Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Customer Discussions > Kindle Help Forum

can u watch neflix on a kindle fire?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2011 12:57:00 PM PDT
Melissa says:
I already am a subscriber to Netflix so I was wondering if you can watch Netflix on the Kindle Fire or do you have to use Amazons movie service?

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 1:09:08 PM PDT
I would guess yes, since there is an Android App for Netflix and that is the OS the Fire is using.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 2:11:23 PM PDT
LadyH95 says:
See, I would guess "no" since Amazon has their own streaming service.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 3:05:14 PM PDT
DOES AMAZON REP. ANSWER ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS ?????

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 3:22:01 PM PDT
JES says:
NOT USUALLY. AND WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING???? CALL CS IF YOU WANT AN ANSWER FROM AMAZON.

Inside the United States: 1-866-321-8851
Outside the United States: 1-206-266-0927

Or, they will call you back if you leave your info at:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html?ie=UTF8

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 3:35:50 PM PDT
paula says:
What is the point of customer service Q&A if they don't answer the questions? Amazon already provides a Community Discussions board.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 4:05:02 PM PDT
@paula: That's why they call these the "Customer Discussions". By answering your questions, we are saving Amazon CS staff time and Amazon money.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 4:47:34 PM PDT
Ilan Magen says:
Dose the Kindle Fire support other Language on its virtual keyboard ?

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 7:32:45 PM PDT
skyline says:
Is youtube app is avialbe for the Kindle Fire?

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 9:12:25 PM PDT
The Kindle Fire only uses the Amazon App Store which does not carry the Netflix, Hulu, or Spotify apps. Enjoy your walled garden.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 9:40:43 PM PDT
Bobsacto says:
Since Netflix was one of four companies to be given early access to the Fire one could safely conclude the answer to your question is yes.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 6:50:50 AM PDT
Since it is not 3G, I think there is no way they could prevent you from downloading any Android App or content. If you are using their 3G network they can control what you access, but since the Fire uses Wi-Fi it is only controlled by the administrator of the newtork you are connected to. That's why Verizon, initially, did not want Wi-Fi on any of their smart phones, they wanted you to use and pay for their data streaming.
And for those complaining about no 3G, do you know how much bandwidth this will take since it streams video and not just the occasional text download? Sure, they could offer it but it won't be free for life like the text only Kindle, bandwidth is not cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 7:07:31 AM PDT
OwenT33 says:
as of now not many people know but I assume that the answer is no because the netflix app is not available in the amazon app store

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 1:53:38 PM PDT
DCM says:
You can just download it directly. Just because they don't throw it in your face, doesn't mean it isn't there for you.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&hl=en

This isn't an iPad. Android doesn't do a "Walled Garden" as someone put it.

Also, all those netflix movies.... they are streamed via Amazon's webservices. :) Trust me, their "competition" is extremely friendly.

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 1:58:01 PM PDT
lapis says:
Bobsacto is right -- Netflix will be on the Fire device.

All the people who think you can put any Android app on Fire are wrong, however. It will only accept apps certified by Amazon and run through their app store. Fire used the Android OS as a starting place, but it is highly customized and no longer standard Android. It's the Fire OS now.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 3:19:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2011 3:20:12 PM PDT
Wrong. There is a video out there where a rep for amazon clearly states that the Fire does not contain the proper DRM for downloading apps from google's application market. Not even from the web version. Try again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 8:42:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2011 8:43:44 AM PDT
Chad Ostler says:
@nickexperience - How about a link to backup what you are saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 8:58:29 AM PDT
My life is not so pathetic that I need to make things up about products. I pre-ordered one. I didn't bookmark the video and can't remember where I saw it now. Trust me, I'm not making this up, no reason to, wish it wasn't true. There is no Google DRM on the Fire, Google wasn't consulted at all on building this. That means NO use of the google app store, in a similar fashion to many other budget android tablets that have not had access. That means, for the time being, no Netflix, no Spotify, no Hulu Plus, no Google Voice, and a bunch of other things. The Google app store has over 200,000 apps, the amazon app store has over 10,000. Amazon is taking the Apple route. That can be good in some ways. Lord knows most of the apps available are garbage, so a little curation could be a good thing.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 9:03:57 AM PDT
Marj says:
Will the kindle fire be backlit?

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 9:06:36 AM PDT
L L. says:
Amazon stated in an interview they have been talking favorably with Netflix, and several others. I had an online chat with customer service about buying apps now for my son so they would be on teh kindle fire when it comes. SHe told me I could buy any AMAZON app, the others won't work. Netflix is not available at this time, but they were interested in making an app at a later date.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 10:01:49 PM PDT
Boom. 2:15 in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SC9tIB1bzI&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLA4DCC776C0337A5D

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 11:52:54 AM PDT
R. S. Patel says:
if netflix is not on kindle fire i will cancel my pre-order. how long before we can return this product anyways?

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 12:46:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 12:46:43 PM PDT
C. S. Jones says:
Remember that Netflix is the one that has to approve the device, the DRM controls and release a version of their app that will accept the Fire. Amazon can request it but has no control beyond that. As with all devices from Amazon you have 30 days to return it. They didn't allow it on my Droid X until it finally got the upgrade to gingerbread (2.3).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 10:41:28 PM PDT
By this logic then apple couldn't control what you access on your iPad/iPhone while using wifi......

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 10:06:51 AM PDT
ShirleyKat says:
Here's a quote from an Amazon VP published here:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2016348867_brieramazonqa29.html

Q: Is there a Hulu app for the device?
A: I haven't talked to Hulu. We have talked to Netflix, Pandora, Facebook and Twitter, and they all seem very enthusiastic to put an app on the device.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Help Forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions