Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Historical Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2012 7:50:10 AM PST
mnkindle says:
I really enjoy reading historical fiction and haven't seen a discussion about it. I am interested in buying some new books for my kindle and am looking for some suggestions. Two of my favorite authors are Diana Gabaldon and Philippa Gregory. Any suggestions? I have not tried any of the self published (or whateverit is called) books. Thank you

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 8:11:28 AM PST
el says:
Have you read "Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" by Ken Follett? Excellent!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 8:30:10 AM PST
mnkindle says:
Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 8:52:38 AM PST
Kcorn says:
Author of this book ( just started reading it again) The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet: A Novel comes in Kindle version has interesting essay on the novel and role of historical fiction at end of the book.

The book itsel is (quote): "a historical novel set in Japan at the turn into the 19th century, when the island nation was almost entirely cut off from the West except for a tiny, quarantined Dutch outpost"

I am finding it informative , well-researched, fun to read...but different from much historical fiction. The author lists many other historical novels..not just his..at back of book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 12:09:00 PM PST
gary says:
Hi mnkindle as your looking for kindle versions of historical fiction don't miss `Viking Sword Saxon Shield' and `Vikings Saxon Holocaust.' These are novels based on true historical figures and battles around the east coast of England at the end of the 10th century. This was during the reign of King Aethelred. The main story line is about a young warrior who arrives in England as a Vikings rowing slave. He escapes and when King Aethelred's youngest daughter is kidnaped by the Vikings he saves her and is rewarded by being made the Princesses bodyguard... Most battles are the historic ones between Vikings and Saxons in the second Viking Age. The first Viking age were a few Longships full of Vikings making small raids on farms and Churches. In the second Viking Age vast fleets of Longships carrying thousands of Vikings and invading whole towns and eventually most of England! These novels stories also cover inter Vikings battles between the Danes and the Norwegian's. Viking Sword Saxon ShieldViking! Saxon Holocaust

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 6:56:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 6:56:32 PM PST
Have you tried Sharon Kay Penman? Her Welsh trilogy is incredibly good -- starts with Here Be Dragons. I am continually recommending her. Elizabeth Chadwick is also excellent, particularly her books on Will Marshal, starting with Greatest Knight (William Marshal). I also like Kingmaking (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy), which is the first of Helen Hollick's Arthurian trilogy. This is a historical fiction treatment of the Arthurian legend, set in 5th century Britain and entirely without magic. It is very good -- I've read the first two, with the third in my to read pile.

I second the Pillars of the Earth recommendation.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Winter Sea which is on supersale in the kindle store for 1.99. It has been up and down in price all year. Buy it now. You will love it.

Finally, I have read one historical fiction by a self-published author that I thought was quite good: Freedom's Sword, a Historical Novel of Scotland by JR Tomlin. It's set in Scotland, post-Braveheart.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 7:16:11 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
I recommend Winter Sea
If you like Gabaldon, I think you will like Winter Sea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 8:01:26 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 8:28:15 AM PST
I totally agree with TQOCI, as I about to recommend Elizabeth Chadwick as well.

I also second her recommendation of Sharon Penman. As well as her Welsh Trilogy (Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, and The Reckoning), she has written an excellent trilogy about the earlier Angevins - "When Christ and his Saints Slept", "Time and Chance", and "The Devil's Brood". Her latest, "Lionheart" (about Richard the Lionheart) has recently come out, and I can't wait to read it. Penman has also written a few Medieval murder mysteries, set in the 1190s - excellent!

I hesitate to echo the recommendation of "Pillars of the Earth". While the story was excellent, I have to say that I had a real problem with Ken Follett's writing - left me cold, and I didn't feel he managed to give a very "historical feel" to it (as in, it might as well have been set in the 20th century). But the story is good, so if you aren't quite as pedantic as I, it is worth giving it a shot.

For quick and easy reads, which are historically very accurate and superbly written, you could always dip into the Brother Cadfael novels of Ellis Peters. Although I haven't read them all, my favourite out of those I have read is Brother Cadfael omnibus: The rose rent; The hermit of Eyton Forest; The raven in the foregate (this is a compilation, because I couldn't find the stand-alone paperback).

Happy reading!

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 8:53:00 AM PST
I would humbly suggest: Bone Rattler: A Mystery of Colonial America. The only caveat I have is that if you've read The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, it is a little hard to seperate the names out. In the Bone Rattler, there are Jamies, Frazers, etc... . After I got over that though, I enjoyed this book very much and am planning to read the second one, eventually!

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 6:47:08 PM PST
mnkindle says:
Thank you so much for the ideas, there are so many books out there it is nice to have a few places to start looking.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 7:47:53 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
James Michener's books have a lot of fans. I think that his earlier books are better than his later ones, but that's hearsay, as I don't think I've read one since Chesapeake.

I second the Ellis Peters recommendation. Her Cadfael mysteries are really good, both as medieval historical fiction & as mysteries.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 8:16:01 PM PST
Debra Brown says:
You can find numerous English historical fiction books from all eras with brief blurbs here: http://englishhistoryauthors.blogspot.com/p/books.html

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 11:01:04 AM PST
Bkworm Bren says:
Slammerkin is my favorite.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 11:04:18 AM PST
Steven Henry says:
Bernard Cornwell can be pretty formulaic, but also a good read.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 11:11:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2012 11:12:15 AM PST
K. Maurer says:
Jeff Shaara historical war novels from the revolutionary through WWII are some of the best I've ever read.
The Final Storm: A Novel of the War in the Pacific

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 4:32:07 PM PST
Cphe says:
I recommend "Through A Glass Darkly" Karleen Koen.
Rich and detailed story, evocative writing

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 7:16:04 AM PST
Steven Henry says:
A couple of others:

"The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" by Herman Wouk (WWII epic romance in the style of "War and Peace").

Come to think of it, "War and Peace" itself, though it's a bit of heavy lifting to get through.

"Fields for Fire" by James Webb (Vietnam).

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 10:07:38 AM PST
Thought of another one, this one explores the history of police detection, profiling, fingerprints etc...all during a fascinating story: The Alienist: A Novel (Dr. Lazlo Kreizler)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 11:12:22 AM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Oh, I loved that book! Good rec, Charlene!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 12:28:58 PM PST
I liked it too! The second one was just ok, IMO.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 6:07:10 PM PST
I'm reading Pillars of the Earth now - a great recommendation. It's very gritty portrayal of life in 1100's England. I saw th mini series on the Winds of War and always wanted to read the book, but haven't had a chance to. I also enjoy anything written by Allison Weir and Jean Plaidy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 6:32:58 PM PST
World Without End is good, too. Although not up to the standard of Pillars, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 6:41:00 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
I'm going to get Pillars of the Earth from my parents' local library (where I am at the moment) in DTB format. I've wanted to read it since seeing the first few parts of the mini-series and missing the rest. I figured the book had to be better than the mini-series, anyway.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 3:29:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2012 3:36:16 AM PST
My personal recommendations for you would be: the Poldark series by Winston Graham, beginning with Ross Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall, 1783-1787; the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian, beginning with Master and Commander By Patrick O'Brian, and anything by Mary Renault, particularly The King Must Die & The Bull from the Sea, The Last of the Wine, and her Alexander The Great trilogy beginning with Fire from Heaven.
(Not certain how many available on Kindle.)

Also The Name of the Rose (Everyman's Library Classics & Contemporary Classics). Great movie too.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Jan 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions