Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Halloween
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

does go launcher work on kindle fire hd?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2012 1:13:10 PM PDT
onetime says:
I have a kindle fire and really like having go launcher on it. Does this work as well on the hd fire?

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 2:42:22 PM PDT
Awa says:
Alternative launchers, Go Launcher etc., do install but will not run. Locked bootloader?

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 3:22:24 PM PDT
onetime says:
Ok, that's seals it then. No go for me. Thanks for answering!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 7:26:49 AM PDT
shadow says:
There is one that works, sort of... it is AWD Launcher EX that I was able to download directly to the HD thru 4 Shared. There is a video on the web that shows what it does. I haven't got the wallpapers perfect yet, but at least I can have one now! Amazon really needs to understand people want this kind of personalization and give a app for it! Having a nice homescreen and widgets does not prevent me from going to their books, videos, etc. The Fire HD is great, and we only want a few things to make it a bit more versatile.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 9:15:07 AM PDT
Therese C. says:
I am with you, I have Go Launcher on 1st Gen Fire, but can't it to work on the new Fire HD. I also can't get Live365 to play, can't install Opera or any other browser that I could on 1st Gen Fire. It's too much for me, whose tablet is it anyway? Mine or Amazons? It doesn't feel like mine. I am on the verge of returning it and getting a Nexus 7 which is a shame because I am a long time Amazon Prime customer.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 1:42:14 PM PDT
I side loaded dolphin browser and it's working fine. Haven't tried anything else.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 9:47:16 AM PDT
I have the kindle fire and used the go launcher on it and it works perfectly, but I haven't tried it on the kindle fire hd

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 10:25:12 AM PDT
owloveya says:
Christina, can you tell me how you got it installed? Did you have to side load it?

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 10:52:14 AM PDT
The Fires are primarily aimed at those who interested in consuming Amazon content and are optimized for that purpose. Those interested in tablets for other uses may want to consider a tablet running stock android, such as the Nexus 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 6:48:35 AM PDT
Therese C. says:
That is true about the Kindle Fire. However, neither the Nexus 7 nor the iPad run Adobe Flash player, so none of Amazon's video content will play on either of those devices.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 11:33:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 11:34:11 AM PDT
Flash is being abandoned by everyone so it's really a non-issue in comparing tablets. The new Fire HD doesn't have flash support either: More correctly, Adobe has stopped supporting newer versions of android. If you need it, it should be fairly easy to sideload another browser that supports flash player such as dolphin hd.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 10:58:20 PM PDT
I have the Kindle Fire HD running GO Launcher HD. It runs smoothly and it is great. I am working on changing the lock screen as we speak!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 6:22:27 PM PDT
Tori says:
how did you get it to work please tell me you would be my hero lol

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 5:27:28 PM PDT
Hey Christina - where did you find the go launcher? I can't find it at the amazon apps store and google apps store says it isn't compatible with my device. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 8:15:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 8:17:08 AM PDT
V. Cortes says:
The way I got it for my original Kindle. Just go to the dev website:

and download from there. Just run it once it's done.

Again, this on the original Fire and it works just fine with a few caveats.
The wallpaper resets each time the kindle wakes up.
The Kindle app does not seem to load. Kindle freezes but just a quick standby-on and it goes back to normal.
To work around that, just keep the default Launcher app (should show up in the list of apps) on the desktop. This switches to the Amazon skin then you can read your books. To go back to GO launcher just click the icon on the carousel (should be the first one).

Hope this helps. So far, i have not had any other issue.
Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 3:11:47 PM PST
T. Baird says:
Connie, you can get it from 1 mobile market. I got it and installed it on my fire HD but have yet to make it work.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 3:14:46 PM PST
All of you might check the XDA developers forum (google it) for more specific info on getting golauncher (or any other launcher) to work on the Kindle Fire HD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 11:54:54 AM PST
JPL says:
I just got my first Kindle HD and have been able to sideload several of my favorite Android apps but can not get Go Launcher to work. It says that it loads but when it is done the "open" button is grayed out and I can not open the app. How did you get this to work? My HD is not rooted.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:53:45 PM PST
l. garza says:
having trouble getting go launcher ex to run on my new kindle fire HD... is new kindle fire not comparable?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:57:13 PM PST
l. garza says:
how? your kindle fire he rooted?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 11:49:07 AM PST
how did u get it on your device .

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 8:27:32 AM PST
B-ryan says:
how please tell me

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:11:34 PM PST
HI says:
I agree that this device has great hardware, but is crippled by clunky OS.

I have fire HD, nexus 7 and galaxy tap 7 plus. This is the WORST to work with. The book reader doesn't see books in book folder. useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 2:46:16 AM PDT
Me too.. did you ever get it to work?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 3:39:58 AM PDT
JPL says:
No I spent many hours trying many suggestions but have given up. The tablet has been great but just stinks that I can not configure it the way I want I guess the next one will be a Samsung or Google.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 18 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 18 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle devices 5 1 minute ago
This price was set by the publisher 632 3 minutes ago
Music on Rhapsody 217 6 minutes ago
Video not currently available.. 0 8 minutes ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 2555 11 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 818 11 minutes ago
Charging port for Kindle Fire 438 23 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 333 29 minutes ago
is it possible to download kindle books to an sd card 110 33 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Sep 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions