Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Authors, know thighselves

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2012 5:00:33 AM PDT
Splinker says:
No links or spam. But confess to an error or two you have found in your book.
Your reply to Splinker's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:40:08 AM PDT
apatos99 says:
Used the verb looked, four times in two consececutive paragraphs despite scrubbing over it three times. Redundancy is evil...

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:45:38 AM PDT
Rick G says:
Sure, no shame in doing so (assuming it's since been fixed). Had a dessert / desert confusion slip past me and my proofreader not too long ago. Someone pulling out a Dessert Eagle = a lot more fun than someone pulling a Desert Eagle on you. :)

My most hilarious (which I have shared before) is one that thankfully got caught right before publication: "He upholstered his gun". as opposed to unholstering it. That one somehow slipped past no less than ten sets of eyeballs before being caught almost by accident. Would have *really* changed the meaning of that chapter.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:08:10 AM PDT
Splinker says:
I mixed up names in one of my shorts, which was quite an accomplishment sine both characters were named James.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:08:48 AM PDT
apatos99 says: would upholstering your gun prevent powder and burn marks on your skin?

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:13:52 AM PDT
Oh, I'll play! :) In one of my books, my character Bones is referred to as Boned. No one noticed this during the editing/copyediting process and it went to print that way. A reader pointed it out after publication when it was too late to fix.

A mistake that my editor caught PRIOR to publication (thank God!) in another book was this: "felt the bugle in his pants." Ahem. You know your hero is REALLY happy to see the heroine when he has a "bugle" instead of a "bulge" in his pants ;-).

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:26:35 AM PDT
Lady Writer says:
On the back cover of my book, Marina del Rey somehow became MarTINA del Rey. My publisher and I now refer to the area as Navratalova del Rey. I think it Thankfully, I have the only copy of that teeny-tiny blunder.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 1:27:27 PM PDT
I had bad guys following my detective in a black Studebaker. The detective also drove a black Studebaker. The bad guys quickly traded in theirs for a Duesenberg. Well-funded, those bad guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:18:08 PM PDT
It's her!!!!!

Here there be authors I read and adore.......

*okay, fangirl moment over*

Let us speak of this no more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:22:42 PM PDT
I was having that moment too. Don't feel bad.

To all the authors, I recommend impaling all typos with a sturdy pole.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 3:22:29 PM PDT
Know THIGHself?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 4:19:16 PM PDT
To know the OP is to know the reason why.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 4:37:13 PM PDT
Splinker says:
Stupid spillchick

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:53:03 PM PDT
A.C Warneke says:
In one of my books. the hero had some weird symbol thing added to his name and I didn't catch it until after publication. Luckily I was able to fix it before too many copies were sold but I am still unsure how I managed to add strange symbols to a name....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:00:01 PM PDT
Rick G says:
Was it an HTML issue or print, AC? If the former, that's probably Word. I've had it munge some characters before.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 7:09:11 PM PDT
A.C Warneke says:
I have no idea - it was just strange. It got fixed but I cringe to think of how many people might have seen the flub.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:17:32 PM PDT
I'll play! My dark the middle of one of my books the character's white dress is suddenly red. I missed it, two editors missed it, the proof reader missed it. I never noticed until I listened to the audio book proof. I went and checked the print and it was wrong there too. The character was a Greek goddess so hopefully readers have attributed the color change to magic. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:19:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 10:20:40 PM PDT
Jeaniene you're awesome!! ;)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:22:02 AM PDT
Splinker says:
The title of my book was originally "i've Seen Deader" but i kept mixing it up with "I've Been Deader" and i think i forgot which one i preferred and just did a coin toss to decide.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 9:06:29 AM PDT
I accidentally referred to one character by the name of another character, who hadn't been introduced yet. It was a bit of a spoiler, as the yet-to-be-seen character eventually becomes a protagonist, but is played up as a potential enemy at first. Oops!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 10:35:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 10:38:22 AM PDT
T. Kelley says:
I was reading a book, the story was really good but the book desperately needed to be proofread. During one big emotional scene, the heroine of the story is on the second floor of a building watching a big fire in the distant city and the line should have read "as she was peering through the window" but instead it missed a letter and the line read "as she was peeing through the window".

That is the funniest error I've read in an ebook, it totally took me out of the story at the exact time I was supposed to connect with the character and her sense of loss. I laughed so hard and am ruined now, anytime anyone in any book peers through a window I remember that.

Edit Yikes, I'm not an author, sorry!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:53:03 PM PDT
My editor has just told me that he has been on a search and destroy mission in my latest text, looking for commas

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 1:02:50 PM PDT
Perhaps she had previously-undisclosed skills, and was hoping to put out the fire ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 4:18:07 AM PDT
That is too funny. Now you're going to have me all messed up every time I read a line about peering out windows.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 4:29:43 AM PDT
MMcDonald says:
This thread is hilarious. While I've had my share of errors in my books, they were/are the generic typos. In other words, boring. lol I was proofing a friend's manuscript when I came across the line, 'He put his hands around her waste.' That one made me chuckle.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions