Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Announcement

Welcome to the Kindle Books forum !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1576-1600 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 9:09:10 PM PDT
Beloved T. says:
You noticed that too?! Thank you for sharing cause as a new comer I noticed that this is happening A LOT.. so I am more selective in the advice/ tips that are being provided.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 12:56:49 PM PDT
Heidi M says:
I am having trouble with Kindle's lending library with my Prime membership. Books that show as being available in the library aren't actually available when I click on them. Is anyone else having this problem?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:02:09 PM PDT
J. Jones says:
Not exactly the same problem. I have a wireless connection with my Kindle and have been able in the past to obtain books from my local library wirelessly. Recently I found that any books in my library MUST be downloaded using a USB connection, which I find cumbersome. The pop-up explains that is at the request of the publishers of books. Is this because of the fuss about the collusion of Apple and the publishers?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:02:52 PM PDT
AmeliaAT says:
Have you already borrowed a book during April? If you have, then the books will not be available. Also, if books leave the KOLL (their publisher removes them from the program), it's conceivable that they'll show up in a search of the Amazon site but won't be available when borrowing via a Kindle from the Kindle store.

Books may be borrowed at a maximum of one per month. So if you borrow one in March, you can borrow another in April, but even if you finish the book early, you can't borrow the next one until May.

You can keep any loan as long as you like, but as soon as you borrow another one, the previous loan is returned.

Also, and I presume you are doing this, the books can only be borrowed directly from a Kindle device on the Kindle store (not an app or via the webpage on a computer).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:09:46 PM PDT
J. Jones says:
No, I have not borrowed any Library books for about 2 months. Short of cash so I thought I would borrow a Library book. (J.D. Robb) fav author.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 12:23:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 1:19:15 PM PDT
Miss M says:
Hi J. Jones - Amelia was responding to another poster's question (check the "in reply to an earlier post" link in top right corner.)

Re your USB library download question - Penguin Publishing are the ones who require this now, as of mid-February. Five out of the 6 Big 6 Publishers either do not allow, or allow only with restrictions, their e-books for sale to libraries. In February Penguin made the switch to USB transfer for their existing titles and also announced they would not provide further ebooks for sale to libraries.

ETA: there's no one answer to the reasoning behind this, but in general the large publishers do not appear to be in favor of having their books available through public libraries. As a result of the legally settled "First Sale" doctrine, they have little control over their paper books being used, but the switch to digital format has given them a new say in the matter. The fact that the major company in the US that handles library transfers, Overdrive, funnels the kindle-format library loans through the amazon computers also doesn't help -- given the antagonistic relationships that seem to exist between the large publishers and amazon.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 4:21:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 23, 2012 4:21:39 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 1:09:35 AM PDT
Mr J Wray says:
Why is that The kindle is so expensive in the UK and amazon refuse you the option to buy from the us site

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 7:10:15 AM PDT
J. Jones says:
I am talking about my "physical local library" I know I can only download 1 book per month from Amazon but I can get 7 books per month down loaded from my "local" library.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 7:52:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 7:53:15 AM PDT
Penn Hackney says:
Where is online info about "borrowing" books for my Kindle? From libraries and from Amazon. And are there other sources?

I do not have an Amazon Prime membership -- if the borroring from Amazon only available for Prime members?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 9:00:45 AM PDT
jaime oss says:
My daughter started using mine at 9 yrs old. She's very smart, but didn't read often until she discovered an author she liked and could access it on my kindle. I finally got her a smart phone so that she would stop borrowing my kindle. She's 11 now and she reads every night. I highly recommend a kindle for reading at any age.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 9:14:50 AM PDT
Miss M says:
The Amazon lending is available only as a side-benefit of the $79 annual Prime membership - you may borrow no more than one book per calendar month.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000739811

Public library e-borrowing information can be found from your local library's website, or check out Overdrive.com to search by zipcode for the eligible libraries in your area.

Other posters have listed that the Free Library of Philadelphia allows an on-line purchase of membership ($35), after which you can check out their e-books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 12:08:39 PM PDT
Penn Hackney says:
Thank you! That is exactly what I neede to know.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 1:23:29 AM PDT
chrisam says:
Help me please'
I want to talk about Dostoyevsky. Is there anyone out there who shares my interest in the greatest novelist of all time?
Chris

Posted on May 6, 2012 5:09:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 6, 2012 6:56:10 AM PDT]

Posted on May 6, 2012 8:24:22 PM PDT
chrisam says:
Thank you for your kindness, Teflon Tina.

Posted on May 6, 2012 8:25:00 PM PDT
chrisam says:

Posted on May 6, 2012 8:25:20 PM PDT
chrisam says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 10:26:41 PM PDT
Desert Dani says:
My 8 year old has just started using it to read A Series of Unfortunate Events. He devours chapter books and we have gotten tons on the Kindle, so I know my son will be using it from now on. We can also download audible books that all the kids love (Dr. Seuss is their favorite now). My 5 year old twins love the audible books and we have found some picture books as well. When we travel, we find the Kindle is a great little device to take with us. We also take a tablet computer and a few MP3 players to keep us all entertained.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 10:35:38 PM PDT
I'm a teacher, Desert Dani, as it sure is nice to hear that your kids love reading so much!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 8:42:42 AM PDT
T. Nash says:
Do a search for kindle direct publishing (KDP), and read the FAQs. Good luck.
Your reply to T. Nash's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 3:03:51 PM PDT
sophie says:
it's very easy in the end. I put it off because I was scared of the process but it explains everything to you. Just devote two or three hours to it and you'll be fine. Google Amazon kindle publishing and everything you need to know can be found

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 3:05:52 PM PDT
sophie says:
why did they suspend it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 3:11:01 PM PDT
sophie says:
As an author I certainly hope it's a pipe dream-how do you think writers can live if everyone returns their books once they've read them

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 3:33:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 13, 2012 6:41:07 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  628
Total posts:  1949
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 74 customers

Search Customer Discussions