Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM Safety Month botysf16
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle prime lending library

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 234 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2011 3:24:52 PM PDT
does prime lending library work with/sync to my android like the books I've bought for Kindle work with/sync w/my android.it

Posted on Nov 4, 2011 3:28:26 PM PDT
Books borrowed via the lending library only work on actual Kindle devices, not the apps.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 2:28:50 AM PDT
M. Nilson says:
i wish this would work with other devices, i mean those of us paying for prime membership might want this. i mean 80 bucks a years im paying and all i get is better shipping on stuff i buy directly from amazon. it would be nice if i got the lending also. i have an android and a mac both with the kindle app. i have bought a few books, might buy more if this was offered.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 2:53:36 AM PDT
Michelle R says:
Presumably, you selected Prime before this announcement, and possibly before the streaming video, and found it to be worth it. Yep, it would be cool if it worked on other devices, but this is just an additional thing that didn't even exist when you though $80 was a good deal for shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 3:10:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 3:11:52 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
M.Nilson, I am an international Kindle owner. I bought more than 500 Kindle titles over two years of my ownership, and paid more than $1000 in *international surcharge* only (over the American prices of those titles) ! I cannot be Prime member, cannot watch anything, buy MP3s, use public libraries on my Kindle, lend my books to other Kindles, subscribe to blogs, nothing by basic Kindle functionality with higher prices and narrower choice of books. And yet, I am not complaining.

There is a saying here in Croatia: Give them a hand, and they will rip out your arm!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 6:11:24 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
There is a saying here "they would complain if you hung them with a gold rope" :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 8:41:39 AM PDT
Daisy says:
Great post, Dragi!

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 9:55:55 AM PST
Somebody says:
Here's a list of the books you're able borrow (from your physical device, not while online).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_mrr_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A618073011&bbn=283155&ie=UTF8&qid=1320591977&rnid=618072011

You can click the categories on the left side to narrow the list to your interests, but can anyone here see any way to search for specific authors? The drop down menu on the top right of the page don't offer anything beyond the usual search options within a department.

I know I can search in the full Kindle Store, but would like the added efficiency of searching just the Prime library titles.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 10:03:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 10:04:45 AM PST
 Ann says:
Enter the author's name, and then 'prime eligible' in the search box.

Edit: Oh, and select 'Kindle store' from the search drop-down before you do the search. That way you won't get all of the physical books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 10:55:21 AM PST
Somebody says:
Thank you! That works -- but you already knew that :) That list link I posted has Prime Eligible clicked, but it's in the "Books" department, not the "Kindle Store"...

I'm seeing the marketing advantages this library has for authors and publishers. I just spent a ton of time scrolling through the titles and found several books I want and I don't want to wait for a new month to roll around till I can borrow them. Right now my selections would take five months to get to me. Result? I'll buy them. I never would have noticed them had it not been for the list.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 11:04:18 AM PST
ed says:
Interesting if you're looking for older books. Amazon clearly isn't lending the high-value newer things. About 2009 is the newest title I've found but I have not, of course, gone through all the books. Just the authors of general interest to me.
Ditto for the movies. All very dated stuff or box office flops.
My Prime 30 day free trial still has 28 days to go. At this rate, I won't be renewing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 11:18:51 AM PST
Somebody says:
I saw a lot of books from 2011, but I can see your point. If they're of no interest to you, it doesn't matter how recent they were. Conversely, if they are of interest to you, it doesn't matter how old they are.

The prime videos are a mixed bag. But so are the downloads available at Netflix. I'm not all that quick to reject films that were duds at the box office because I find I often disagree with the mainstream about the quality. Sometimes a film doesn't make money because its appeal is too narrow to appeal to the masses. For example, I gobble up documentaries but they're not widely popular.

Even if you don't care for the books or the videos, you might come to appreciate (as many of us have) the free 2-day delivery on Prime-eligible purchases and the $3.99 cost for overnight deliveries (deadlines that don't work when you buy on the weekend, generally -- they're extended a day or two). Look for items on Amazon that you would normally buy locally and see if the free delivery (no driving to the store, no lugging the item from your car to your house) gives the service more value to you.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 11:29:30 AM PST
The books they can lend are not from the Agency (main) publishers, so that is one reason many popular books are not available for lending.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 7:06:01 PM PST
Micah Shaw says:
According to Amazon, you do not need a kindle to borrow books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 7:13:08 PM PST
There is a difference between the lending in your link and the prime lending library. You do have to have a Kindle to borrow books through the prime feature.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 11:31:09 AM PST
Jeff Saxton says:
I have a kindle model D00901, I am a prime member, however there is no link in the menu for the Kindle lending library, what do I need to do to correct this?

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 11:41:44 AM PST
oldreader says:
How long can you keep a borrowed book. I can't find that
info anyplace. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 11:44:42 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
"no due dates"

You can keep it as long as you want. But you can't check out another one next month until you return the first one

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 1:29:42 PM PST
oldreader says:
Thanks Pat. Good to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 1:54:00 PM PST
mine works with ipad

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 1:54:41 PM PST
Are you using the lending library or your local library?

Posted on Dec 22, 2011 2:01:04 PM PST
Eats Paste says:
I know Amazon claims not to follow the boards much, but even so:

It's stinky that only the original Prime member is allowed to borrow books!
My fiancee and I live in the same house, so naturally he just 'invited' me to share his Prime membership. But he is the only one who can borrow books, unless I want to deregister my Kindle and reregister it to his account every time I want to borrow something (assuming HE doesn't want to borrow something, as there can be only one!)
The email I got did note that should I want to borrow, I can always 'upgrade' to a paid membership of my own. Ha!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 2:05:48 PM PST
You already get the benefit of free shipping while paying nothing. Amazon is under no obligation to cater further to your sense of entitlement.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 2:05:51 PM PST
flipoid says:
"Ha!", Jennifer? You are getting something (the Prime shipping benefits) for free, and you expect more for free?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 2:06:35 PM PST
flipoid says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
connection issue 1 1 minute ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9416 6 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - June 2016 577 18 minutes ago
Is it possible to gift an ebook? or must I buy a gift card? 31 19 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6633 38 minutes ago
Text-to-speech on Voyage Kindle? 624 55 minutes ago
MLB At Bat 12 app for Kindle Fire???? 40 1 hour ago
Kindle 2 still won't sync after upgrade to Version: Kindle 2.5.8 (555370010) 0 1 hour ago
Failure trying to download PDFS from web using Kindle Fire Silk 32 2 hours ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1529 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  94
Total posts:  234
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions