Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Is anyone else bummed by the size of the HD movies?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2013 8:32:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 8:34:54 PM PST
On the ad it says the common size for an HD movie is 2 gigs. I got a 32 gb Fire HD thinking I could have several movies on it at once.

Lo and behold the average size of my HD movies(direct from Amazon) is about 8 gigs. I have not seen one less than 7 andI have about 15 HD movies from Amazon. Now with a working storage space of 27.1 gbs.........i can get two movies and a few apps on it. That's it.

Anyone else have this problem and feel like there were misled? And where can I find these "2 gb HD movies", because Amazon doesn't have them.

For example for a large movie like The Avengers was 15 gbs. 15 GBS!!!! I can understand 7-9 maybe through other sites since it's a long movie with lots of visuals but 15!!! Amazon's file sizes are uncommonly big and that SEVERLY cuts down on the amount of content you can store on it. And before I get griefed about the 'Cloud", to those who lead cush jobs and are surrounded by WiFi nonstop 24/7, stop and think of those that don't. I work 7 days on/ 7 days off out in the field where there is barely enough drinking water and running electricity, much less ANY kind of signal of any sort. I got this 32 gb for entertainment but alas I cant really enjoy the full extent of it because of the file sizes. For comparison's sake a "normal" movie like 21 Jump street that is 109 minutes long the file size is 7.9 gigs. Too me that is just unacceptable.

So again, where are these 2 gb HD movies the amazon lists on the Fire HD page????

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 8:36:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 8:43:41 PM PST
Download the standard HD version, not the one's that say 720 or 1080.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:38:40 PM PST
Then what was the point of getting the 8.9 inch? I realize that yes, the fault lies with me for being ignorant. but the whole reason I shelled out more money was for the full 1080 experience which only the 8.9 inch can deliver. I just feel like I had been misled somewhat.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:46:28 PM PST
If those are the size of your movies, and given that the Fire product page does say "High definition content is substantially larger - for example, on average, an SD movie is 500MB, and an HD movie is 2GB." then I think you have reasonable grounds for returning your Fire to Amazon. They'll be able to see your account and understand your difficulty. Without consistent access to the cloud, it sounds like a better option for you would be a tablet that has expandable storage.

My guess would be that what they *meant* the product page to say is that an HD version of a movie is probably, on average, 4 times the size of the SD version. But whether they meant to say that or whether their files are substantially larger than from other sources (and I don't get that impression from a quick google about movie file sizes), it's a complaint best taken to Amazon itself.

I hope it all works out for you.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:49:19 PM PST
My copy of The Avengers downloaded at 2 Gb. When I rented Frankenweenie I had the issue you mentioned. I canceled the 1080 download and downloaded the standard HD and it looked like the full 1080 experience. In fact, the pic on the 1080 version didn't fit properly on the screen.

I can't answer your other questions. I'm simply a customer like you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 8:50:26 PM PST
Kessa says:
I just feel like I had been misled somewhat.
No, you were not misled - you need to take responsibility for not researching products before purchasing.

Plus, you had 30 days from purchase to return your KF, so you have no one to blame, but yourself.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 9:24:59 PM PST
Funny you say that Kessa, Yes, I could have researched every facet of the KF from weight in grams to the mah of the battery and the drain of it using certain apps and programs vs. being in standard sleep mode. I could have petitioned Amazon to get the developers log books. The real funny thing is you can't tell what the size of the file is UNTIL you DL it. And even then it's in super tiny print right below the DL tab on the videos store page. Unless there is a super secret Illuminati type of forum somewhere that has every movie in every format's size there is not a way to research it BEFORE you DL it. At least I haven't found it and I HAVE looked. So get off this page please and go back to yelling at your neighbors for some HOA infraction or whatever. By the way, ferrets stink pretty bad.

Like the title said, I'm just bummed that it is not quite clear.

"Plenty of Storage for HD Content
High definition content is substantially larger - for example, on average, an SD movie is 500MB, and an HD movie is 2GB. Because of this, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" offers multiple storage options starting with 16GB, as well as free, unlimited cloud storage for your Amazon content."

^^^^^^Verbatim direct from the webpage for KF 8.9 inch. Believe me that is quite misleading.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 9:28:26 PM PST
oh and thanks old rocker. ill end up doing that. Kinda wished I had gotten the 7 inch now though with that revelation

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 9:37:10 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I have a 10" tablet and I only get standard def movies. With that small of a screen you can't even tell a difference. Personally I buy DVD's and rip them myself. Most movies are under 600 meg when I do them. TV shows are under 400 meg.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 9:43:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 9:44:54 PM PST
When I bought The Avengers I didn't get the option to pick a size besides SD and HD. I've first saw the additional options for 720 and 1080 when I recently rented another movie. It's possible that it's a new "feature?"

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 9:47:44 PM PST
OK, to clarify. You now get an option for Good SD, Better 720, and Best 1080.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 9:52:35 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Heck, you don't even need 1080 on anything smaller than a 32" -40" screen.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 9:53:34 PM PST
copyleft says:
i rip my movies, that i own, and usb them to the KF.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:10:31 AM PST
"^^^^^^Verbatim direct from the webpage for KF 8.9 inch. Believe me that is quite misleading. "

It's extremely explicit...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:33:27 AM PST
Yes, extremely explicit. And misleading! It's hard to read "on average ... an HD movie is 2GB" as anything other than meaning exactly what it says.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 4:49:49 PM PST
steve scherf says:
I have a Fire 1st ed. How can I rotate my screen to watch the movies?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 8:38:52 PM PST
Perry says:
Jazzy_Jeff says: "Heck, you don't even need 1080 on anything smaller than a 32" -40" screen."

The rule of thumb for viewing 1080p is around 1.5 times the diagonal size of the screen. So for a 10in screen, if you are holding the Fire HD at 15 inches, then 1080p is the right resolution. For 720p, the recommended viewing distance would be around 2 feet, and at 480p around 3 feet.

Posted on Aug 24, 2014 1:04:29 PM PDT
J. Holifield says:
I have a Kindle Fire HDX, and I would like to be able to upload some movies that I take with the camera to youtube and facebook, but a 20 second video turns out to be 60MB which is way to large, does anyone know how to make it smaller file size it doesn't have to be in HD
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and $79 Kindle
0 13 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 6400 35 seconds ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 1862 1 minute ago
Block the Internet? 0 9 minutes ago
Any E-Ink Product That Includes Full Web Browsing? 11 12 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 1950 17 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 6027 27 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HDX Purchased in US - Will it work in the UK? 0 42 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 4691 50 minutes ago
amazon Echo 791 51 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Mar 3, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions