Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

How to recover lost notes and marks from myclippings.txt

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2011 7:07:37 AM PDT
Hello,
When reading an Amazon ebook, I took a lot of notes and made highlights and bookmarks. I have gone back to them several times as they content important information to me. Yesterday I went back to the book and suddenly there were only a bookmark left. All the other notes, highlights and bookmarks have dissappeared.

All this notes are still in the myclippings.txt file, but I can not access them from the book in my Kindle.

Any idea on why did this happened?

Is there any way to recover the notes when reading the book in the Kindle, from the myclippings file.

Thank you very much

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 7:08:34 PM PDT
Had the same thing happen to me today. Everything is in myclippings.txt file, but I'm still trying to figure out how to access them.

Posted on Sep 25, 2011 3:58:36 PM PDT
I still haven't find out how to solve it :-(
Any idea???

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2011 4:23:50 PM PDT
Gpamelac says:
You should copy your clipping file to a folder on your computer for backup on a daily or weekly basis
so you have all important notes backed up.

You need to attach your kindle to your PC by the USB Cable.
You then need to go to your kindle drive/documents folder and find
the actual myclippings.txt file.
You then copy the file to your pc.

If you save the myclippings.txt to your computer you can rename the file and then sending the renamed file to your kindle email addy as a personal doc.

Each time you delete the myclippings item from the kindle homepage
It regenerates a new blank file for more notes and deletes all previous notes.

The myclipping.txt only holds so much content before it is full
which is why you should save or copy the myclippings.txt to your computer
weekly or monthly at least if you have important notes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 5:30:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 4, 2011 5:31:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 5:31:30 AM PDT
Hello, and thanks.

I have not lost the myclippings.txt. I have a backup and al the notes and bookmarks are there.

The problem is that all these notes, highlights and marks have dissapeared in the book itself. It is not very useful to go to the myclippings file to see the notes and then go back to the book to look for the location. I wonder if there is any way to include again all this notes, highlights and marks to the book itself (but not by hand of course!).

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 2:41:53 AM PST
Did you solve this problem? I have the exact same issue. Everything is on the .txt file, but it doesn't seem to be related to the book anymore. Some books have kept it, some books have not.
Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 3:11:12 AM PST
No I haven't. It is really frustrating not having any help on this Kindle malfunction.
Please share any help you get.
Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 6:26:08 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Hi! Have you tried deleting the file then syncing your Kindle? (Back up the file first, of course.) It could be that syncing would restore the file in a way that would be readable to your Kindle.

If that doesn't work, and you haven't contacted Kindle CS yet about the issue, I would do that. It's been over two months since your original report of the problem, so it seems time to contact them.

If they have a solution for you, I hope you post it here! :-)

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 5:18:49 AM PST
I hate technology... I lost all my highlights and have a paper due what am I suppose to do now

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:56:45 AM PST
A. Zelinka says:
Hi,
the myclippings.txt is a just an export of the notes & highlight. AFAIK kindle doesn't use it for displaying annotations. What you need is the 'mbp' file. If you connect your kindle via USB and check the documents folder, you'll see that there's more than one file for each book:

mobi/azw - the actual book

mbp - metadata like notes, highlights, bookmarks and last-page-read pointer

apnx - mapping of the real page numbers (from paper version) to ebook page numbers

So all you need to do is to restore the particular mbp file from backup and you'll have your notes back.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 12:15:53 AM PST
At least some light on this issue. Thanks!
No I can understand better how it works.
The problem is that it was so much time ago that I do not have the mbp file anymore. I wonder if there is any way to restore the mbp file from the myclippings.txt file. I have a "clean" version of myclippings file including only the lost book notes, but I cannot manage to export them in the mbp file again. I opened the mbp file with notepad but I could not figure out how it works.
Thanks,
Aurelio

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 1:17:30 PM PDT
DEAN GORDON says:
I had the same problem with a book. I went to the book on the carousel and told the Kindle to delete it (NOT remove it from the carousel). the book remained on the carousel with a small "down" arrow in the lower right corner of the book. I hit the arrow to download it again and when i next opened the book up, all my marks had returned.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 9:24:14 AM PDT
A. Price says:
I just did exactly what Dean Gordon said...go to Carousel> Delete from Device. The book was still in the Carousel with a down arrow icon. Hit the down arrow and the book reloaded with everything in tact. Thanks so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 8:08:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2012 9:25:02 PM PDT
I did the same thing,OMG it reall worked!Now I have all my notes and highlights back.Thank you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 10:11:43 PM PDT
Thanks. That did the trick!

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 10:54:47 PM PDT
T. Coburn says:
Dean Gordon's suggestion worked for me as well. Thanks so MUCH!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:57:28 PM PST
Thank you, Thank You Dean Gordon. It worked beautifully.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 8:40:56 AM PST
Dean's solution worked great! I'm still mad about the fact that I lost all my notes in the first place... back to paper books for me!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 6:55:00 PM PST
Thanks Dean I thank you and my son Thanks You. You just made his day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:58:30 PM PST
ElTavan says:
Thanks Dean for the right solution!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:36:03 AM PST
MG says:
Thank you!!! Worked like a charm!

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 11:25:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2013 11:27:05 AM PST
Brian says:
OK Guys/Gals,
With respect to Highlights and bookmarks, I can not locate, either on the Kindle Fire or via USB on my PC any such files. No "myclippings.txt or *.mbp files exist. Kindle Fire is Key here I suppose.

I would like to save the highlights/notes and delete the book from the kindle. There are both amazon purchased books and free .mobi books I'd like to save these notes from.

"There should be an App for this."

...to save this information in a .txt file in the documents folder or to the PC.

Can anyone help?

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 5:05:04 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 17, 2013 5:05:46 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:01:25 PM PST
Thanks. I'll try this. Does the Kindlefire need to be online to download again? This happens a few times while I'm reading a book. I don't have wifi so downloading often would not be convenient. Is there anything that I can do to prevent the Kindle from erasing my notes and bookmarks in the first place? Is there an update that I can't find?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2011
Latest post:  May 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions