Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle fire won't charge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 232 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2012 2:17:02 PM PDT
ReaderGirl says:
Today my Kindle fire stopped being charged by the kindle charger. I plugged it in to the charger for my Droid Razor Maxx and it charged fine. I'm not extremely technologically savvy, and wonder if this charger will damage my Fire. Any other suggestions? The Kindle charger continues to charge my K2 fine. So its not as simple as the charger has stopped working.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 2:21:33 PM PDT
dfn.ninja says:
Are you sure? I've had a couple instances where there would be none of the usual signs of charging even though it was actually charging. A reset fixed it both times.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 2:27:31 PM PDT
ReaderGirl says:
Yes. I'm certain. I had it plugged in all night and this morning it was still almost dead. I plugged it into the phone charger and two hours later its fully charged. How do I reset the Fire? I did shut it down and turned it back on. And this didn't change anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 3:55:23 PM PDT
dfn.ninja says:
Hold the power button past the shut down option until it goes blank. Then tap the power button to bring it back on. You may just need to get with kindle support and get a new charger.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 10:04:30 PM PDT
None of these solutions work. Call Amazon, they will send you a new one. Some of the devices are just defective.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 6:29:15 PM PDT
I am on my 3rd Kindle! After awhile the charger won't work. It isn't the charger per se, but the actual opening on the Kindle that the charger goes into. I have had my 3rd Kindle for a bit over a month and it is having charger problems again! The customer service people at Amazon are some of the best and have promptly replaced the Kindles. I am getting tired of having to return them. I certainly hope they come up with a new design to fix the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:13:23 PM PDT
Helana says:
I have a K2 and a first generation fire. I have had the same problem with both of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 10:18:54 PM PDT
I'm waiting for my second device to arrive which is a replacement for one that is only a few months old and was treated with great care. Unfortunately it is a design flaw that Amazon has never, and may never publicly address but judging by their willingness to promptly replace the devices as needed, almost without question, is a clear sign that they are more than aware of this issue. I hope they come up with a fix as well because if I hear this is a problem with the Kindle HD I'm going to stay away.

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 5:15:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2012 5:16:57 PM PDT
Linda Bone says:
I am also having charging issues! I am going to be on my fourth kindle if I call again. I have a problem with receiving refurbished ones verses brand new one. I bought a new one..I should get a new one in return. I had my kindle since May. I do agree Amazon customer service has been easy to work with. Just frustrating having to deal with exchanges..again.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 10:29:02 PM PDT
Atheryal says:
Mine also just stopped charging. And it is maybe six weeks old. How annoying. Guess Ill call customer service in.the morning.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 8:32:18 PM PDT
I can't even charge mine for the first time out of the box

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 9:48:01 PM PDT
Sue says:
If you are having problems with your Kindle Fire, contact Customer Service. My Fire would not charge and they said they would send me a new one. Mine was still under warrenty and I had a new one in two days.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 4:04:30 PM PDT
I just purchsed a kindle fire not even 12 hours ago, and I am having all these issues. This is not a good device, on my way to return this item....Good Luck

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 5:49:56 PM PDT
Paula Blumm says:
I did this and now my Kindle shows full charge. I will call Amazon also for a new charger. Thanks for this suggestion.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 6:42:40 AM PDT
I tried the hard reboot mentioned above, and everything started working again. My Kindle Fire was showing it was not charging, but upon the reboot, it showed fully charged, and when I plugged it into the charger again, everything was working fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 7:09:43 AM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Paula,

In all likelihood you don't need a new charger. What you need to do is to reboot the KF occasionally.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:37:30 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 5, 2012 8:38:24 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:39:59 PM PST
DK24 says:
Jsh1120-Thanks for the advice. I shut down my kindle fire, waited for a few and powered it back on again!! It's now charging :)
Thanks again!!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:31:47 AM PST
I plugged mine in using the KF charger when the battery is dead it charged for maybe 10 seconds and I left it overnight and no life as of 7am CST. I may have to make a call on this one Time of death 0729

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:24:50 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Michael,

Before seeking a replacement, try rebooting the KF at least three times, waiting about 1 minute between each attempt. The boot sequence sometimes does not manage to clear memory properly the first time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:22:56 PM PST
LullabyeEve says:
Do you know what the number is? And how long is a kindles warrenty? Thane my didn't charge fully in three weeks

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 3:59:58 PM PST
Lizzy says:
We haven't even returned the second kindle fire that went bad and already the third won't charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:15:46 PM PST
jsh1120 says:
Plug your Kindle Fire into the charger. LEAVE IT ALONE FOR AT LEAST FOUR HOURS. Don't look at it; don't pay any attention to whether the light comes on; just leave it alone!

Disconnect it from the charger. Push and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds. Pay no attention to the question of whether you want to shut it down. Just push and hold the button and count slowly from 1 to 30.

Press the power button briefly. Wait for the KF to boot. If you see nothing on the screen after 60 seconds, press it again and wait. Still no response? Press it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 7:25:21 AM PST
My kindle fire won't charge. The button goes green then orange the it turns on the screen where it says Kindle Fire and then shuts of like it doesn't have the energy to turn on then it does it again and again and again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:24:41 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Read the instructions in the post above yours.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 12 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 12 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
RAoK Room 81 is ready to serve you..... 7750 10 seconds ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 2412 2 minutes ago
book samples 5 3 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - April 2015 53 5 minutes ago
ECHO's of Friendship 2321 14 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2116 18 minutes ago
Audio books on the Kindle Fire? 129 20 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 5681 47 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 9931 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  154
Total posts:  232
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 46 customers

Search Customer Discussions