Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Let's have a little drama...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2012 10:40:31 AM PDT
A. Customer says:
What is the most dramatic and moving scene you've read in a book ?

Is there a particular writer that can create a dramatic scene like no other?

Has there been an incidence where a dramatic scene played no part in the story, and appeared to exist purely because the writer liked it and couldn't bear to edit it out?

As usual, no self promo please.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:54:42 PM PDT
I won't tell the name of the book, because this would be a spoiler. But at the end the heroine was left in a chicken coop, deathly ill. She had no money to pay for the couple that were taking care of her, such as it was.

She had been a beauty, but now her beauty was gone. The hero finds her. It's a romance, so I knew it was going to happen. Despite knowing, I was crying. Now I am not a person who is brought to tears often when I read. But this scene was the most dramatic, romantic and wonderful scene, as the heroine realized that the hero loved her for her, not for her beauty.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 1:58:31 PM PDT
I don't think there are any specific scenes that come to mind, but I was particularly moved by pretty much the whole of The Return of the Native, more so than any other Hardy novel.

I also found The Heaven Tree Trilogy very moving, as well as The Marriage of Meggotta, both by Edith Pargeter. Almost (*almost*) moved me to tears.

If I can recall any particular scenes from books I'll come back on this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 2:06:09 PM PDT
It's a children's book:
The Giving Tree 40th Anniversary Edition Book with CD

It made me cry as a child, and it makes me sad to read it as a grown-up (to my children). The sacrifice, and the gut wrenching ending are just too sad. I know this probably shouldn't be posted here but on the children's books forum, but to this day, the ending of this book really depresses me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 2:12:48 PM PDT
I've never read those. One more for the TBR pile!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 2:15:01 PM PDT
You reminded me of the most dramatic scene that always makes me cry. It's in Little Women. I can ever read that (and I've read book many times) without tearing up.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 2:51:19 PM PDT
"Beth"? OMG that book was heart-rending (Little Women). I have only read it twice because I hate feeling so sad after reading a great book :(.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 2:52:48 PM PDT
The Hardy novel tore me up - much more so than "Far from the Madding Crowd" or "Jude the Obscure".

The Edith Pargeter novels are set in the 12th/13th centuries, but that's not really important. The quality of the writing is just stunning, and I was totally enraptured. Which reminds me that I must re-read them ... LOL!

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 7:45:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 8, 2012 7:48:23 PM PDT
Arual says:
Edward, Edward: A Part of His Story And Of History 1795-1816 Set Out In Three Parts In This Form Of A New-Old Picaresque Romance That Is Also A Stud by Lolah Burford. (The title ends abruptly - it should be "...That Is Also A STUDY IN GRACE."

The whole book is wrenching, but one scene that sticks with me is a confrontation between a guardian and Edward, his ward (the book takes place in the years 1795-1816). The man has been stunningly cruel all along, but they have a terrific fight when Edward is 17. The man beats him to unconsciousness, then carries him to a windowless cell-like room and locks him in. The man sends all the house servants away for an unexpected three-day vacation, and then leaves himself to visit friends.

The thought of Edward waking up in complete darkness, injured and frightened, not knowing where he is, not knowing when or if anyone will come for him, chills me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 5:13:05 AM PDT
The whole thing sounds interesting, Arual, and not just the particular passage you highlighted.

I had to laugh over the truncated title. I think it initially gave me a false impression of what sort of book it was ... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 8:51:10 AM PDT
Is this Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 12:21:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 10:54:26 PM PST
Arual says:
"Edward, Edward" is one of my very favorite books, but for terrible reasons. There is no joy in this book. It is relentlessly dark. The guardian abuses Edward emotionally and sexually - a horrible thing. But what I "like" about the story is how the author developes the complex relationship between the two characters. Psychological drama at it's finest, which is the type of story I favor anyway.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 2:57:44 PM PDT
Brent Butler says:
OK, I'll go out on a limb here and sound geeky. The most impressed I ever was by a dramatic scene in a book was Asimov's "Robots of Dawn".

***SPOILER***
Asimov had been writing for a very long time and in incredible volume by the time he wrote "Robots of Dawn", it was among his last works of fiction. I'd been following his robot stories and novels for decades at the time I read it, so his Three Laws of Robotics was well entrenched in my mind, as well as many stories and books which revolved in intricate ways around their application. Therefore when R. Giskard was able to transcend the 1st Law by postulating the Zeroeth Law (and taking into account the circumstances in the story under which this occurred), I was mightily impressed, to the point that anytime I am asked to pick a favorite point in fiction, that one always comes readily to mind. I can well remember closing that book at its finish and telling my wife, "That's the best book I've ever read". It probably wasn't true, but that's how impressed I was in its immediate aftermath.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 3:08:39 PM PDT
No.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 3:02:22 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
Alright, this might be a little teenager-ish, but when Fang left Max in Fang: A Maximum Ride Novel. That made me cry, I'll admit. It was just so sad and I wanted to strangle him because he's an idiot.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:51:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:32:15 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 8:53:44 PM PDT
Scamp says:
Could we ask that participants have some reading comprehension, please?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 9:47:04 PM PDT
Iola says:
Ask away. Just don't expect a positive response.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 4:56:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2012 7:32:16 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 5:56:59 AM PDT
Ah, Thomas Hardy. My favourite author. For me, the most moving scene in his books is in The Mayor of Casterbridge. I am reduced to tears every time I read of Elizabeth Jane finding the birdcage and then reading Henchard's final note.

I will also cry buckets while reading Anne of Green Gables (I always loved Matthew).

The final scenes of the Railway Children, and Watership Down have me reaching for the tissues, and my lower lip to wobble somewhat.

And by the way Jennifer Hailey; these are all BOOKS on my KINDLE, so if you could explain how the hell it's off topic, I'd be grateful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 6:03:24 AM PDT
JH is a name-changing troll, spamming almost every thread on this forum. Don't expect an actual answer.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 6:05:57 AM PDT
Yeah, I've just noticed s/he's reviving a load of ancient threads and also having a dig at Anna. Not someone previously on my ignore list, but will be going on it now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 8:38:27 AM PDT
Kate Barley says:
This lovely troll is also hitting the romance forum.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 9:27:38 AM PDT
And the fantasy forum! :-P

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 9:39:09 AM PDT
Anybody not figured out who it is by now?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Apr 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions