ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

New Nook came out today..... so I guess its game over for you all.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 1:30:28 PM PDT
Anna Lewis says:
thanks Zen Druid,
this is also a great idea, am 72 and trying to keep up....and all these answers are sure helpful.

Posted on May 2, 2012 1:15:58 PM PDT
You no take Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 12:44:11 PM PDT
Zen Druid says:
In addition to what Amelia said, you can download the Magic Gutenberg Catalog from . This catalog just lives on your Kindle. You can search it by title or author for any Gutenberg book and download it directly from the catalog. Works great!

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 11:17:54 PM PDT
How do you use Open Library? I have tried and can't figure it out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 11:15:44 PM PDT
You're welcome! (I don't use OpenLibrary, but I imagine it's similar, at least when using a computer.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 11:12:29 PM PDT
Anna Lewis says:
Thanks, AmeliaAT,
this is very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:39:46 PM PDT
There are two ways to do it (that I use).

1. Using your computer, find the book on PG that you want and download it to a folder where you can find it. Connect your KK to your computer via the USB cable and copy & paste or drag & drop it from the folder on the computer to the "documents" folder on your Kindle. (You can also email it to your Kindle's email address if you don't want to bother with the USB cable.)

2. Using your Kindle's experimental browser, go to, find the book, click on the Kindle edition, and it will download directly to your Kindle. (It will ask you if that's what you want to do, and you agree.) It takes mere seconds for the book to download. It's quite convenient.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:25:30 PM PDT
MH says:
I own a Kindle Fire. I also publish my books on Amazon (33 of them). I also publish them on B

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:06:22 PM PDT
"I haven't either, but I know it's incredibly easy to accidentally order a book"

I've had my Kindle for a little over three years now and had never made a purchase by mistake. Until two months ago. I was browsing on the website and had a brain fart and clicked on the Buy button instead of the Wishlist button. I'm so glad Amazon makes returns easy for situations in which our clicking fingers lead us astray! (I've also returned a few for being really poorly formatted or containing too many OCR errors.)

Posted on May 1, 2012 5:48:59 PM PDT
I have a Kindle DX. I use it every day. The reason I bought it was because two people I knew who were readers showed me how easy it was to use and they were right. A couple of people since then, having used my Kindle, have gone out and got ones for themselves.

The only people I know who have Nooks, and admittedly that's a small pool, have been sold them by Barnes & Noble employees. If I had to contrast the personality types in question, folks I know who were avid readers already, well, they buy the Kindle. Folks who can be sold on a new gadget buy the Nook. I am CERTAINLY not saying that's always the case. Just in my personal experience it has been.

When I'm on a plane, I see Kindles. The only time I ever see a Nook is when I'm on my way to the audio book section of a Barnes & Noble and an employee is attempting to flag me down for a demo.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 5:03:53 PM PDT
Is this a rhetorical question or a query question?

Posted on May 1, 2012 4:59:24 PM PDT
Anna Lewis says:
How do you download books from the Gutenberg site or Open Library on your
Kindle keyboard?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 11:51:21 AM PDT
I bought a B&N ebook that was showing free. When I downloaded it, it cost $9.98. B&N's return policy is: NO RETURNS. Not for any reason.

Since this book was supposed to be free, they were willing to refund my money, but not for two months, and it took me countless calls and emails to various people for it to happen. I would never, never, never, never have a Nook because of their lousy CS.

I have accidentally bought several Amazon books (a couple times because I 1-clicked before realizing the $0.00 price was for Prime members.) The refund was instataneous.

I don't care who has a Nook. I just see no reason to come here and disparage the Kindle. That's just childish, nasty behavior.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:58:45 AM PDT
Some people start out with one device and then decide that a different one meets their needs better (usually because of things like availability of the books they want or customer service experience, or sometimes because everyone they know has X ereader and they have Y, and they want to be able to share books more easily). Sometimes people just like to have two different ones so that they can buy at either B&N or Amazon. (There are also other ereaders out there, Sony, Kobo, etc.) And they may prefer one format over another epub, for example, was available in U.S. libraries for quite a while before Kindle books were, so that may have influenced them to get a Nook as well as a Kindle, or get a Nook first and a Kindle later.

There are still books that my library has in Adobe epub but not Kindle. If I want to read one of those, I'd have to use an app on my laptop. Using a Nook would be easier.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:56:51 AM PDT
I haven't either, but I know it's incredibly easy to accidentally order a book (or a kid will do it by accident). I also know there are some VERY poorly formatted books. It's not a Kindle problem with the formatting. It's a conversion problem, meaning the nook won't be any better. There are plenty of formatting issues with lots of nook books too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:54:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2012 10:55:00 AM PDT
I see. I've honestly never had that problem with my Nook downloads, nor have I done an accidental purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:52:35 AM PDT

Accidental purchase, poor formatting, incorrect book (title does not match the copy that's in the book).

There are a lot of reasons to return one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:51:21 AM PDT
Y would U return an E book?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 10:49:07 AM PDT
So if you have a nook, and you don't like Kindles, why are you here?

Do you post on the nook customer discussions?

Have you ever tried to return an ebook to B&N?

Posted on May 1, 2012 10:25:49 AM PDT
I have a nook

Posted on May 1, 2012 9:36:36 AM PDT
This does raise an interesting question in my mind: I wonder how many people own both a Kindle and a Nook (I mean actual book readers / buyers, not publishers using the devices to see how their books look). Does anyone here have both?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 9:22:34 AM PDT
Brent Butler says:
Microsoft also owns a slice of Apple. Their rivalry is purely symbolic.

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:10:09 AM PDT
A new device is not the issue. The issue is Microsoft's announcement that they will invest in a digital subsidiary with B&N that may serve as a counterpoint to the Amazon model.

Amazon's Prime and associated content for Kindles is the success story behind the physical devices.

But, as always comes to my mind when I see this type of trolling, I have to wonder why you posted in the Amazon forums rather than at the Nook forums. I don't expect an answer, I just find it rather amusing.

Posted on May 1, 2012 7:07:37 AM PDT
Hef says:
VHS and Beta; Blue Tooth and Wifi; LAN and ethernet; Kindle and Nook; and blah, blah, blah. Plllllllllleeeeeease get over yourself and your "preferences" and stop thinking we care. The marketplace is big. The planet has air enough for all of us. Breath, but don't exhale in my face.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 3:19:41 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2012
Latest post:  May 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions