Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

How Often Do You Buy Book #2?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 12, 2012 3:36:31 PM PDT
Lyn says:
I know lots of people like downloading books for free and buying the .99 cent books. I'm curious as to how many people often buy the second book in the series. If a book has bad writing or can't draw me in, I definitely don't. I do, however, become easily invested in characters and that always sparks interest in the next book.

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:38:55 PM PDT
i typically have a rule that says if the first book is only so-so, then I'll at least try the second one in the series...and there have been a few instances where i'm glad that I have, because the second was much better

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:09:41 PM PDT
If I have purchased part 1 n c part 2 is already available. I normally purchase part 2 @ the same time.. If the book isnt any gud it may take me awhile but i will eventually get to it..

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:23:52 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
If I try book 1 and it isn't more than 'meh,' then I will skip book 2 and on. Book 1 is the book to impress me with, and not impressing me does not get more of my money. Especially a second book that's higher priced.

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:27:56 PM PDT
Lyn says:
It is a running theme on goodreads that if one starts a series and reviews it, they must also pick up the other books and do the same. A lot of people feel bound by duty to buy a second book in a series when they have spent time reading the first. That is not so much the case for me, but I admire the people that feel that way. They always retain hope that if the first one isn't so good, they keep drudging along in hopes that the series will improve. This has happened one or two times for me, but it does rarely happen.

Posted on May 12, 2012 4:34:34 PM PDT
Charlie Fox says:
This happened to me once, I didn't really like the first in the series, but believed reviews (sigh) that the second one was better. I personally thought it was worse. No more, I have to honestly like the first one before I venture further. I do understand that some authors 'improve' with each book, but sometimes there's too much room for improvement, and waiting for them to get mediocre would be about book 15.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 4:57:58 PM PDT
H.Sue says:
My hope is that if people like the first, they won't hesitate to buy the second even if it's priced higher. I'm in the midst of writing the much-requested sequel to my novel and expect to lower the price on the first once this one's finished. Whether readers will be willing to pay more to read book #2 (assuming they enjoyed #1) is something I'm curious to discover. I've seen this marketing strategy work for other writers. Thoughts?

Posted on May 12, 2012 5:00:59 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
This has only happened once with me. Even major publishers often give the first book in a series free or low priced. The only time I actually bought the rest of the books in a series was after I read Darkfever: The Fever Series (got it for 1.99, and subsequently purchased the next four books at 7.99 each).

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 5:15:17 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Yes, main stream publishers do this: Outlander: with Bonus Content was actually free about a year or so ago (give or take).

But again, if that first book isn't enough to wow me, I'm moving on.

Posted on May 12, 2012 5:30:51 PM PDT
I really appreciate being able to try book 1 for free, and I frequently buy book 2 (and on) for $2.99 or $4.99. I feel no need to continue with a series I'm not enjoying, but if book 1 was good I'm happy to buy the rest. I've read a lot of great Indie series that I probably wouldn't have taken a chance on if the first book hadn't been free. Right now I'm reading a traditionally published series where book 1 was $.99, book 2 was available for Kindle from the library, and if both are good I'll buy the other 2 or 3 for $7.99 each. I probably wouldn't have started the series if it meant buying all 5 at full price.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 6:01:06 PM PDT
Lyn says:
The same for me as well. For a while both books of mine were priced evenly, but I've recently taken the first down to $.99 to see if it makes a difference. I know Amanda Hocking used the same tactic, and other bloggers and authors recommend it as well. My main fear revolves around the theory that readers will devalue a book placed at a low cost and won't ever read it.

Posted on May 12, 2012 8:35:32 PM PDT
I am one of those people who nearly always reads book 2. If book 1 good ill buy it, if not ill get it from the library. If the library is not an option, ill get around to buying it eventually. Also most of the books I read are in a series. I am one of those aforementioned readers who become rather invested in the characters of the books I read. Because of this, series work for me. There is actually only one series that ive started and do not have that nagging feeling that I haven't finished it. That is the Anita Blake series by Laurel K. Hamilton. After the 12th book it all just got to be a bit too much. Ill probably eventually get around to finishing it but for the time being I need a break (not that I'm a prude or anything and I'm cool with sex in my books but a new partner every chapter is a bit more than my moral faculties can handle for extended periods;))

Because of this, if a introductory book is offered cheaper I 'll bite. Its about a 99% guarantee I'm gonna read the whole thing anyway so yes I ammore likely to embark upon a series that I will have to purchase if the first book is cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 5:36:11 AM PDT
"I do understand that some authors 'improve' with each book, but sometimes there's too much room for improvement, and waiting for them to get mediocre would be about book 15."

Haha! Well said.

There are some series I've continued with even when I thought the first book was merely okay. Usually there is something about the book I like enough, whether it's the world building or the character or whatever, that makes me want to give things another chance before deciding one way or the other.

One series I did that with was the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. I liked the first book well enough, but it didn't truly grab me. However, her alternate reality was really unique and I was curious to see what else she'd do with it. (Well actually "they'd" do with it, it's a husband/wife writing team.) That's a case of each successive book being better than the previous book, so giving the second book a chance really paid off. It's one of my top favorite urban fantasy series now.

There have been several series though where the second book wasn't any more compelling than the first, so that was it. Not going to waste any more time and money on books that were just leaving me with a "meh" feeling when I might be able to discover a new author I really like by choosing a different book instead.

There are lots of other books where I really liked the first one in the series, but just haven't gotten around to buying and reading any more. The more I read the more this happens. It's impossible to keep up with everything!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 5:39:29 AM PDT
"The only time I actually bought the rest of the books in a series was after I read Darkfever: The Fever Series (got it for 1.99, and subsequently purchased the next four books at 7.99 each)."

Hah! Funny you mentioned that one. I'm reading it right now. I got it eons ago it seems like and just finally getting around to it. (I actually got it for free in 2009.) I'm only about 35% into it, but really liking her writing a lot, and unless the book tanks later on I'll definitely be buying more.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 12:18:33 PM PDT
G. says:
@Robin: I was sucked in by the free 1st book as well, and went on to read the rest of the books. They were REALLY good; left some questions at the end, but she is writing another series based on one of the characters that will hopefully answer these. This is one of many series where I bought the first book on the cheap or for free, and went on to buy the rest of the series. The trade-pubs seemed to have been doing this much more regularly in 2009-2010 and kind of limited the practice over the last year or so; too bad, because I thinik it was a fab way to get the rest of the books in a series bought at full price.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 12:33:53 PM PDT
Linda says:
I always buy books 2 and on if I liked the 99 cent book. For example, Albert Simon and his Palm Springs detective series. I was hooked with Book 1 and bought the other 4. Wish he had more.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 3:42:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 13, 2012 4:09:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:07:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 4:08:43 PM PDT
G. says:
STOP spamming your books! Reported. You ask why people have issues on this forum? I would submit it is because of people like you who SPAM their books across multiple fora. STOP. Yuck.

ETA: You spammed this book on the Children's books forum and were reported and DELETED. Why would you come to this forum and try again. For shame.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:25:01 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Gotta love a speedy Amazon bot! :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:27:40 PM PDT
G. says:
Holy Carp!!! I have never seen the Zon-bot so SPEEDY. Wow, and I would like to formally take back my bad thoughts about the Zon's slacker nature. Wow.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:33:50 PM PDT
bethcross says:
Tiffany - I typically download the first in a series when it's offered free. Usually, the others will come up free before I can read the first one, so in those cases, I'm set and consider myself very fortunate and prepare myself to be highly entertained.

Most books I've gotten for free tend to be "prequels" or short stories adjacent to their larger, pricier siblings. When I first got my Kindle, that was a downfall for me - I bought three $9.99+ right away because those prequels or shorts were very good - and I have to say, I was not disappointed nor do I regret spending the money.

The freebies and the books priced $3.99 and less are massively dangerous for someone like me because I guess I am not very discriminating and I love most books and stories, so I am fairly easily pleased. I consider myself blessed to have found so many new and exciting authors and stories since I got my Kindle a year ago. I will definitely pay for a new author, indie or otherwise, who has proven they are worth the risk by putting a book or two out there for free. There are only 2 I can think of that I just wouldn't bother with again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:35:55 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Nah, don't take it back. It's extremely inconsistent. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:39:14 PM PDT
G. says:
I know, but HJ, the ZON usually takes a day or two to respond to report abuse? Okay, it is inconsistent, but darn it, it was NICE to see this particular "entitled" author deleted so quickly :).

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:43:12 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
:)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 4:57:48 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Now if only they'd put that Prince Nightmare/Hunger Games "thing" to bed forever....
[Seems to me after at least three different threads started they should kick the whole book (all 57 pages?) off the site.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  May 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions