Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle Deals forum

Kindle Daily Deal

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2011 5:56:13 AM PST
C. Atkins says:
Could you please make the Kindle Daily Deal something other than mysteries and thrillers? I rarely read them and would like more opportunity to purchase something I'd actually read.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 6:56:49 AM PST
Rob says:
Perhaps it would be a good idea if Amazon would establish a rotating-genre schedule for the Kindle Daily Deals. In other words, non-fiction on Sundays, mysteries and thrillers on Mondays, sci-fi and fantasy on Tuesdays, romance on Wednesdays, etc.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:05:28 AM PST
SD Reader says:
I would appreciate inclusion of a short description of the book, in addition to the author and genre, in the Daily Deal e-mail. Without that information handy, I find it difficult to decide if it's something I actually want to purchase. I believe it's included in the Facebook posting, but not all of us are on Facebook all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 7:06:27 AM PST
Anonymous says:
DITTO!!!!
The daily deal is never my type of reading. I'd like to see a lot of variety of fiction.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 7:55:12 AM PST
K. Bishop says:
Well the one today is another stealth Xtian book. (11/11) THAT's what I'm tired of.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 9:58:21 AM PST
It's not stealth. If you scroll down, it's quite clear that it's a Christian fiction.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 10:39:25 PM PST
Sue says:
You can find a description of what the book is about on the Amazon account page for the book. I look there all the time to see what the books is about before I buy it.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 2:11:31 AM PST
SRT says:
Today's is well worth reading. Works as fantasy or historical fiction

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 3:48:25 AM PST
How about "A Natural History Of The Piano" by Stuart Isacoff which comes out soon

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 5:26:50 AM PST
BubbaCoop says:
"I would appreciate inclusion of a short description of the book, in addition to the author and genre, in the Daily Deal e-mail. "

Are you really too lazy to click one link to go to the books amazon page and read as much about it as you can possibly want?

Amazon.com Review
It's 1808 and that Corsican upstart Napoleon is battering the English army and navy. Enter Mr. Norrell, a fusty but ambitious scholar from the Yorkshire countryside and the first practical magician in hundreds of years. What better way to demonstrate his revival of British magic than to change the course of the Napoleonic wars? Susanna Clarke's ingenious first novel, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, has the cleverness and lightness of touch of the Harry Potter series, but is less a fairy tale of good versus evil than a fantastic comedy of manners, complete with elaborate false footnotes, occasional period spellings, and a dense, lively mythology teeming beneath the narrative. Mr. Norrell moves to London to establish his influence in government circles, devising such powerful illusions as an 11-day blockade of French ports by English ships fabricated from rainwater. But however skillful his magic, his vanity provides an Achilles heel, and the differing ambitions of his more glamorous apprentice, Jonathan Strange, threaten to topple all that Mr. Norrell has achieved. A sparkling debut from Susanna Clarke--and it's not all fairy dust. --Regina Marler
From Publishers Weekly
The drawing room social comedies of early 19th-century Britain are infused with the powerful forces of English folklore and fantasy in this extraordinary novel of two magicians who attempt to restore English magic in the age of Napoleon. In Clarke's world, gentlemen scholars pore over the magical history of England, which is dominated by the Raven King, a human who mastered magic from the lands of faerie. The study is purely theoretical until Mr. Norrell, a reclusive, mistrustful bookworm, reveals that he is capable of producing magic and becomes the toast of London society, while an impetuous young aristocrat named Jonathan Strange tumbles into the practice, too, and finds himself quickly mastering it. Though irritated by the reticent Norrell, Strange becomes the magician's first pupil, and the British government is soon using their skills. Mr. Strange serves under Wellington in the Napoleonic Wars (in a series of wonderful historical scenes), but afterward the younger magician finds himself unable to accept Norrell's restrictive views of magic's proper place and sets out to create a new age of magic by himself. Clarke manages to portray magic as both a believably complex and tedious labor, and an eerie world of signs and wonders where every object may have secret meaning. London politics and talking stones are portrayed with equal realism and seem indisputably part of the same England, as signs indicate that the Raven King may return. The chock-full, old-fashioned narrative (supplemented with deft footnotes to fill in the ignorant reader on incidents in magical history) may seem a bit stiff and mannered at first, but immersion in the mesmerizing story reveals its intimacy, humor and insight, and will enchant readers of fantasy and literary fiction alike.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 7:02:37 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 12, 2011 7:03:04 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 7:42:58 AM PST
P. M. Scogin says:
OT - Just have to say I am in total awe over people who can complain about a very reasonable special, offered every day, covering ALL kinds of genres. Since the deal has started, I've bought five. Granted, that's not many, but when you consider the amazing number of genres that Amazon has tried to offer in this deal? well, I feel real lucky to have found even that many of interest to me. Two of those books are actually different genres from what I normally read, but they tickled my interest and had superior reviews. For the price it's a risk worth taking and may be a new author to enjoy and possibly a whole new range of reading.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 9:04:58 AM PST
NewYorker says:
Surprised and pleased with today's Daily Deal (11/12/11)... Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell. It has been on my reading list since the HC was published in 2004. Just never got around to reading it... now I can... at a greatly reduced price! I, too, would like to see Amazon offer something of substance other than the junk books they've listed lately. Maybe with today's selection, they are turning over a new leaf... we can hope!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 9:58:55 AM PST
+1

And, FWIW, I think your post was precisely on topic.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 5:35:44 AM PST
SRT says:
I am REALLY interested in today's daily deal...The Heroes. $1.99 for this book is great BUT I was wondering if the fact that I have not read the other books will hurt my appreciation of it. It is a standalone but takes place in the same world as the other books. Some people say it does not matter while others insist it helps if you have read the other books. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 7:13:55 AM PST
K. Arlitt says:
I am frustrated that a number of the daily deal books are not available in Canada. If today's deal is only available in the US, then an alternative should be provided for the Canadian customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 9:13:08 AM PST
virginia says:
I wholeheartedly agree with Rob. Even though I prefer mysteries, I would like to have some varieties to choose from.Va

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 10:33:56 AM PST
GKM says:
Nicely put. The world is loaded with complainers. I've stopped listening.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:43:46 PM PST
Howard says:
I am a new kindle owner, and would like to know what this "Daily Deal" is? I don't see how to sign up for an email, or however you do it? Thank you for your help! I am very thankful for all the discussions and help kindle owners provide!!!
ampar

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 4:07:23 PM PST
Beth Sexton says:
ampar, if you look in the upper left side of this page it will say Shop All Departments. Use the little down arrow on the right side of the button and select Kindle then Kindle ebooks. On the page that opens the Daily Deals will be listed on the right side of the page. It changes every day.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:06:54 PM PST
Actually what I thought was great was to see some really strong award winning children's books among the selections. That's a real contribution to improving the overall literacy of our society. And nope haven't read one of those in decades. (sorry except for Kipling's Kim) Konestly it seems unlikely with the vast divergence of tastes that show in these posts that Amazon would even match my particular set of tastes once a month. Not unless they want to make everyone else very unhappy.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:15:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 5:15:47 PM PST
EdO says:
Has Amazon ever considered kids that have kindles like me. I enjoy reading some of there daily deals but most are spectacularly boring. Make a kids daily deal like the lightning thief or something like that.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 6:05:16 PM PST
Come on, Amazon! Enough already of Daily Deals that are not available in Australia!! Just about every time I think "this looks like an interesting book", I go to the next screen and there's the dreaded green box! Can't we have more books available overseas?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 6:21:14 PM PST
A Voice "Nell" says: I second what SD Reader says except that I could be satisfied with just author and description of the book. That is so needed to decide whether to buy or not even if discounted. Also, I have not ventured to Facebook yet or Twitter to pick up that information there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 5:45:05 AM PST
mitsue says:
I agree.Offer some historical novels or those whose characters are based on truth. Reading J. Edgar Hoover now. What an SOB he was. But at least I am learning something.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle Deals forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle Deals forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions