Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Authors, know thighselves

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 57 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 4:45:36 AM PDT
Splinker says:
I hope he didn't put his hands around her waste and squeeze.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 5:01:02 AM PDT
At least, not unless he was a plumber...

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:37:55 AM PDT
Rena Ruadh says:
I'm not a fiction author, but an academic who's written/published a fair share of articles, book chapters etc. Once I accidentally wrote that a certain (very important) precedent case had been decided by the House of Lords instead of the Court of Appeal. Unfortunately, I then sat in on a hearing in the House of Lords where one of their Lordships referred to my article, saying something along the lines of "...the writer who seems to think that 'Durant' had been decided by us..." I wanted to just fade away and become invisible...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:45:24 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Ouch!

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 8:35:54 AM PDT
I goofed up a character name once. I'd changed it during the edit process, and somehow, one of the changes didn't get caught. Site/sight have been flubbed once. And the occasional typo.

But lately, every "New York" paperback in my TBR collection I've picked picked up to go through has at least one typo in it, usually more. So I don't feel so bad. LOL Last night, I saw "Borders" written as "Border's" and then later as "Borders." So they missed that. Also, in the same book, they keep writing "lowlifes" as "lowlives," and yes, I know technically M-W says that's an acceptable spelling, it's also not the common spelling, and grates my teeth.

People are human. No matter what, something is always going to get missed. I don't think I've ever seen a book, whether it's indie, NY, or self-pubbed, that didn't have at least one typo in it. As long as it's not an excessive number of typos, I try to overlook them. Two or three in a book isn't excessive. Two or three per page, that's just shoddy. And I'm not a comma nazi either, so I don't consider those typos.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 1:32:52 PM PDT
In SPILL I meant to have a character complain about a malodorous flatus event during a legislative session and he complained that it was melodious.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:04:26 AM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
I completely forgot about one of my characters once. I'm not published, but it is on a website so lot's of people saw it and they all wanted to know where Nick went. I am sad to say it took me a good five minutes to remember who the heck they were talking about. He hadn't made an apperance for a good six or seven chapters when he lived in the same house with the other characters that had been mentioned the whole time.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:49:52 AM PDT
Ceredigion says:
One of my typos deserves a mention here:
'The old man raised his begging bowel.'

It was corrected before publishing but conjures up some nasty images!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:40:34 PM PDT
G. says:
A "begging bowel"? Prolapsed colon? Yuck, but VERY funny. ;)

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 5:38:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 5:44:29 PM PDT
There are "Verbal" typos - during a retirement ceremony in the Army I referred to a unit as the "Five Secondy Second..." (522nd Infantry or some such) on a loudspeaker in front of 10,000 troops (and the commander of said unit). That went over well.

(Kinda hard to edit once you speak...no spell check can save you)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:09:32 AM PDT
Ceredigion says:
When I type the word 'bowl' now, I always double check it hasn't happened again. For some reason, George often comes out as Goerge. I once wrote an entire short story and changed the main character's name and sex half way through.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 9:12:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2012 9:13:00 AM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
Selena sighed. "You said that the last few times," she muttered, settling herself in her HAIR and turning around to face her customer.

That was supposed to be chair. Glad I caught it before I posted it online!

P.S. Selena works in a bookstore. She's not a prostitute.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 9:48:41 AM PDT
M. McManus says:
Of coruse eyrevnoe kwons that olny the fisrt and the lsat lteter in a word need to be in the pporer pcale. The human mind can qcuikly cerroct ever a secnentce like this. 3v3n 1f you r3plac3 le773rs w17h numb3rs, your bra1n w1ll f1gur3 13 out soon3r or la73r.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:54:22 AM PDT
G. says:
;). I doubt that mistake will EVER be made again (by you at least)!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 9:57:24 AM PDT
I find this completely fascinating. I think this is one reason why it's so difficult to get a book completely free of mistakes. And why authors need editors!

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 10:26:08 AM PDT
readingfool says:
Many years ago, I used to proof read for a newspaper. I am a little anal about spelling. Not so much about comma's.
I admit I am not an author, but I recently read a book where I found mistakes with the words "then and than." Each time one of these words was used, it should have been the other. Once or twice, maybe even a few times, mistakes like these are acceptable to me. But not every time the words were used, which was over two hundred times in the book. ( the book was ONLY 227 pages long.) This kind of mistake is not acceptable to me.
Writing is a craft. People who want to be successful at it, and sell me on their talent and storytelling ability, should at the very least, have someone who is competent and capable, proof read their offerings.
It is difficult for me to tolerate these kinds of amateur mistakes and they made me want to contact the author and offer my services as proof reader. I decided against it as I am NOT an editor...just a reader who is looking for a new and exciting author to read.
So, no matter how may typos and glaring mistakes there are, you are doing something I am not. And that is; you are putting yourself out there for people like me to critique and criticize for those goofs that are not corrected, but are missed by many sets of eyes...Keep on writing. If it is your bliss, never stop.
Never give up on your dreams. And good luck...

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 11:43:28 AM PDT
G Gross says:
Self-editing's tough because you know what you BELIEVE you wrote, even if that's not what actually ended up on the page. Those things are much easier to find when someone else proofreads. I'm on my 6th editing pass and just found that I used "he was disappointment" instead of "he was disappointed." Ugh. I'm publishing soon, there'd better not be many more of those lurking in the manuscript.

Also, my fondness for the word "just" is unjustified. "He just stood there" and "She just waited" peppered my first draft. It wasn't pretty.

~G

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 11:48:48 AM PDT
Rick G says:
There's actually some software programs out there that will look for heavily repeated words. I need it for my personal bane, "However"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 3:37:50 PM PDT
One thing I learned to do when proofreading for spelling, etc. was to read from the end to the beginning, a sentence at a time. That way you are less likely to see what you expect to see.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 3:47:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 3:48:03 PM PDT
I completely forgot that I when a character in my book was being told the path to take to their destination it included a train ride in between the bus and the goat cart. So they catch the bus to the little country town and then go meet up with the cart two days later. Oops. Will be a good way to fill out the story in a revised edition later on, for now I just take out the original train reference...

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:38:36 AM PDT
In the first edition of my second novel I had a scene take place out of time sequence. A MAJOR continuity error the editor somehow missed, but I caught it in the second edition.

p.s. I think the subject line of this thread is hilarious, and I assume it's intentional.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 9:48:53 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Thank ya.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 10:11:27 AM PDT
No matter how many times I go through my manuscripts, something always seems to slip through. But, I try. My self pubbed books are guiltier than my traditionally published books, but even those have mistakes in them. One of my publishers uses 4 editors and I go through the books multiple times with each of them before a book releases. All of them end up having a mistake or two. Even more hilarious than some of the mistakes readers catch, is when a reviewer blasts a book with a 1 star because of a couple editing mishaps, and include a grammatical error ratio of 1 in 3 in their review. It's hard to take their 1 star review with any seriousness when they've destroyed their credibility by displaying their own lack of understanding of the English language so vibrantly in a few short sentences.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 10:14:15 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Don't get snarky. Reviewers are allowed their errors, they aren't charging for them.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 1:56:01 PM PDT
Miss Ani Rae says:
One time my character had her hands tied behind her back and in the next chapter she was setting them in her lap. I completely forgot about the ropes, lol.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions