Customer Discussions > Kindle Help Forum

Kindle keeps rebooting

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2011 4:24:09 PM PST
I have had my kindle for about 6 months and now it keeps rebooting, it has done it about 10 times today, as well as keeps getting frozen and when it finally reboots (again) my page is lost and i have to scroll through to get to my page, does anyone have any suggestions or if there is something that i could do to get this fixed.

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 4:35:36 PM PST
Hello Alyssa,

Because your issue is related to a specific device, we would like to speak with you over the phone to provide personalized support.

You can reach us by phone directly and toll free from many countries by clicking the Contact Us option in the right-hand column of our Kindle Support pages at: http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

When you visit our website and select Contact Us, click on the "Phone" tab, enter your number, and we'll call you right back. If your country isn't listed or you're unable to take advantage of the Contact Us feature, you can call us directly at 1-866-321-8851 or 1-206-266-0927.

Best regards,
Cody S.

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 4:42:15 PM PST
C. S. Jones says:
If it the current generation Kindle and you have it in the Amazon unlighted cover with the metal clips try taking it out of the cover and see if that clears the problem up. If it does customer support can probably refund you for the cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 4:47:22 PM PST
Thanks for the info, it actually started when I took my case off, I had a soft cover case but I bought a skin so I didn't need a case, I followed all the troubleshooting stuff and it is still doing it. I have a call into customer service so hopefully it will be resolved soon, because I am love my Kindle and I hate that it is not working

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 4:48:28 PM PST
Stephz says:
I'm also having the same problem. Started today, as well.

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 5:03:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2011 5:05:26 PM PST
Carole says:
I've begun having this issue as well. 3 times over the past week my kindle just shut down, rebooted and then my page was lost.

Another issue (related or not?) that began today. I purchased a new book to transfer via usb cable. Normally when I plug the cable in 3 things happen. The familiar "clunk" sound indicating the Kindle has been plugged in, the display that says "if you'd like to continue reading or shopping unplug the usb cable" did not appear, and the "J" drive (Kindle locatin) did not automatically open. The book transferred to my computer fine, but I can't upload to my kindle

I unplugged the usb cable from the computer and into the wall and now my kindle isn't charging. Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 5:16:56 PM PST
This has started happening to me also,Kindle in cover and has had no damage to it. I have had my Kindle set up for about 1 month.
I emailed Amazon about it last night and they responded back to call the technical support number. Amazon did not give the Tech. support phone number for me to call.
But, I am going to get the phone number and call as the more I read many people have had the same issue.
Hope you get the tech support.
Your reply to debra a. fortney's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 5:20:00 PM PST
I have to say i used the contact us, i put my number in and they called me immediatly. I was super surprised when this happened. i have now done all the troubleshooting and the upgrade to my software and it is still happening, they need to replace the kindle.

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 5:21:31 PM PST
The cover is causing the problem. Take the Kindle out of the cover, and contact CS about getting a refund for the cover. Click on HELP on any webpage, then KINDLE SUPPORT under the picture of the Kindle, then CONTACT US.

This isn't an issue requiring tech support. They know the cover is shorting out the Kindle and they stopped selling it this week.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 5:22:19 PM PST
Thank you ! I am going to try it in the morning. I would like to travel with my Kindle tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2011 5:36:06 PM PST
I don't have a cover on it

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 5:38:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2011 5:39:22 PM PST
I guess that for you that isn't the answer then and they probably do need to replace it. But Debra probably has it in the cover with the hinge. She needs to talk take it out of the cover and get a refund.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 12:43:07 PM PST
GvlGirl says:
I, too, have started experiencing the same problem Alyssa described. But I've had my Kindle (with the same cover) for over a year, have ready many books on it and had never had this problem until yesterday. Given that I had not experienced any problems for over a year, can it still be the cover that's creating this isse that started yesterday?

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 2:08:38 PM PST
C. Porter says:
Had the same issue (not due to cover) and called the toll free number that Cody S. from Amazon posted above (1-866-321-8851). As you go through the phone choices it mentions that this type of problem can often be fixed by either (depends on the model of your Kindle): 1) sliding the power switch to the "Off" position and holding it there for a full 20 seconds; or 2) (for Kindle Fire and my new Kindle 3G Touch) pushing in power button and holding it for at least 20 seconds---after which you turn the Kindle back on. This fixed my problem.

I also spoke with the Tech--who was very helpful--who said that you need to slide the power switch (or hold it in) for 5-6 seconds to turn off the Kindle. If you just push it over ( or in) for a second or two, then the Kindle goes into "sleep" mode--but is not turned off. She said that being in sleep mode for a long time could cause this issue.

Hope this helps--it worked very quickly in resolving my issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 6:18:04 AM PST
GvlGirl says:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this when I get home tonight.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 6:45:56 AM PST
Saskie- says:
I have the same issue
I have no cover, and I can not move with my kindle
because it will immediately freeze

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 8:45:44 AM PST
Brian King says:
I have had my kindle a few days over one year, and I did purchase the cover with the hinge. I was having the problem the first couple of months that I owned it, and then it stopped for about six months. Then started doing it again a couple of months ago, it is now at the point where it is rebooting three to four times a day and loses my page, especially if I pick it up and carry anywhere. Last night it was frozen and would not respond even after I held down the power switch. I tried to plug it into the wall outlet and no charging light came on, then tried to plug it into the computer and computer would not recognize it. I did remove it from the case to see if there was a battery that could be removed and inserted, but finally tried one more time to hold down the power switch, and it finally came up. I will keep the cover off, it is a little concerning that I am almost sure that I ordered the cover with the hinge at the same time that I purchased my kindle, if the cover is a problem, I should have been contacted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 9:04:12 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
It was users on the other Kindle forum who first connected the K3 spontaneous reboots, freezing, and rapid battery depletion to the original non-lighted Kindle cover. Amazon eventually stopped selling the covers and designed a new one. I have two of those newly designed covers now and they are not causing any problems.

The covers didn't always exhibit the problem right away. Possibly, after the covering on the prongs wore away, that's when the problem started. For some people it was months to a year before they had a problem with their cover.

If you have determined that the cover is causing your problems, contact Kindle support. They might send you one of the new covers.

Click Help at the top of most Amazon pages
Click Kindle Help, Video tutorials & Tools
Click Contact us (right column)

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 1:47:27 PM PST
I had the same problem with my Kindle. It started a little over a year after I bought it and I was using the non-lighted cover. The problem continued even after taking it out of the cover, so I had to buy another Kindle. Hopefully the new one won't have these problems (I'm not using the old cover again). I just wish you could have all of your content filed back in the original collections. It's going to take forever to get everything back the way it was.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 10:23:24 PM PDT
Heather C. says:
I see this is an old forum but I recently started having problems with my kindle rebooting. I have the lighted case and have never had this problem. The interesting thing I find is I have 2 friends who also have the kindle keyboard who are having the same exact problem! This makes me question a software issue or is this simply amazons way of trying to get me to purchase one of the newer devices?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 9:11:31 AM PDT
Same problem here, just started a few days ago.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 4:43:22 PM PDT
joann polley says:
Mine started this a week ago last Sunday. I came here and read all the remarks. I removed the leather cover and saw a small amount of metal had worn through the varnish or whatever they used to cover the two links/clasps of the cover, and that is what probably what was causing it to short out. I got some electrical tape and with an exacto knife I cut a small piece to cover each of the clasps. It hasn't rebooted since.

Posted on Mar 28, 2013 10:36:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2013 10:36:47 AM PDT
D. D. Le says:
I had the exact same issue with my Kindle Keyboard model which I've had for 2+ years; I hadn't used it in a couple months and it would have trouble turning on, and when I turned it on, would keep on freezing and then restarting. I removed the Kindle from its leather case and now it's back to normal.

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 3:33:53 PM PDT
I am so pissed. My Kindle Touch has been rebooting over and over for days now. What the heck is wrong with this thing?

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 6:30:44 AM PDT
GvlGirl says:
I know what you mean. This has happened to me as well. I ended up contacting Amazon & they had me turn the kindle off completely (which takes holding the switch for something like 20 or 25 seconds) and turning it back on. After that, I did not have the problem for several months, but recently it's happened to me again a couple of times. Each time I noticed that the battery was run down pretty low. Issue is that I get no warning when the battery is low (like I get with my smartphone), so I'm stuck waiting until enough charge takes hold before I can use it again. Nionetheless, I find that as long as I keep my knidle charged, the rebooting problem seems to go away.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Help Forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions