Customer Discussions > Kindle Help Forum

Merge Accounts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2011 7:04:30 AM PDT
How do I merge two kindle accounts in one household which use the same credit card?

Posted on May 22, 2011 8:28:01 AM PDT
Call Kindle customer service, explain, ask real nice, and hope... but good luck with that...

Posted on May 22, 2011 11:05:17 AM PDT
Robert says:
No this can not happen.

Posted on May 22, 2011 12:43:12 PM PDT
grammy says:
does this mean if my husband has a kindle and I have one, I cannot move books from his to mine?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 12:53:26 PM PDT
ranat-ka says:
Try copying the book to your computer, then use the cable to connect his Kindle to the computer and then copy it to his Kindle. See description below (here's the page it's on): http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_shop_get?nodeId=200505530#delivery

To download your purchase from Manage Your Kindle and transfer via USB:

1. Visit the Manage Your Kindle page (http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle).
2. Locate the item you wish to download in the "Your Orders" section at the bottom of the page. If you have a lot of content, you may need to use the Previous and Next options at the bottom to navigate through all of your content.
3. Click on "Deliver to . . ." next to the title and choose "Transfer via Computer" from the list.
4. Save the file to your computer when prompted by your web browser.
5. Connect Kindle to your computer with the USB cable.
6. Use your computer's file browser to drag and drop the file to your Kindle.

Hope this helps. (:

Posted on May 22, 2011 1:03:28 PM PDT
C. S. Jones says:
Books belong to the account are are available to any Kindle device / app registered to that account. If Kindles are on separate accounts they have no access to books that don't belong to the account it is registered to. When you do the download you must select the specific Kindle device / app it will be put on since it can only be opened by the Kindle device / app that it is intended for.

Posted on May 22, 2011 1:15:11 PM PDT
ranat-ka says:
If that's the case, then a solution would be to register both Kindles to the same account. You could de-register one of the Kindles, and then register it to the other account. So it could be "My Kindle2".

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2011 3:27:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 18, 2011 10:16:59 PM PDT]

Posted on May 22, 2011 3:38:43 PM PDT
ranat-ka says:
Thanks for elaborating on what I wrote, Maria. (:

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 7:22:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2011 7:25:07 PM PDT
When Amazon first started selling digital content most families used one email for the whole family. Today everyone in the family has a separate email account even young children. It would be great if Amazon could let you have separate accounts but link them as a family to a main account letting everyone linked share media. They could require that every account had to have a common payment account. So if everyone in your family had the same credit card listed as one of their payment options it could be linked to share content. The master account could then be used to allow the movie rating allowed for each linked account and if that account is allowed to purchase additional content. They could even allow the main account to allot a monthly allowance for each sub account to be charged on the common payment option.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 9:23:19 PM PDT
M. A. Sichak says:
For clarification, if I de-register my Kindle and re-register it to my husband's account, we would not lose the books I have on my Kindle and we could then access each other's existing books? And then any book either of us purchase under the one account would be available to both of us?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 10:22:46 PM PDT
@M.A. Sichak: Yes, that's right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2011 7:42:36 AM PDT
Did this work?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2011 7:59:31 AM PDT
ShirleyKat says:
You can register any Kindle or Kindle app to any Amazon account for which you know the user ID and password. Deregistering a Kindle from an account does not remove any books. You have to manually delete them.

However, books on your Kindle that belong to a different account or no account are not saved in your archives.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 10:45:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 6:42:04 PM PST
It didn't work for me . . . I had an account that I used to buy Kindle content for my iPhone . . . when I bought my first Kindle I thoughtlessly used a different amazon account . . . so I deregistered it and registered it to the other account, downloaded the few books I wanted to keep . . . then deregistered it and reregistered it to the newer account. But not all of the books I had just downloaded were there after. . .

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 7:08:49 PM PST
I just wound up downloading the couple of books I still wanted from the old account and putting them on the new Kindle vis USB.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 6:56:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 8:27:55 AM PST
This sort of happened to me. My mother bought me a Kindle for my birthday and, this being the third Kindle she'd purchased, it came pre-registered to her account with access to all of her books. When I got it home I registered it to my Amazon account. I instantly lost access to all of her books.

My wife downloaded Kindle for PC a while ago, but re-registering the app to my account did not result in combining our libraries, we just lost access to "her" books until we put the registration back to her account.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 7:18:09 AM PST
x says:
Rev. Anderson

Kindles registered to the same amazon.com account will have/share the same amazon.com ebooks. You can not merge accounts.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 8:27:21 AM PST
No, I know. I was just sharing my story as confirmation to anyone like myself who googles their way into this thread looking for that very answer. :)

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 8:28:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2012 8:28:55 AM PST
x says:
Rev. Anderson

OK, Enjoy Your Kindle.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Help Forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  May 22, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions