I leave the thread for a few hours and everything rolls out as expected. The pattern is so predictable.
1. I don't do fake identities anywhere and have no interest in doing so. Anyone who has ever read any of my non-fiction will know that I am opinionated and that those opinions are often controversial but I'm always happy to back them up be it in print, via the media or in person. As I say, if you put something in the public domain, you have to be. But of course it's easy to throw that accusation around in the same way as the racist/homophobic/right wing etc tag is thrown around. It's a weapon used to put an opponent/target/victim on the defensive but in this case it also undermines both the identity and point being made as A.Person has discovered. It's classic bully, classic high school, classic McCarthyism.
2. I don't use the buttons. I don't actually see the point although clearly, judging by some of the things being said, they are a perceived status thing enjoyed by those seeking affirmation. Witness how excited some of them get at being downvoted.
3. As someone else has pointed out, it's interesting to see how a thread which is actually about the activities of certain individuals has actually been hijacked by some of those very people. Another textbook 'pack of dogs' style tactic to deter or even scare off.
4. Again, as seen on many other examples I've been shown, those same people have seized on to a single, perhaps debatable point and used that as the basis of attack (Pack of dogs again. That's an expression I've heard many times over the last few days). You think I'm an SP, I don't. But as I've said, however you define it I soon will be and will be happy to call myself such. So why is it such a big deal for you? It certainly doesn't matter to me.
5. And perhaps most interestingly of all, there are contributors to this very thread who have already been identified as having carried out the very things they are so desperate to accuse others of and at least one of those has been contacted directly so they know the game is up. Yet here they are, still barking away.
That's worrying if not a little sad. It matters not one iota to me if anyone believes it or not but I came on here to do some simple research and it has been amazingly useful. Not simply for the project I'm involved with, but in understanding just how bizzarely individuals can behave when their lives and quest for both status and identity become centred on an internet forum.
None of this is a revelation of course and the astute posters (of which there are many) will be well aware of the game that needs to be played. But I am fascinated as to the reasons why those people continue to tolerate and even encourage the behaviour of the more dubious characters.
Someone made the point earlier about fun and sense of humour being missing from these forums and they are spot on. At least they are if you use the established definition of fun. There are however all kinds of ways to define fun. Just ask any bully, because that little group must be having a whale of a time.
Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum
AnnouncementWelcome to the Kindle Books forum !
|1950||Jul 23, 2015|
|Transfer my Kindle books to my iPad||78||6 days ago|
|Professional Narration? Audio book option? Any opinions?||44||9 days ago|
|Transferring Data from a Computer to my Kindle Which is Registered to a Relative||2||11 days ago|
|giving your kindle to someone else||105||11 days ago|
|does audio narration work on kindle for mac?||2||12 days ago|
|From kindle device to cloud||4||15 days ago|
|Pricing: Are you mad?||6||18 days ago|
|how do you track sales of your Kindle book?||16||18 days ago|
|MATURE Women's Fiction/Authors, Tyler, Pym||49||24 days ago|
|Magic Mouse page scrolling issues in Kindle for Mac||3||26 days ago|
|Ereader||0||Oct 28, 2015|