nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Are you influenced by goodreads shelves?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2012 11:51:09 AM PDT
Ederyn says:
Other people's shelves, that is. I imagine everyone on Amazon these days also has a Goodreads account, so I'm just wondering whether other readers are like me. Yesterday I was searching Goodreads for a book that was recommended to me, but I'd never heard of it before and knew absolutely nothing about the book or the author. But when it came up, I noticed all the shelves on the right sidebar that other people had shelved it under, things like

Etc. Those aren't the actual shelves, but you get the idea. I decided to give the book a pass, but googled for the skinny since I just can't resist a good trainwreck. Nothing came up, so I thought about it awhile, then ultimately decided those other readers must know something I didn't and added the book to my own do-not-read shelf. Now I'm curious how many other readers would do the same, and how many would give the author a break. I myself can't afford more than a handful of self-published books per month, and I feel bad putting money into the pockets of the shameful when there are other struggling writers out there more deserving. But what do the rest of you think?

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 12:02:26 PM PDT
I won't spend any money on anyone I see 'outing' reviewers. I also won't spend any money on authors that I've seen act badly towards readers here at Amazon.

However, I would not spend time making a shelf and putting books on that shelf, if I have no intention of reading them. I would just ignore them altogether.

If I see a book I'm interested in on someone else's shelf and the shelf was so named, I would investigate it for myself to see what's going on.

Some people have a lot of shelves. I only have:
Horror Classics Read
Short Story Collections
Loanable Kindle Books
Kindle Books Already Loaned
Love Me Some Irish Authors

I think that's it. I wouldn't mind seeing everyone's list of shelves. : )
I'm nosy that way.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 12:06:45 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I have 'authors to avoid' and other shelves like that. They're to remind myself that I don't wish to read or purchase the book as I prefer not to support or encourage the author's inappropriate behavior.

If you want the skinny on those authors, you can Google them. Quite often, the bad behavior has been documented on more than one blog.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 12:11:10 PM PDT
I haven't paid any attention to shelves on GRs so far. I mostly look at reviews on Amazon.

I may start checking them out just to see what others have to say.

I agree with Charlene about investigating for myself, as you did, but I like those shelves. With all the self-pubbed books there are out there it's pretty hard to make decisions and I don't want to support badly behaving authors.

I figure if an author doesn't mind acting out in public then why would they mind having their book on a shelf titled BBA. It's their choice how they behave and no excuse will justify it.

I'm also a fan of the snarky review so that might explain why I like those shelves. And I know that none of the authors I've become friends with on Ammy will ever be on one of those shelves because they are too mature to behave so childishly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 12:38:25 PM PDT
Ederyn says:
You know, for the longest time I didn't think it was a good idea to have a DNR shelf, simply because I'm a self-published scribbler myself and I figured spiteful writers would shelve mine too. But there are now so blinkin many BBAs out there, that if I didn't create a shelf for them I'd never remember them all, and probably buy one by accident. I just created that shelf the other day, and already I've added more than 50 people to it! Waaaah! Where do they all come from?! Anyway, here are my shelves:

read (215)
currently-reading (1)
to-read (375)
do-not-read (54)
biography (74)
children (64)
comics (6)
fiction (83)
lgbt (27)
nonfiction (55)
public-domain (248)
self-published (36)
wish-list (96)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 12:41:47 PM PDT
Ederyn says:
Exactly! If they didn't mind acting out publicly, they shouldn't mind having their books on negative shelves. I figure they must think, "Well, at least my books are noticed!"

I must admit, other people do give their shelves some seriously imaginative names. Hee!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 1:53:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2012 1:55:48 PM PDT
Read this for a few authors who appear to have forgotten that what they write others can see.

Edited: Oops! You were there before me!

Your post was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 1:57:27 PM PDT
OK, Charlene, here are my shelves: "to be read", "currently reading" and "read". :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:01:18 PM PDT
Keeping it simple, Marcus, way to go!
Seriously, have you seen some of the shelves over there? One lady had 3 PAGES of shelves! OMG, how do you find anything? LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:02:32 PM PDT
I have to say that I've never looked at other people's shelves, but you have my interest piqued.

One reason why I haven't gone a more complicated route is that I never thought to do so. Now you've all got me thinking ... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:07:37 PM PDT
Are you Marcus Pailing on GRs?

If so, I'll send you a friend request. My name there starts with Z.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:08:39 PM PDT
I think we're friends already, aren't we? Otherwise, please do - and yes, I use my real name there, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:09:19 PM PDT
Ederyn says:
I never thought to go looking at other people's shelves either, but whenever you search for a book there, all the shelves it's shelved on appear on the right, and sometimes they're danged funny! ^_~

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:10:37 PM PDT
Lol! We are. Sheesh, talk about memory lapse!

I should remember better, because I like the private messaging feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:13:25 PM PDT
Ederyn says:
Thanks! I totally love the post directly above mine, about what great spies they are. Hee! =^ᴗ^=

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:14:14 PM PDT
Never looked at that list, though. But I will now, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention! That'll be more of my time wasted - yippee!

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 2:14:49 PM PDT
Notey says:
I have a "never" shelf as a catch all to remind me I have researched a book and was not interested. This can be for a lot of different reasons. I thought it was a nice way to word it compared to some I've seen :-) I have been contacted by a writer asking about why his book is there. It kinda of made me mad. My shelves, my business.

I only have a few shelves, but I am thinking of more. It is hard to remember some of the books years after reading them. It would be nice to have a way to see at a glance the books by genre or plot point. But then again, re-shelving almost 4000 books would be a chore.

I do look at other peoples shelves when I am looking at books. I look for an explanation for why they put it where they did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 2:35:38 PM PDT
Ederyn says:
4000 books? Whoa... *is very impressed*

I can't help looking at the shelves now that I'm aware of them, and I suppose a single reader placing it on a bad shelf wouldn't sway me. But when I see a whole list of negative shelves, and hundreds of people tagging it per each shelf, then I definitely give it a miss even if I don't know why they all shelved it that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 3:00:29 PM PDT
Notey says:
Some people who have BBA shelves put the explanations as a comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 3:10:18 PM PDT
Ederyn says:
You can comment on shelves? *goes to GR*

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 3:10:50 PM PDT
I forgot a couple of shelves. I also have:
Loanable Kindle books
Loanable but loaned already Kindle books
true crime
true ghosts
dnf-did not finish.

BTW, if anyone is there and sees something they would like to borrow from my lendable shelf, shoot me a pm. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 3:25:22 PM PDT
Ederyn says:
*checks it out*

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 4:45:34 PM PDT
Sometimes I'm influenced not to pick a book up. Like say the 50 shades reviews, some of them are just downright hilarious and makes me think I really should spend my money elsewhere. :p

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 2:13:31 PM PDT
Karen Mead says:
Just wanted to chime in that I found out about GR shelves from this thread- before seeing this I hadn't paid much attention to the way the site worked and only had the default read, reading and to-read shelves. Now I am stupidly addicted to making my own shelves and finding the right shelves for every book.

On topic, I am cautiously optimistic that some readers will be influenced by my "Needs to be edited with an AXE" shelf.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 2:27:55 PM PDT
Lol! I want to see that one.

I've never done any shelving on GRs, either, but I think I will, now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Jul 25, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions