Customer Discussions > Kindle Help Forum

Kindle Maintenance

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2011 3:36:16 PM PST
hunter_lite says:
How are things like reg cleaning, deletion of temporary internet files, and defragmentation accomplished on a Kindle? The Kindle Fire will be my first tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 3:42:42 PM PST
Artist says:
We're just other Kindle owners helping out in this forum, and since none of us have the Fire in hand, we can't help you. If you want to contact CS, read the second post at the top of this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 3:44:18 PM PST
hunter_lite says:
How is this maintenance done on other Kindles?

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 3:45:43 PM PST
Artist says:
There is no maintenance on the e-readers, other than wiping the screen and casing (if you so desire) with a damp cloth.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 4:17:01 PM PST
hunter_lite says:
Any Kindle with email/internet access would have these maintenance issues.

I was interested if Kindle comes with built-in maintenance apps, like Windows.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 4:20:47 PM PST
Artist says:
Well, I guess even though I've had my first Kindle for almost 2 years, and I help people out on this forum every day, you'd know better than me, huh?

Read the second post at the top of this forum for customer service contact info.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 4:45:53 PM PST
Sue says:
Well seeing you are not listening, you can vacuum around it and catch all the dust bunnies on it.

I have had a Kindle for 2 years also and Blaiz is correct. You should learn to listen once!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:24:00 PM PST
ShirleyKat says:
While using the experimental browser on e-ink Kindles, you can press Menu and choose to clear history, clear cookies, disable Javascript, and disable images. That's under browser settings. The first two, or at least history, is needed when the browser starts freezing. It's not a very capable browser and should not be compared to what will be available on the Fire.

There is no email on e-ink Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:54:39 PM PST
hunter_lite says:
Thank you ShirleyKat, that was helpful.

Amazing how a simple tech query can draw abusive responses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 7:44:59 PM PST
Artist says:
None of the things Shirley mentioned are "necessary" maintenance steps. While those options are mentioned in the user's manual, there is no mention of regular maintenance of the Kindle being necessary.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 7:46:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 7:50:33 PM PST
TuxGirl says:
There's a menu option to clean out cookies and history on the other kindles. Defragging the e-ink kindles will damage them. Since the Fire uses flash memory, defragging is completely unnecessary, and may cause damage to the drive.

Personally, I don't do any of the above maintenance even on my mac. I have flash memory on my mac, so I don't defrag. I never clean out cookies or history on it because I actually like having those there.

I didn't do those things on linux either. I never defragged because it just wasn't an issue for me. I only cleared out cookies when I had a cookie problem at a website, and then I only cleared the specific cookie that was causing problems. I did occasionally remove the folder with temporary internet files, but only if I was about to do a backup of my home directory and didn't want to have to copy all that data over...

Really, I don't think that any of those steps are "mandatory" on most machines. They might be mandatory on Windows. I've never had a windows machine at home, so that's certainly possible. And defragging was pretty important back on Mac OS 8... Since OS 8, I only had linux machines until I got my current mac, so I don't know if other macs need defragging...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 9:21:52 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
I used to defrag at work on a Windows machine. When I had to read paper specs, I could glance up at the defragging utility for entertainment.

I like having my history and cookies too, but recently I erased the history thinking that might allow me to see the new Amazon pages again. It didn't work. I'm still stuck on the old yellow and blue pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 10:06:28 AM PST
TuxGirl says:
Yeah, I'm stuck on the yellow/blue again too. I really liked the white version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 2:07:59 PM PST
Understand that the operating system on the Kindle is not like Windows. It has a Linux kernel and is running the Android OS on top of that. Neither use a registry. The applications provided either don't use temporary files or do their own clean-up, as there is no provision to do so and nobody in the history of Kindle use has run into a problem as a result. You can defrag the visible part of the file system from Windows, but it is not recommended.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 2:17:57 PM PST
TuxGirl says:
Bruce:
Thank you for saying what was in my head in a much more elegant and clear way than I did. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 4:42:12 PM PST
ShirleyKat says:
<<The applications provided either don't use temporary files or do their own clean-up, as there is no provision to do so and nobody in the history of Kindle use has run into a problem as a result.>>

I'm going to have to disagree a bit. I got my Kindle into a really bad state. I'm sure it had corrupted system files and I think they were related to the collections feature.

The Kindle was getting sluggish with too many books, so I deleted about 500 finished books, one-by-one from a collection. That made the slowness much worse -- 90 seconds to display the first home page from anyplace else (even going back from home page 2). It also took 90 seconds to add a book to a collection.

I removed the index database and reindexed everything. I removed some hidden trash files that were ghosts of items I had deleted in the normal manner. In the end, I had to set it back to factory defaults. Since that time, I've only put about 50 books on it and it works fine. So I'd say that if you don't overload your Kindle (more than 500 books), it might be fine. But after that, you're on rocky ground. Storing 3000 books on a Kindle is just not going to work. And I've experienced this slowness on both the K2 (supposedly holds 1500 books) and the K3 (supposedly holds 3000 books). It might hold the books but lots of luck actually using the Kindle with that many books on it.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 4:50:56 PM PST
L L. says:
I have about 850 on mine now. I've not noticed any slowing down at all. I load my books with calibre and they come in fine too. I hope it doesn't slow down, I like having all my books with me all teh time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 4:55:41 PM PST
ShirleyKat says:
I knew you were going to say that, but I've also seen you post that most of those books did not come from Amazon and I've always wondered if that makes a difference.

There is no slowdown in reading. But it took 60-90 seconds for the spinner to stop spinning in the upper left corner after turning it on. It didn't want to do anything until it finished whatever it was churning on about in the background. I really got tired of waiting for that spinner to stop.

On a new Kindle, you barely see it, but now both of the K3's are showing more and more spin time when I first turn them on. I almost think it might be advisable to do a factory default reset every year or so to keep them peppy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 5:03:43 PM PST
L L. says:
I have about 275 from amazon at this time. Do you mean after waking it up or a complete power down. If I want to go to home page after reading a book, it takes about 15 -30 seconds, but just waking up when it's asleep is instant. Also, do you just let it go to sleep in the book or go to home? I just set mine down when I'm done reading in teh middle of the book, I pick it up frequently all day and when watching tv I have to wake it up a lot.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 5:07:00 PM PST
L L. says:
The non amazon ones are in mobi format and are anywhere from 500 to 1000kb.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 7:21:20 PM PST
TuxGirl says:
that is a good point. if you add and remove books a lot, cleaning out indexes is pretty helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 8:18:24 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 8:19:19 AM PST
ShirlyKat: I suspect that's related to index files or the onboard catalog rather than temporary files.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 8:25:57 AM PST
ShirleyKat says:
When I had the problem, the home page was visible right away, but the spinner was going in the upper left corner. I couldn't do anything until that quit. It was like waiting for your computer to boot up, only longer.

Once it started accepting input from me, I could go to the second home page. If I then went back to the first home page, I had that long wait again, with the spinner rotating and not allowing me to move the cursor or do anything else until it finished whatever it was doing in the background.

I solved the problem by resetting to factory defaults and only putting about 50 books on it.

I'm not saying this happened as a result of having 1200 books. But it did happen immediately after deleting 500 books from a collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 8:40:09 AM PST
L L. says:
Wow, that's weird. I have 8 pages of home. BUt when I go to home to open a new book, I don't have any lag at all, I can turn those pages just as quick as turning the book page. The longest lag is opening the book or going to home which takes 15-30 seconds.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Help Forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions