Customer Discussions > Kindle Help Forum

Kindle Fire stopped working

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 31, 2012 6:06:11 AM PST
Patty says:
I downloaded a book on my Fire this morning and everything was fine. About an hour later I tried to turn it on, no luck....no power, no lights when I plugged it in. Anybody have any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 6:16:50 AM PST
Patty - Try rebooting it.

Make sure it's fully charged. Unplug the Fire.
Hold the power button in for 30 seconds (count them).
It should then reboot. The "kindle fire" screen will
appear for a couple of minutes while it's coming back on.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 6:22:31 AM PST
I'm having the same problem. I used it this morning and put it to sleep and when I went to turn it on nothing happens. I have it plugged in right now but the orange charging light will not turn on. I will try to reboot it after I have had it plugged in for a bit and see how this works. Thanks Pineapple

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 6:26:06 AM PST
Emily - You're welcome. I'd leave it plugged in for an hour or two.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 7:10:55 AM PST
Carol Wenger says:
My new Kindle did the same exact thing. I was really getting upset because it is new. My son bought it for a birthday present and I had only had it for a few days. After rebooting it, it seems to be fine for now. How often will this problem occur?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 7:24:20 AM PST
Carol - I got my Fire in mid-November. About a week after I got it, it did the weird "won't turn on for some strange reason" thing. I rebooted it. I haven't had a problem since.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 7:44:56 AM PST
Hi,

My battery died on my kindle and I am charging it now. The problem is the screen is all messed up, it looks like scattered ink. Should the charging fix the problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 7:51:51 AM PST
Angelina - After it's finished charging, reboot it. But unfortunately, it sounds like your e-ink is broken and you'll need to contact customer support.

For 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation, Touch and DX Kindles:
Make sure it's fully charged. Unplug the Kindle.
Slide the power switch over (or press the power button) for 30 seconds (count them).
PUT IT DOWN AND DON'T TOUCH IT. It may take a few minutes to reboot.
Then turn on wireless and your books and Collections will repopulate.

To contact Customer Service, Click on this link and fill in the information. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html/?nodeId=200127470
You may have to sign in. I would recommend you use the PHONE or CHAT options instead of e-Mail.
CALL ME under the PHONE tab is great if available.
They will call you within minutes.

To call them:
1-866-321-8851 (inside U.S) / 1-206-266-0927 (any other country)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 2:31:07 PM PST
How do you know if it's fully charged if it's "dead"? Mine is doing absolutely nothing. Black screen, no lights when plugged in, no life at all. Help!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 2:49:42 PM PST
Adriene - Leave it plugged in for an hour or so. It should then have enough of a charge to reboot it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013 8:56:45 AM PDT
P. Hamilton says:
Thank you so much! This worked for me.

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 3:31:33 PM PDT
weidemann says:
my Kindle fire stopped working and will not turn on....did everything but replace batterie what should I Due...only seven months old..... I would think it should last longer then that....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2013 3:32:33 PM PDT
@weidemann: Charge it for a few hours and then read on.

Try performing a hard reset on your Kindle Fire. Unplug the Fire from all power sources and then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds (count them slowly) and then release. Ignore any shutdown messages. After the device has completely turned off, press the power button to restart your Kindle Fire.

If that does not help, Use the large orange Contact Us button to the right to contact Amazon Kindle CS and talk with them about it - use the live chat or the call back feature if you can, not email. If you can't see a Contact Us button on this page, then go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html and contact CS. I advise using Live Chat or the Call Me Back feature and not email, as they will have your account details available to them immediately when you talk with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2013 5:13:29 PM PST
My son's Kindle Fire had the same problem. We tried this and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 12:26:05 PM PST
I bought a Kindle Fire for my wife a little over a year ago. She downloaded a book about a month ago and all was fine. She turned it off and later the same day, she tried to turn it back on to look at the book she had purchased. The light came on for just a second and went right back off. The screen never did light up.
We thought the charger might be the problem, so I took her Kindle to a local Best Buy store, which put it on a charger for several hours. This seemed to work and they gave us the Kindle back (however, they kept her charger since we thought it was the charger that was the problem). Now she doesn't have a charger. The Kindle worked fine for about 2 weeks. Then, it quit working again and we have not been able to get any life out of it since.

We would appreciate any assistance with this that can be offered.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Help Forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Jan 31, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions