Lou: exactly what Queen of CI says. There's an "actions" button on the line with the book. If you've bought it in the last 7 days, one of the actions you can select is to return it for a refund.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:16:34 PM PST
Brian, you asked about why Amazon isn't more proactive on these kinds of things and instead leaves it to customers to spot and report. I think it's a legit question. The answer probably has to do with practicality.

Think about how much time you spent on this one book. Then multiply that by the millions and millions of items for sale on Amazon. The company simply doesn't have the staff to continually investigate reviews on all the products they sell. There are over a million books in the Kindle store alone.

Yes, it's very frustrating. But at least there are customers like you (and others here) who help to try and keep sellers honest in order to provide a better shopping experience for everyone.

One thing I've read about is attempts by various people in coming up with software programs that are designed to detect shill reviews. I don't have a link, but I recall one article about a university that is making headway in such a thing and it was stated that one of the companies most interested in their progress is Amazon.

To me this indicates that not only is Amazon aware of the problem and how it reflects on their business, but they want to do something about it. It's just not an easy task. It's not even easy to design a reliable program that will do the first step, which is looking for suspicious activity that a human then needs to investigate.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:19:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 8:21:04 PM PST
Brian W. says:
Here's the problem, a lot of people unfortunately are more apt to take a chance on books with hundreds of reviews which is specifically why the author was faking them in the first place. And just in case anyone missed it, Michael Seravante above is the author Mainak Dhar. I've got a sixth sense now for spotting his sock puppets. "All the rage". That's funny. Oh boy, Mainak, just sit back and stop trying some desperate ploy to interfere. Posting hundreds of fake reviews is called scamming people, so stop trying to pretend your books are so awesome people just can't help themselves. If you want more proof that the majority hate the book, go to the reviews for Alice in Deadland and sort them by 'most helpful' then run down the list. You'll see a couple of sock puppet reviews and then a stream, no a flood of 1 and 2 stars. That's how people really feel and their voice is being drown out by the scam you're perpetrating. Until now.

Note: Btw my response here is not to Robin's comment, I only noticed it after I posted.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 8:23:10 PM PST
Brian, I think you really need to step back on your assault and accusation! I did not assault you in any way shape or form, I merely pointed out my observation. I am not Dhar, go to my page and you will see that....Wow, see this is why people do not wish to post in these threads.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 8:34:26 PM PST
LH Thomson says:
Ok, contacted them and stated my concern, along with my confidence they'll address it.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:45:48 PM PST
Brian W. says:
Expect Mainak Dhar to continue sending in his sock puppets as he's been doing so that when we call them out they can pretend to be offended by the very accusation. I've been arguing with Dhar all day long via various fake accounts of his and can spot him a mile away. Just keep sending in those reports to CS and have Amazon sort this mess out.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 8:54:41 PM PST
"I am not Dhar, go to my page and you will see that...."

???

I went to your page. I see nothing. There is nothing to see.

I have no idea if you're in truth Michael Seravante, if you're Mainak Dhar, if Michael is a real name and Dhar is a pen name, or vice versa, or if you are simply an anonymous Amazon shopper unwittingly caught up in this and being wrongfully accused of nefarious things. Going to your page does nothing to clear that up.

-----

I was reading the comments on the TERRIBLE review, which I'll agree is a terrible review. In the sense that it provides no useful info to people thinking about getting the book.

Brian made this statement:

"If it was a fantastic book with a truck load of fake reviews, probably no one would notice,"

I'd never actually thought about that part of things before, but you're right. People who haven't read the book yet might be suspicious, but if they read the book and find out it is indeed a fantastic book, they'd probably never give it another thought. And might add their own glowing review to the pile.

That doesn't make placing those fake reviews any more right or less fraudulent, but it does significantly limit the damage done. The problem is, of course, most authors who go to the trouble of planting all those fake reviews have not written fantastic books.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 8:57:32 PM PST
For once and all I am offended, why shouldn't I be. I mean come on, I post a legitimate observation and I am completely slammed for it. Its one thing to disagree, that is fine. Actually that's what we call a debate, but what you are doing is called an attack and for what? Because I have a differing idea? Seriously, is it really important for you to slam another person because he put his two cents in? I do not know the author, I don't wish to know the author but the one thing that is quite clear, I find the readers forums to be nothing but hostile towards anyone that differs in opinion, especially towards another author. Which by the way is a customer as well, giving me the right to participate in these threads as much as anyone else. So if you really think that I am Dhar, I suggest you please contact Amazon...My account is not fake, made up in any way shape or form. Also if you look closely at my book listed, you will find I do not resort to "FAKE REVIEWS", If I was Dhar, my sales would be sky high based on your observation. Sir, you have made an error and I am sure you are the type that can't apologize..its just not in you!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 9:00:50 PM PST
Robin, I cannot name my book as that would be spamming, and I will not resort to that tactic. All you have to do is go to my authors page to see that I am not him. Aside from that, I am certain my writing is in no way close to his. But let me ask you, would you not be offended if you were being attacked for only giving an observation?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 9:04:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 9:35:09 PM PST
My page has a picture, full bio and some personal aspects as well, so you couldn't have been to my authors page. All you need to do is type it in the amazon search bar and my book will come up so you can get to my authors page, actually here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Seravante/e/B0078G3XN0/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

What I really want is no connection to this Dhar guy, because if what you are saying is true about him spamming, then you all are dooming my book by association, by saying that I am him and that is just wrong in every sense!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 10:12:20 PM PST
"All you have to do is go to my authors page to see that I am not him."

I didn't know you were an author so when you said "go to my page" I assumed you meant your Amazon profile page, which I got to by clicking on your name in your post.

I'd strongly recommend since you are an author that you fill out your Amazon profile. Right now the only info it contains is that you are located in the USA. There's no "real name" tag, no city, no "about you" info, nothing to indicate that you are an author, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 10:13:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 10:15:55 PM PST
Bleh, sneaky Amazon double post.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 10:15:38 PM PST
M.C. O'Neill says:
Who's the real Dhar and who's the replicant? Do Androids Dream of Electric Authors? HAHAHA! Now the conspiracy theorist in me wants to grab the popcorn.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 10:21:14 PM PST
Robin, Thank you for informing me, I saw that when I went there. I always assumed my personal page was connected with my authors page, but I guess not. Although it should be. Amazon should link the two once an authors page is created.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 11:13:26 PM PST
"Amazon should link the two once an authors page is created."

Agreed. It's pretty silly that they aren't.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 11:20:32 PM PST
Well there seems to be several issues that Amazon needs to address, that being said we all know the truth of reality...sometimes it just plain bites. Well I am going to take the moment and say that no matter what anyone on this thread thinks, at least I know who I am. But I must say, that I am quite disappointed in the way I was treated with one of my first posts here, however, there is no need to whine...Time to move on and stay over at the authors forums. Thank you Robin and have a great night.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 5:28:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 7:20:45 AM PST
Brian W. says:
For anyone who still isn't convinced Mainak Dhar is a scammer who's gaming the review system, I want to show you something that will end those doubts and shed some light on the scale of what he's doing. Of course, he's going to run off and change it all as soon as he can, but hopefully at least some of you will see it before he pulls another weaselly move.

I'm going to include a number of links to Goodreads accounts that have all given Alice in Deadland five stars with glowing reviews. It's best to open as many as you can in different tabs so you can jump between them. Now look at how many of them have reviewed the exact same handful of books. Confessions of a teenage body snatcher, Kiss me I'm dead, A Very public Scandal, Dancing with Duality, The Wave. All relative no namers. And here's the scary part. That's only from the first page of his Goodreads reviews. I can't imagine how many of these fake ones he's made and how many of those have ended up on Amazon too. The creepiest part is he actually took people's pictures off the internet (Rob Fereri for example). If that's not the work of a criminal mind, I don't know what is. Okay, here are the links, hopefully most of you get a chance to see this before Mainak scurries off to cover his tracks again.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6335085-daniel

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6731122-bernie-joseph

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6208441-max-g-bernard

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7606781-khadija

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6971714-mzchary

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3521651-rob-ferreri

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6263387-adrienne

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7036243-cpogue

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2761595-shakeera-frazer

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6651497-elizabeth

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6184348-jeff

Again this is only from Alice in Deadland on Goodreads, all of his other books are the same. Plus he's got at least one Pen Name I'm aware of. I encourage anyone here reading this to report this guy to Amazon right away.

Edit: separated the links to try and make them clickable. Hmm, still not working. Well, you can highlight the link, right click it and select go to and it will open in a new tab for you. At least on Chrome it does. Either way, it's worth seeing!
Update: Got an email from Amazon this morning saying that they're looking into the fake reviews. It'd be nice to keep up the pressure on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 7:48:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 7:54:27 AM PST
Zen Druid says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 7:49:30 AM PST
Zen Druid says:
>Then you trash Santorum and I get a warm fuzzy.

Glad I could oblige. I may be cranky and/or obnoxious but I'm not crazy!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 7:51:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 7:55:26 AM PST
Zen Druid says:
>I am not Dhar,

If course not Michael, Brian says I'M Dhar. Maybe we're ALL Dhar!! Lets crank up the sock monkeys!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  850
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions