Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

How Often Do You Buy Book #2?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-98 of 98 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 2:30:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 2:31:34 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
G., you should keep track of the Discounted/Priced Dropped Kindle Books thread on the Kindle Forum. There are some big 6 publishers, particularly Harper Collins and Hachette (with Macmillan being decent at it as well) that make it a point of offering many books for 0.99 or 1.99--often it's the first of a series.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=374&cdThread=Tx1LK8SYLEDT8B5#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Posted on May 22, 2012 3:43:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 23, 2012 1:48:03 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 4:37:29 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
Well, first you definitely need to start toward the end of the thread. Remember, a lot of those other pages contain expired deals.

As for filtering, there isn't any way. However, the purpose of the thread is to note price dropped trad pubbed boooks (though some people do try to slip indie books in there). Additionally, some posters make it a point to note the publishers for the book they are mentioning.

If anything, it's worth peaking in daily. I've gotten some great Big 6 deals that way.

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:43:16 PM PDT
Back to the original question: according to my husband too often.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 5:20:03 PM PDT
R.J. Dennis says:
If the characters and plot are good, despite bad writing, I'll buy the second book in a series. If the writing is just as bad or worse than the first, I won't bother to continue. As a writer and a reader, I feel if an author can't improve their craft, I'm not going to continue to waste my money and time reading their stuff. It's too jarring to my eyes and brain when I have to re-read something a few times to understand what the author was trying to talk about or being taken out of the story completely by bad writing. Grammar problems from an indie author I can forgive (although still jarring). Bad writing from book to book by any author will lose me as a reader.

Like a few others on this thread, I mostly read series books. Every author I have ever read who writes a series, no matter how it was published, has a book that just misses the mark. I expect this and forgive and wait for their next book. Often times in a series, the second one is better than the first. The first book got out all or most of the back-story, who the characters are, and what we can expect for the series, thus the second book can do away with much of the "boring" parts and get to the heart of the series.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 1:47:08 AM PDT
G. says:
Thanks CLS10! I guess I didn't realize it was mostly trade pubs. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 2:58:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 3:00:19 AM PDT
Cphe says:
Hi G and Robin - Yes this is a series that I'm going to keep following.
I know that some readers seemed drawn to certain books in the KMM series - and thought they were stronger than others.
But to me they were just so good - my time and money well spent. I know that I paid top dollar for Shadowfever but I was so completely hooked by then that I didn't even "blink".
I couldn't get my index finger to the "buy it now" button quick enough!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:43:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 8:21:21 AM PDT
Yes, I often get the free books but not as much as I used to. When I started, if it was free, it was for me but I ended up with a great deal of junk that was not worth the electrons that splattered my screen. Now I have a method. The description must be just that. A description that tells me about the book. Not a ton of fake or paid reviews that say nothing. It must not go on and on about the author. Just the book. It must make some kind of sense and be of some interest to me. Then I get the book. If it is junk I will not try the next in the series because if it is bad I will not care about the characters, story ending or any thing else.
If it is kinda interesting, has a passable character or a good story line I want to see continue then I will give .99 cents to see if it is better. I do believe that many people honestly want to tell a story and get it out there. Most of those have not had fancy courses and are learning by sweat and that is okay with me and I will support honest work. Slam it together to try to make money for garbage and you lose me.
That is pretty much the same way I did DTB's, If good I would buy more and if bad I would not even take a freebie of the same author.
To Serve Man A Blackwidows' Cookbook
How To Write And Convert Your Book For Amazon And Smashwords With Word Or Open Office The Easy Way

Posted on May 23, 2012 8:03:15 AM PDT
Coach D says:
Father Simon, you had me for a second. I clicked on your link to "To Serve Man" thinking it might be about that classic Twight Zone episode of aliens coming to earth. They had a book called "To Serve Man". The aliens helped us out, cured diseases and promoted world peace. They then offered to take humans back to their planet. Life was good until someone was able to break their code and realized that "To Serve Man" was a cook book indeed (as in how to prepare and cook humans).

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:20:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 8:22:00 AM PDT
I used to lie on the floor with my feet right at the TV and watch it every week. It is a nod to that episode :) I am glad others remember it. Then there were a few other good ones, One Step Beyond and outher limits. There is a sub title to the book, The Blackwidows' Cookbook. Feed hubby often enough from the bad for you and he croaks and she collects the insurance. :)
There is also another book out there by the same name which is recipes for cooking people. ( not my book )
Just for you I edited my post to include the subtitle. :)

Posted on May 23, 2012 3:50:56 PM PDT
I really appreciate it when the first book in a series is either free or cheap, because that gives me the chance to taste the writing and see if I'll like it or not. If I do, then I'll usually go on to purchase the rest of the series and maybe even other books by the same author. If I don't like it, then I know what to avoid in the future.

There have been a few times when I discovered really good stories this way. I wish more authors and publishers would do the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 3:58:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 4:01:52 PM PDT
Miss M says:
G.,
I would def second the Discount thread recommendation. Think they have over 800+ thread subscribers, so any self-pub posts quickly get voted out of existence, and most never try in the first place. If you're an author you do not want to p off the folks in that thread.

Two other places I use for trad-pub price drops are the ereaderiq pricewatch page (on this one self-pubs do get listed, but also all the trad-pub price drops so it's mixed) and also the mobileread forum deals threads (mobileread has a separate section for self-promo, so the mods are good about policing the rest of the forum.)

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

ETA: on the mobileread thread there are a couple of folks who are like bloodhounds in tracking the deals on books that were formerly trad-pubbed and now self-pubbed, so not all recommendations are for current trad-pubs. Hope that makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 3:29:26 AM PDT
Well, my budget doesn't seem to think they're sparse! But a lot of the specials I've bought haven't actually been series I guess. And I think you're right that there have been a lot fewer UF offerings.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 3:37:06 AM PDT
"They may very well be trying to separate themselves from the indies. It's a decision that could backfire, but when the biggest draw you have is your reputation for quality, I can see why it might be worth trying."

Except, publishers started doing that before self-pubbers could offer theirs for free. (Even before it could be manipulated by making the book free on another site to get Amazon to price match.) I honestly think they experimented and found that if they offered the books for a really low price instead of free they had just as many follow-up purchases and they and the authors still make a little money also. I suspect that by attaching a price tag they eliminated most of the download-almost-anything-free people and focused in on people who are interested enough to make a small investment. In other words, the people most likely to pay for more books if they like the first one. Since the majority of self-published books are priced $2.99 and under the sale books aren't being separated from them at all.

Posted on May 24, 2012 8:05:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 8:07:50 AM PDT
Coach D says:
More example of me buying the 2nd book in a series:

Yesterday's Gone: Season One by Sean Platt and David Wright. I read the 1st two episodes and then went out and bought the whole season.

Ditto for Double Barrel: Episode 1 (Zombie Thriller Series) by Grey West. I read the first book, got hooked and then picked up episodes 3 to 6 as soon as they came out ($0.99).
a

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:31:21 AM PDT
Ms. P. says:
That's true. I'm sure there are thousands of free books downloaded every day that will NEVER even be read ... or if they are, a lot of those people wouldn't pay for another book. Ten or so legitimate sales that might happen from a promotion aren't worth it to a big publisher.

Still worth trying for most indies, though. :)

Posted on May 27, 2012 9:11:08 PM PDT
Aerin says:
Concerning the original thread, I am deeply grateful for the 0.99 books. I have a limited budget (who doesn't?) and I hesitate to spend 9.99 or (horrors!) 14.99 on an author I've never read, even if it does look interesting. But at 0.99, I can buy it, read it, and if I like it, I'll buy the rest, as long as they're under $10! I have to really love a series to go higher.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:24:12 PM PDT
Aerin says:
Hi Linda: If I truly like the first book of a series, I will buy the second, usually as soon as it comes out (unless the price is exorbitant). But I have to truly like the book.

What makes me buy a book by an author I don't know is usually one, low priced book that I like or recommendations by people I've come to trust on one of the forums. Thus I bought J. R. Rains because the first book was so cheap and then went on to buy several more at a higher price and I went on with the Dresden series (Jim Burcher) even though I wasn't impresed with the first book and now I have read 11 and will continue to the end. But that first, low priced book can be the teaser that gets me as a permanent customer; it is hard to invest $10 or $15 in an author I've never heard of and know nothing about.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:28:08 PM PDT
Aerin says:
If I liked that first - free - book, I will keep an eye on Amazon, looking up that author occasionally until another book comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:31:38 PM PDT
Aerin says:
>>My (possibly incorrect!) conclusion? People are not going to bother with the second book in a series if they haven't read, or didn't like, the first book (even if the second book is free), but if they enjoyed the first book, they'll pay for the second. <<

I think you are entirely correct. Certainly that is how I look at it as a reader. If the first book is expensive I will hesitate to "buy" a free
second book since I will have to buy book 1 first.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 7:37:11 AM PDT
G. says:
Thanks Miss M. I am now an avid watcher of that discount thread and have already purchased a couple of the "deals". Very awesome thread.

I will wander over to MR and check it out. Thanks :).

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 7:39:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2012 7:40:40 AM PDT
G. says:
I think my problem was that I was so used to the "free book thread" having a bunch of trade pub offerings and didn't think to look anywhere else? That Discounted/Priced Dropped Kindle Books thread has really opened my eyes (and my wallet)!

ETA: a letter.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 12:47:33 AM PDT
Linda Gruchy says:
Thanks Aerin, that's good to know.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  44
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  May 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions