Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

I Hate My Kindle Upgrade

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 487 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2016 3:34:15 PM PST
Raybun says:
My Kindle Voyage has been upgraded. I do not like the Icon view. How, or can, I get the old list view back.
Thanks

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 3:44:29 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 3:54:09 PM PST
But certainly there are ways to go back to the list view by turning off the icon view. Plenty of posts about how to do that if you look around this board. Go to the posts about the new upgrade.

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 3:56:02 PM PST
Oh, THAT, yes, just choose List View

from the dropdown

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 3:56:55 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 3:57:45 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2016 4:24:07 PM PST
You can turn off the new home page setup (also turns off Recommended Content), and you'll end up with your normal List View, though the new typeface will still be there.

Go to: Settings > Device Options > Personalize Your Kindle > Advanced Options > Home Screen View --> Set to Off

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2016 5:38:50 AM PST
Mary McManus says:
Yes, you can opt out of the new home page so the new awful typeface is the big problem with the upgrade. The fonts are all more lightweight and fainter and thus harder to read if you have any contrast issues. This goes for the list view of the home page as well as the fonts you read books with. We should have an option to darken the fonts. Amazon went in the wrong direction with this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2016 5:44:59 AM PST
Raybun says: "My Kindle Voyage has been upgraded. I do not like the Icon view. How, or can, I get the old list view back."

Same as before. Tap on the 2nd drop down from the right and select List View instead of Grid View.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2016 5:47:16 AM PST
**Meya** says:
I'm looking at the Kobo Glo.

Never thought I would not like my Kindle. But I need more font options, not thinner ones.

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 12:55:55 PM PST
Ed says:
Just manually got the update for the Paperwhite 2 (6th generation). Like it. Except, looks like they're attempting to demonstrate that the superior page pixelation enables making the fonts very small and light and are yet readable - -- - with a magnifying glass!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2016 2:06:37 PM PST
KAragon says:
They're supposed to be fixing this.

http://www.teleread.com/amazon/amazon-rolling-back-evil-font-change-kindle-update-thanks/

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2016 2:23:07 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
I don't necessarily take from that a promise to change the home page; it seemed to be talking about the Helvetica font option for books. No?

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 9:47:10 AM PST
C. K. Shubin says:
Cannot stand the new upgrade. It's horrible.

After the new upgrade was finished I found it had downloaded ALL the collections from my old kindle and every single book I ever bought. I had to go through and delete all the collections (had my other kindle set up different than the new voyage). What a pain.

The typeface is terrible and now when I download an e-library book it no longer shows up in list view like it used to. I have to toggle between list view and that terrible Grid view I loathe just to find it...or I have to do a search for it. Sometimes upgrades really aren't. I want the old version back.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2016 9:57:52 AM PST
Katinka says:
On your home screen are you looking at ALL or DOWNLOADED ? Once I switched to DOWNLOADED on my device, my choices were pretty much back to normal. Although I did find that when I try to move a book into one of my collections, it started by pulling up the list of the collections on my daughter's device (which is also on my account, and alphabetically before mine) from under the ALL setting. I had to switch back to the DOWNLOADED section to put it in one of my collections.

Annoying, yes a bit, but I can live with it.

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 10:59:09 AM PST
C. K. Shubin says:
Nothing I've downloaded comes up under either of those. Just my 3 collections that I have. Anything new that i've downloaded never shows up. I can find them if I do a search or if I switch to the grid. It's really irritating.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2016 11:05:11 AM PST
Katinka says:
That is weird. I bought and downloaded several books this morning without any problems. I'm still figuring out the changes to things after the device, but finding newly downloaded books hasn't been an issue for me so far. I keep my downloaded books in collections (adding them as soon as I can) and only the one I'm currently reading outside of the collections. I don't know if that makes a difference, or why it would, but as I said I'm still learning what's different.

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 3:51:58 PM PST
Rose Lady says:
Kindle HDX 8.9 here and received my update today. Oh, how I hate it. Thank you EarthAngel2911 but the instructions, but I don't believe that is going to work on mine. I paid extra when I bought this Kindle to have no ads. Now, I am covered up in ads for books that might interest me. BS. Jeff owes me money back. I won't be buying another Kindle, for myself or gifts. Lesson learned.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2016 4:00:12 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 10, 2016 5:27:27 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 5:01:22 PM PST
val says:
I have a 6, previously I kept books I hadn't read in 'download' moved them to cloud storage after reading. I don't do collections. Now I can't tell which of my older purchases I've read and which are unread. Suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2016 5:04:27 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
nope - there's no way to tell until you open the book on the Fires

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2016 5:09:20 PM PST
Great Upgrade!! All my text documents are destroyed !!!
Am on the phone now waiting for an expert, been through a rep and a supervisor.
Cut off Again. Wonderful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2016 5:22:25 PM PST
KessaJo says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2016 5:28:33 PM PST
I opened it and "YOU HAVE BEEN UPDATED!" Great It took a min but I found the doc I had been reading, but now I can't open it. All of the text documents I have downloaded from my computer won't open.
Just get funny page icons with weird names.
Hoping they will call me back when they find a expert. Bad snow storm in Mich. messing with my phone.

Posted on Feb 24, 2016 5:29:19 PM PST
abt1950 says:
This is an upgrade? The font size on the collections and book lists is absurdly small and difficult to read, especially for people with aging eyes. Did they run this upgrade by anyone over 50?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 939 15 minutes ago
Does Kindle Fire support MHL 37 24 minutes ago
Kindle Oasis shipment date 10 43 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 5217 43 minutes ago
do even the old kindles have audio capability 25 44 minutes ago
Impossible to cancel kindle free time unlimited 17 52 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 6953 57 minutes ago
No game content for new Paperwhite? 19 57 minutes ago
Transfer of books from one kindle to another kindle 169 1 hour ago
Page Numbers vs. Locations = Decision to Buy Kindle or Not 1708 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  130
Total posts:  487
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2016
Latest post:  21 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions