Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback
Customer Discussions > Kindle Book forum

Ebookr.com - anyone know anything about this site

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2012 11:08:27 AM PST
M. Adkins says:
Does anyone know anything about the site Ebookr.com??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 11:21:04 AM PST
CLS10 says:
Scam. They seem to have in copyright books for illegal download. Honestly, if you plan to go that route anyway, you don't need to pay a third party for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 11:33:37 AM PST
M. Adkins says:
I am sooo new at all of this - I do not want to do anything illegal. I joined but cancelled after a day as I could not download then read something about them being a scam. Geez - guess I am just a dumb granny!!! Guess I will stick to Amazon and my library!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 4:23:06 PM PST
If they ask you to pay a fee for unlimited downloads, it's a scam. There are, however, MANY sites where you can get free books other than Amazon, legally. Check out this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Million-Kindle-books-available-now/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/Tx15UAKRX5252A/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000FI73MA

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 4:36:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2012 4:36:38 PM PST
M. Adkins says:
I am just so new to all of this and did not know - have limited income but love to read so just thought that would be a good thing. Kind of particular about what I read. Now, I am concerned that I gave them my cc number. ugh!!

Thank you for your reply and the link - I will explore this thoroughly!!! thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 5:08:41 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Here is a site that has books that are completely free (free of copyright and free of charge) in the United States, so you can't go wrong here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

All of their books are legal to download in the U.S. They've been around for ages and their books are very well formatted and proofread.

If you want to use your Kindle's browser to download the Kindle/mobi version directly to your Kindle, you can use the following url: http://m.gutenberg.org/

You can even browse by topic (mystery, history, science fiction, etc.) and by most popular downloads. I've gotten a lot of really good books through them. I even find the mobile version of the site to be really easy to use & the books download very quickly -- within seconds. I have probably 300 books that I've gotten from there. (It's also one of the sites recommended by Amazon.)

There are legitimate sites that have free and discounted ebooks, but you are certainly right to be wary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 6:28:11 PM PST
Studio Su says:
M. Adkins, there are several places to get info on free and cheap e-books. ereaderiq.com and dailycheapreads.com are two of my favorites. Also, in the Kindle Forum you will find a daily Thread about free books. Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 6:15:36 AM PST
M. Adkins says:
Thank all of you for the feedback -I truly appreciate each one and will definitely check out each site!!! Thank you again. Also, learned more about ebooks and how they "kind of" work!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 12:44:25 PM PST
King Al says:
You should keep a close tab on your cc account. It is quite possible that they have sold your cc number to other criminals and/or are using it themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 1:42:50 PM PST
M. Adkins says:
I decided to block my cc until I can find out for sure what to do!!! I am truly not a dummy like it sounds - just new to the ebook world!!!! Had no idea that what they were saying they were doing was probably unlawful! Thanks to all of you!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:23:53 AM PST
Mheil says:
If you have a kindle go to the "ereader news today" they have a number of free books on a adily basis. Some look good, others not so much. But they are free and legal

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:31:37 AM PST
M. Adkins says:
Thanks!! Once I found out those type of sites were bogus I blocked my cc -got a new one and found the free sites!!! Sure did not know about those type of sites as I had just gotten my Kindle!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Also, I can use my local library and even buy some books!! Thanks again!

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 12:14:17 PM PST
Sarah Glenn says:
Thanks for the heads-up. I discovered MY book for sale there, and have contacted my publisher about it.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 12:54:54 PM PST
My sister writes the royal blook chronicles series and she just found 3 or her six books for download on this site. They have done this without permission on copyrighted books. We have notified them to cease and desist, is there anything else that can be done?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 3:40:58 PM PST
AmeliaAT says:
Here is a page with directions on reporting stolen copyrighted material to the major search engines. Yahoo, Google, and others, have different methods for reporting DMCA violations. Take a look at it -- good, complete information.

http://www.seologic.com/faq/dmca-notifications

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 10:50:22 PM PST
Lanie Jordan says:
I can tell you that, while it may not be a scam (I don't know with any certainty), they have some copyrighted materials on their site that they do NOT have the rights for--including a story of mine and some from other authors I know.

I'd avoid them at all costs.

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 12:04:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2012 12:08:33 PM PST
I love Project Gutenberg and other public domain free download sites but most people don't want to read mostly old, out-of-copyright books which is all you'll find on these sites. However, one of the great things about the ebook revolution is that authors can easily self-publish their ebooks and sell them at reasonable prices and still make money since they receive up to 70% of the sales price. Also, many of them will offer some of their books for free or for very low prices in order to attract new readers.

Here's the easiest way to find great, inexpensive new releases for your Kindle. Go to the Amazon Kindle Book main webpage. On the right side of the page at the top will be a Kindle Daily Deal at a bargain price. Click on it to see if it's something you're interested in. I buy quite a few of them. Below the Daily Deal, you'll see a link for 100 Kindle books for $3.99 or less. A lot of them are quite good. Next, below the link to the $3.99 or less books, there will be a list of both free and paid Kindle bestsellers. Click on the link there that says "Kindle Store: Kindle Books". It will take you to a two column list of the top 100 paid and free overall bestsellers, updated every hour. Scroll down the list as far as you want. I usually just check the first two pages (the top 40).

Then look at the upper left of the page and you'll see that you can also browse for best sellers by category/genre. For example you can browse for Mystery & Thriller, Romance, etc. Once you click on a category, you'll see that you can further refine it to look for sub-categories.

Also, at the top of each page, there are three tabs that allow you to look for either bestsellers, past best sellers or hot new releases. By clicking on the books, you can read the description and reviews.

I've found a lot of great books for free and if you're willing to pay a couple or three dollars, you'll find a lot more. Before buying, you can even download free samples if you wish. Unless you're a very picky reader, you'll find plenty to read using this method and will stay within almost any budget range you choose.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 11:19:14 AM PST
BeverleeC says:
For tons of free Kindle books every day go to THIS site:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?tab=wm#inbox/1352e23ed71f5b27

This is a great site; everyday there are new books, 100s of them. Subscribe to their site and they will send you the list every day. You can tailor it to suit your preferences. This one is NOT A SCAM, but a truly REAL and great place for free books.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 1:35:33 AM PST
P. Murrell says:
I have actually subscribed to ebook and the books are in great format like a regular book. they only thiing is now I can't unsubscribe so I have to find a way for them to stop charging me

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 1:12:45 PM PST
Mr. D. Dixon says:
At the bottom of the home page you can find a "contact us" link. Use this and it will open a dialogue box in which you can send a message cancelling you account and withdrawing authority to take further payments. I suggest that you also aldvise your credit card provider of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 1:16:50 PM PST
M. Adkins says:
I changed my CC. Since this really is not an honest business I felt I should not trust my CC number either. So got a new CC and learned a good lesson!!!

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 9:58:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2012 9:59:02 AM PST
Rick G says:
There's a forum about this site over on Kindle Boards. Apparently they scrape usenet (a bastion of fine, upstanding legal content, if ever there was one :) for their content. Supposedly they're DMCA friendly and will accept takedown notices. However, I personally wouldn't put a CC in their hands.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 10:03:17 PM PST
In my humble opinion, one reason sites such as ebookr persist is that Amazon's rules for sharing ebooks are so darn draconian. If I buy a paper book, I can lend it to my sister, to my friend, etc. If I buy a kindle book, there are severe limits on how I can lend it. Most of the free books I found were thinly disguised Christian propaganda or so poorly done they are unsalable anyway. If Amazon charged a reasonable price, --less than $7 say--I wouldn't complain, but the Kindle book is often more costly than the paperback. Initially they were supposed to be $10 or less. Now they are often $14 or $15. Stupid. That's the kind of greedy marketing that encourages sites like ebookr.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 10:09:16 PM PST
The publishers control prices and the lending rules. Google "agency model".

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 7:23:46 PM PDT
Frank Tuttle says:
Many of the ebook scam sites (and yes, ebookr.com is selling books illegally, no matter how much they bleat to the contrary) are actually run by Russian identity thieves.

So it's perfectly safe to give them your credit card information. What could possibly go wrong?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Book forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Book forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions