Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Ed's Booktalk Cafe: That's so overrated (6/14/2012)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-98 of 98 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:33:09 PM PDT
I'll look them up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:51:41 PM PDT
G. says:
Yes!!! What a deal. I snatched it up due to another reader who gave me the heads-up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:56:30 PM PDT
I've only read 1 of her Marcus Didius falco books - but I really liked The Course of Honor by her which is historical fiction

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:00:43 PM PDT
I believe the Course of Honour was her first actual finished book. But she couldn't place it. When the Falco series became a hit, of course, then...

Now she writes Civil War stuff. That's ours, not the US one, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:15:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 3:25:28 PM PDT
I've loved Gabriel Aubry's "look" for quite some time. I actually used a pic of him when I was providing visuals for my college-level class as we were reading THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY (for the image of Dorian of course). ;) He served as the "placeholder" for my image of my own hero in my second Templar book, too.

Speaking of Templars, a popular book I HATED (and not just because it was presented as "fact" when it was filled with fiction): THE DaVINCI CODE. Beyond all my problems with elements of the content, I detested Brown's writing style. It seemed to be a lot of info-dumping and telling rather than showing. Good story concept, but the execution fell terribly flat for me.

A "classic" book I detest that many love: MOBY DICK. It's the only book I was ever assigned to read, throughout earning an undergrad degree in English and Master's in English Lit that I just. could. not. read. Actually, much of American lit (novel-length) annoys me. I find much of it too much boy-comes-of-age or misogynist (Hemingway, anyone?). I'm a Brit-lit girl through and through.

I liked the first TWILIGHT book well enough, though I really have a problem with Bella as a "heroine". The others were ok, until the last in the series, when it finally took its "horror" turn, after (IMHO) Ms. Meyers painted herself into a corner with the plot and couldn't go anywhere else but to have Bella make the decision(s) she did (not mentioned specifically to avoid spoiler territory).

Haven't read FIFTY SHADES or any of its sequels. Read a blurb and was not taken with the prose-style.

This is a great topic - thanks for bringing it up, Mayhem!

--MRM

Edited to change an "s" to an "n" :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:16:35 PM PDT
i was looking at her civil war one, but someone on goodreads who i asked about it, said it wasn't as good as her other stuff - that it was more telling than showing

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 3:30:47 PM PDT
I haven't looked at 'Traitors'. It's a bit modern for my reading tastes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 1:21:19 AM PDT
"Couldn't agree more, HJ. "Mists" is superb, and one of the best Arthurians out there..."

Ah, here's an example of one that is continually lauded and wow I just don't get it. I've tried to read the book twice now, and neither time did I get very far. Which is odd, I SHOULD like it as much as everyone else, especially since I'm a fan of MZB and her Darkover books.

I keep thinking I should give it a third try, it might be the charmed attempt, but I really don't want to read that big honkin' paperback and there's no way I want to spend the money for a second copy as an ebook when I've had so little success with it.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 5:02:09 AM PDT
I find a lot of literary fiction just doesn't live up to the hype. Never Let Me Go had such an intriguing, dark premise, but it fell flat for me. I guess I'm just not nuanced enough. Same for Freedom. Some great writing in that book, but the characters were venal and exhausted me. Plus, as one reviewer noted, Patty sounded an awful lot like Jonathan Franzen.

OK, those are my picks -- feel free to pile on!

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 5:30:23 AM PDT
I always hesitate when I hear people say this is the best debut i've read this year, or best new PNR (or insert other genre here)...because I am inveriably disappointed...Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison was a book like that for me - everyone was raving about it (and many still are), but it was only ok for me...the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones is another one (although admittedly, that one has gotten better as the books have progressed)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 11:50:08 AM PDT
I didn't know that Davis now writes Civil War stuff. Maybe I shall try those, as well. Thanks, Will.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 11:52:19 AM PDT
I should say that I found it almost impossible to read some of MZB's other works, though. I enjoyed her one about Cassandra (was it called "Priestess of Troy"?), and I haven't tried the Darkover books; but she wrote a couple of others that were 'related' to MoA ("The Forest House" was one, IIRC) and I barely managed the first four or five chapters.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 12:05:23 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
I was also unable to get through 'The Forest House,' though I did read quite a few of the Darkover books. Totally different beasts, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 12:16:30 PM PDT
Out of print but a great Camelot series:

In the Shadow of the Oak King
Witch of the North
A Prince in Camelot

An Arthurian trilogy that begins with the premise that people are gullible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 12:20:04 PM PDT
I'm glad it wasn't just me, then! :-)

I suppose I now ought to put the Darkover books on my TBR list ... <groan, the list just gets bigger and bigger>

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 12:20:35 PM PDT
Those look very interesting, ScottBooks. Thanks - I hadn't heard of them before.

A trilogy to track down, methinks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 1:41:46 PM PDT
T. Wageer says:
YES!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 4:40:11 AM PDT
"I suppose I now ought to put the Darkover books on my TBR list ... <groan, the list just gets bigger and bigger>"

Hehe, it will be ginormous if you put "the Darkover books" on it. I can't remember now how many there are, but it's a LOT!

If you're really interested, it's probably a good idea to investigate the world a little and focus on a subset of books that are about a subject or characters that sound interesting. The books as a whole span massive amounts of the planet's history and in general do not need to be read in order, either as written or in-world chronologically. Many books are completely stand-alone. Others are part of two or three book mini-series within the larger series as a whole, and those should be read in order.

This wikipedia article is a good way to decide where to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkover_series

This one is just interesting reading about the planet and includes a neat map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkover

My goal is to one day read all the books, but I've been waiting to start on the project since a lot of them are not in ebook editions yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 5:16:46 AM PDT
Thanks, Robin.

I've been pondering Darkover, but didn't have a clue where to start.

But now I need to investigate 'Whispers undergound' ( sorry, the link keeps arriving in a silly place) to see if it's as good as the preceeding two

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 8:39:48 PM PDT
Notey says:
Fifty Shades of whatever

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:10:33 PM PDT
Darkover has an interesting history. It started out a old-style space opera, then became dungeons&dragons medieval in space, then later more "hard" SF.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 1:14:47 AM PDT
Sorry, Robin, this thread has only just come back to light, and I never saw this response of yours.

I'm in a real hurry right now, so just wanted to acknowledge the info, and thanks for the links. I shall certainly investigate - but it might be a while before I do so!

Posted on Jul 12, 2013 4:55:19 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 12, 2013 4:55:30 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions