Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Ebookr.com - anyone know anything about this site

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 51 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 2, 2012 6:02:40 AM PDT
Danny Boy says:
What I find particularly interesting about ebookr.com is that I discovered them through an advertising link on Amazon.com while searching for some ebooks. It wasn't a pop-up style link either, it was embedded in the Amazon.com page. It certainly lended credibility to their site when I found it this way.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 7:22:54 AM PDT
Kindler51 says:
I just looked at ebookr.com and found the following message:
--------------------------------------------
Closed to New Members
eBookr is now closed to new members.
If you currently have an eBookr membership,
you may proceed to login as usual.
Login
Otherwise, there are currently no
plans to re-open access to eBookr.
Please try Amazon or Barnes and
Noble for your eBook needs. We
apologize for any inconvenience."
--------------------------------------------
If something looks like it's too good to be true, it probably is!

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 10:40:25 AM PDT
I hope the staff, founders, and patrons of eBookr all contract mutant untreatable leprosy and die screaming as they are consumed alive by rabid bedbugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 3:28:07 PM PDT
Mmmm, sounds like a pirate site.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 3:33:07 PM PDT
The problem is when you send the file you are sending it and keeping your copy. It would be like going into the book store and just taking 4 books and saying I've bought this one and I just want to share it so I'm not going to pay this time. Your butt would be in jail pronto! It's too bad people can't see the truth of what they do. If you send the copy to a friend and delete it and if they send it to a friend and delete it then I see nothing wrong with sharing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 5:52:59 AM PDT
I know I joined in February 2012 and have been trying to cancel my subscription for the past month, to no avail. They offer NO phone numbers and have failed to respond to my emails. I have filed a complaint with FTC.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 5:56:35 AM PDT
M. Adkins says:
I canceled my CC and got a new one!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 6:01:29 AM PDT
I have used the "contact us" link and have spent the past month trying to unsubscribe; they responded once, asking me to confirm my request. I did respond with my confirmation to cancel and they still charged me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 6:47:49 AM PDT
Frank Tuttle says:
The FTC has little or no influence over the Russian mafia who probably are in actual control of the site. These people are criminals, openly engaged in criminal activity -- expecting them to comply with normal business standards is an exercise in futility.

I'm with Lady Lucretia on this one. Especially since my titles are being stolen right and left, even as we speak.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 7:00:34 AM PDT
Kindler51 says:
From http://www.webstatsdomain.com/domains/www.ebookr.com/:

"Ebookr.com - eBookr - Closed to New Members
Review of Ebookr.com

Ebookr.com is 1 years and 1 months old, it is ranked 157,485 in the world (among the 30 million domains). This site is relatively popular among users in the Philippines. It gets 46.1% from Philippines. This site is estimated worth $3,039USD. This site has a low Pagerank(1/10). It has 35 backlinks. It's good for seo website. Ebookr.com has 10% seo score."

Being popular in the Philippines is one hint; prices too good to be true is another. Good luck with an FTC complaint--I hope you cancelled your credit card.

Posted on May 29, 2012 3:55:13 PM PDT
sm says:
Okay, but what can you do if you find out your books are being sold there without your permission? Does anybody know? When I had the issue via Amazon I just contacted them and they took care of things, but this isn't via Amazon so I don't know what I can do on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 4:42:29 PM PDT
Bandy says:
You can report it as an internet crime to the FBI:
http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
The Ebookr.com piracy site is hosted in the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 2:18:31 PM PDT
sm says:
Thank you. Amazon told me to contact the IP Host, but they haven't helped so I have an attorney working on it. If that doesn't work then I'll report it to the FBI.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 2:36:51 PM PDT
M. Adkins says:
I hope you get your books off the site! Let us know!!

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:04:15 PM PDT
RET/Teacher says:
LOL@FRANK

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:40:41 AM PDT
sm says:
Thanks. The attorney sent an official letter this week and she sent me a copy. Now it's just a wait and see what happens thing I guess. Right now I have very little faith that anything will happen to make them stop, but I'll keep trying as long as I can.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 6:16:06 PM PDT
Why would that be a scam? Microsoft Zune market place charges 15.00 month for unlimited music downloads; Netflix does the same thing with movies for eight bucks a month.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 6:17:55 PM PDT
Why would that be a scam. Microsoft Zune charges 15.00 month for unlimited music downloads, and Netflix does the same thing with movies for eight bucks a month. Wouldn't this site have been hut down by now if it were a scam?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 6:17:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 6:18:45 PM PDT
Because movies and music and books are all different things. Just because sites do it for some things doesn't mean other sites can do it for other things.

No sites exist where you can legally pay $X.XX per month and get unlimited ebooks. Those sites do NOT give royalties to the authors or publishers, and they are selling books without the permission of the authors and publishers.

ETA: there are millions (possibly billions) of sites on the Internet. Every time one is shut down due to piracy, 10 more pop up. People are going after these sites, but there are too many to keep up with.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 6:24:36 PM PDT
They are different only in media presentation; all in all they are digital files, and the ebookr are many, many times smaller than either the digital music or digital movie files. How could they get away with this for over a year without a c and d being dropped on them, and website being shut down.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 6:26:39 PM PDT
I don't know how it works with getting websites shut down. All I can tell you is that no website exists where you can legally pay a set price per month and get unlimited reading material.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 6:29:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 6:30:13 PM PDT
I had someone recently tell me that no site can charge xx.xx dollars per month for music for unlimited downloads. They were "one hundred percent sure" then I showed them Zune. Now they, too, are members of Zune. I don't want to participate in anything illegal, but the business model has worked well in similar publishing businesses. How many books would someone really read in a year? I mean the average guy, not your voracious reader outliers? If they're stealing, why isn't the owners in jail with the mega upload turd?

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 6:33:01 PM PDT
It's too bad. I think it would work well, even with a reasonable download limit. Perhaps more people would start reading more, and spending less time in front of the idiot box. I definitely appreciate your input here. I need to do more investigating on the legitimacy of this company.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 10:40:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 10:43:20 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Steven, such sites do exist. They are called public libraries. They are not financed from your membership fee, but your tax, but that's the same thing (plus solidarity).

A model where a library site would be financed solely through membership fee is conceivable, but, at prices that established publishers demand and hoops they require borrowers to jump through, it would not be $15 a month.

And just to make this clear: Zune Music Pass allows unlimited *streaming*, not permanent downloads, right? (Yes, I know it is technically possible to record streamed music, like it is possible to strip DRM from a library e-book.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 12:22:20 AM PDT
sm says:
From somebody who has had their work stolen and sold on this site I can say that they are definitely illegal. The only way I found out they had my books is because somebody who bought them there couldn't open two of them and she thought I was going to help her get them. She assumed since the books were there that I knew about them and put them there. I Never got paid on anything they sold there and they had No permission to sell them, so yeah, I would be cautious of any site promising e-books for a flat fee because most of them (if not all) are illegal. Since the site above is closed to new membership it is not accessible unless you already have one. I think if authors and publishers knew the work was there they would probably ban together to go after the site. Publishers have a better option of doing that because they have lawyers already on their payroll to handle such issues. However you still have to have the link to the page when filing DCMA complaints. Copyright infringement is a federal crime so as some really nice person (on here I think) told me, and my lawyer later told me, you can contact the FBI. That could take forever, but at least it's an option.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions