Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Beaut ifully Behaving Authors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 188 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 24, 2012 10:59:32 AM PDT
Mary, lots of us authors want to engage in sensible discussion ( with a lot of laughs and banter on the side) and we get cheesed off with all the spam as well.

Unfortunately the spam merchants have tarred us all with the same brush in the eyes of many readers.

Posted on May 24, 2012 11:02:03 AM PDT
Anna, I have a writing friend who teaches: her kids love her because she always teaches her class how to use a Light sabre properly.

Who says teachers do not pass vital skills on to our young???

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:10:45 AM PDT
Jim Webster says:
My late mother taught under eights and loved it.
My sister and sundry female cousins are teachers as well

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:21:03 AM PDT
Sorry, I think I gave you a little too much hope. There aren't that many discussion threads, unfortunately. There was an interesting one on the writing process, but that's died a natural death.

I actually started a few threads there, some because they were here and shouldn't have been, and some because the topic interested me. Sadly, you are right that the topic discussions don't last that long.

I like this discussion because I like Michael and his idea of consolidating all the genres and promotions in one place, so I chat occasionally there and help bump that thread and the similar one here.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg90?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdPage=90&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx36ZNWSEBFXG5S

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:21:24 AM PDT
MRM says:
I've been a high school English Lit. teacher (for ages 15 - 18) for 24 years now. I'm also certified to teach Russian and studied in the former USSR...but it's been so long that I'd need a brush-up course in order to teach the language, LOL. Teaching does, however, keep you young IMO.

I have to hand it to you, though, Anna...I don't know if I could keep a class of 20+ first graders on task and interested all day long. I'd rather have my 100+ teenagers for six periods a day, 46 minutes at a pop. I guess it's a good thing that teachers can choose their certification area for that very reason. :)

--MRM

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:21:57 AM PDT
It is kind of funny when authors get irritated with self promo on discussion threads in MOA. At least they finally understand what customers here were feeling.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:23:23 AM PDT
I just had a student give me a note that said, "I like this class because of you. You make this class fun!"

That just made my day. There is no reason that learning can't be fun.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:29:33 AM PDT
Dead right!

Hope you got an apple, too. our teachers in the Uk are usually too poorly paid to afford fruit.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:29:36 AM PDT
MRM says:
Yes...the only problem is that the authors getting irritated on those MOA discussion threads are probably not the ones who were self-promoting (or ever would have) over here. ;)

I remember a time when authors could converse and "mingle" as it were on all discussion threads, and if a topic came up that was apropos to something the author had written, it could be brought up - an author could answer direct questions about his/her work - etc etc, and it was all very natural and interesting. Then it got crazy with the self-promos and I stopped visiting the boards altogether for a long time. I only ventured back once the MOA was created, but that's been not much help, and what I used to love about the other forums has pretty much faded away. Necessary, yes, but unfortunate, as the "feel" of the forums is different.

C'est la vie! (which is pretty much the extent of any French I know, LOL).

--MRM

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:32:10 AM PDT
Jim Webster says:
you've been talking to my family again!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 11:56:26 AM PDT
I don't get a pay slip at the end of the month, Will ... I get an invoice ...

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 12:02:36 PM PDT
Your family are very formal, Marcus. My lot settle for nicking the money.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 12:09:26 PM PDT
That's because I was brought up in the Home Counties, Will. My ancestors nicked all the money in the 12th century ...

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 1:14:01 PM PDT
>>Yes...the only problem is that the authors getting irritated on those MOA discussion threads are probably not the ones who were self-promoting (or ever would have) over here.<<

I do agree with you! The ones who need to understand, don't pay attention or don't care. The ones who care, don't need to pay attention but still do.

C'est la vie is right!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 8:14:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 2, 2012 8:14:41 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 9:46:33 AM PDT
I think I'll lurk around here for a bit - refreshing to see a forum about well-behaved authors. I've just started reading the forums and contributing (against my publisher's request) to find out what people are really reading and discussing other than "50 Shades of Grey" and pretty much every author I've encountered seems to behave. I will have to start reading more fantasy, though, because the authors sound like people I'd have a drink with - as well as many posters here. G, I saw your comment about people 'down-voting' this forum? Sad...and they wonder why authors behave badly in other forums....

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 9:49:15 AM PDT
Hello again, can someone tell me what a DVF is? Saw that on another forum - a not-so-nice forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 10:20:46 AM PDT
DVF - down vote fairy - there are certain individuals on the forum that no matter what they say get down-votes...it could be something as simple as today is an awesome day

the DVF usually visits at night while we are all sleeping to downvote

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 10:32:27 AM PDT
The down voting happens in almost all forums. It doesn't matter if you're an author or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 10:54:23 AM PDT
Jim Webster says:
you see less of it on the .co.uk forums

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 11:47:12 AM PDT
But it certainly seems to attract him/her/them/it.

Or, alternatively, I am amazingly attractive to them.

In which case, I can only hope that it is a 'her'.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 12:56:44 PM PDT
P. S. Wright says:
I'm the upvote fairy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 1:36:50 PM PDT
Well, Anna, anyone who is named "Welcome to My Castle," must have the gift to make learning fun. And by the way, what is the name of your castle? : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 1:40:06 PM PDT
Will, I'm with you on this. My feeling is that if spammers and drive-by authors want to promote their work in forum, let them get a Facebook page, Twitter, a WordPress blog. Works for most of us and then we don't get up peoples' noses for promoting our books on psychic cats in the midst of a discussion on Team Peeta or Team Gale.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 1:43:36 PM PDT
Anna and Deanna, thanks. I couldn't imagine having fun down-voting. Wondering if we need to put anything under our pillows at night to keep the DVFs from visiting...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  188
Initial post:  May 21, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions