Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How many books do you have on your Paperwhite?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2012 9:20:45 PM PDT
M. says:
I know how many the device is advertised to hold (1100), but my experience with the kindle keyboard is that it only holds a few hundred ebooks -way, way less than it's advertised to hold- before it starts to have problems with slowing down and freezing that get progressively worse the more books you have on the device.

Can anybody confirm if that is an issue for the PW as well? I'm worried that if it has the same problems, with the paperwhite's reduced memory -2gb instead of 4gb for the keyboard- I won't be able to get as many books as I'd like onboard at the same time.

I realize many people don't care and feel that cloud storage gets rid of the need for on device storage for more than a few books at a time, but for me that is really not an ideal situation. So I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has a larger number of books on their kindle, how's your PW handling the load?

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:24:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 9:25:36 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
I have about 10 on my PW. I havn't yet downloaded my books that have yet to be read.

I do not keep a lot of books on my Kindle. Once the book has been read it gets archived, so all I have on the Kindle is the books I have yet to read.

There really is no need to have all your Ebooks on the device at the same time.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:32:44 PM PDT
TuxGirl says:
I have about 30, which is as high as I like to go on any of my devices. I have around 2200 in my archives.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:33:37 PM PDT
C. Wagner says:
I just copied over my 623 SF books - MOBI/PRC files that I've bought over the years from Baen. It's still indexing things, so I don't know if it will be any slower when it's all done.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:49:44 PM PDT
patty1955 says:
I have 1003 and it hasn't slowed down at all.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 9:59:10 PM PDT
I only keep what I'm reading on my Kindles and leave the rest in the archives.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 9:59:49 PM PDT
M. says:
That's really great to hear. I was hoping that the newer models wouldn't have the same problems but until people fill them up a bit there's no way to tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 10:06:06 PM PDT
"There really is no need to have all your Ebooks on the device at the same time."

No *need*, no - but it's nice that one can! And if you a) read fast, b) travel a lot, and c) don't have ready access to wifi while travelling, having plenty to choose from is one of the advantages of a kindle, IMO. Restricting myself to only the number I could pack and carry with me anyway seems to rather defeat the purpose.

Besides, I have a lot of books (probably a couple of hundred) that aren't in my archives, and I read them when I'm too tired to absorb new books, which is quite often.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 10:10:58 PM PDT
M. says:
That's part of what my issue is, I've got a lot of ebooks from sources like Baen, and I know you can email them to archives but it's not a quick or easy task when you've got more than a dozen or so and I'd rather sideload at least a fair number of them once and then be able to browse through them on hand, than go looking in calibre to choose my next TBR book or two and adding just those.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 10:21:04 PM PDT
M. says:
Yes! thank you, you put it much better than I could. I usually go through one to three books a day and I bounce between a bunch of genres. I like having a nice selection on the kindle so I've got a choice in whatever genre I'm in the mood for next. And I'll be honest, going through a large archive can be frustrating when you are in the mood for something genre or theme wise, but aren't looking for a specific author or title. Once you can sort by collections or genres in archives it will be a bit different but at the moment it's not very nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 11:07:45 PM PDT
I'm with you all the way, M! I'd like an archive to my archive, actually LOL. A sub-collection in my MYK library for books that I've read, don't plan to read again, don't want to accidentally buy again, but definitely don't want to have to trawl through when looking for something that's in my archives.

If only...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions