Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

My Kindle Fire Won't Charge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 30, 2012 9:42:30 PM PDT
My Kindle Fire is not charging! I don't know why? I plug it in to the wall but it won't charge?
I never registered my Kindle and I called customer service to help me out but they said that I need my serial number to be able to get my warranty covered. The problem is the serial number is on the Kindle and it won't turn on or charge. She also said that the serial number is on the box that my Kindle came with but I threw that box away so I'm double screwed. What should I do? I need help!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 9:44:35 PM PDT
GnomeEd says:
Is the serial number on the back of the device?

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 9:47:47 PM PDT
Theres a model number, fcc number but no serial number that's 16 digits

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 9:51:44 PM PDT
Sue says:
Did you look on your receipt for the Fire? You can look it up on your computer on your Amazon account. The serial number may be on that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 9:52:59 PM PDT
Loz says:
Did you purchase through Amazon? If so there may be a serial number on your invoice.

Posted on May 31, 2012 8:14:15 AM PDT
partyofseven says:
I just called them yesterday about my 2 Fires that won't charge. I wasn't asked for a serial number. The only identifying info the CSR wanted was my email address that's attached to my Amazon account. He immediately shipped 2 new-to-me KFs. Call back and talk to someone else.

OH! But I see you never registered your Fire. Why not? I'm guessing you didn't buy it through Amazon or else it would have come to you registered. Take it back to the store where you bought it.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 1:03:01 AM PDT
CCM says:
I am unhappy with the way the Kindle Fire won't charge. My first one wouldn't charge so they sent me a replacement but that won't charge either. It's not the charger because I tested it on my phone and it charges it fine. I've also tried different chargers that work on other devices and it won't work on the Fire. What is the problem with these?

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 6:15:45 AM PDT
gapeach says:
I find that my Fire needs to be charged every day even though I don't have the WiiFi on. I just read and play Solitaire. This doesn't seem like a very long life to me. At least it DOES charge though.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 2:52:38 PM PDT
Turn down your screen's brightness (tab next to volume). Not sure why it works but it does. Mine will never charge on full brightness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2012 10:37:32 AM PDT
Who did you call, I can't find a number to call for AMAZON support?

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 10:25:15 AM PDT
From the Amazon Kindle help page:
If you are still having problems charging your Kindle Fire, try performing a hard reset on your Kindle Fire. Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds and then release. After the device has completely turned off, press the power button to restart your Kindle Fire.
This option worked for me.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 8:48:03 AM PDT
stryder says:
Add me to the list of having a Kindle Fire that won't take a charge. I just tried lowering the brightness and that didn't seem to change things.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:36:19 AM PDT
This may not be very helpful, but this also happened to me one day.

It wouldn't charge. I thought I finally got a defective Kindle, after 4 years,
and was not looking forward to doing the setup again.

But I thought I would just leave the charger in for an hour to see if
it finally took, because I had let it run all the way down, which isn't good
with that type of battery.

About half an hour later, it had a light come on and finally did charge
and since then it's been fine.

That won't be the solution for these in general, but it could help in some cases.

(The same thing happened with my Samsung larger tablet. It's an awful feeling,
but in each case waiting a long time while it charged from the wall did happen to help.)

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 9:47:33 PM PDT
I had issues with my first kindle. Same thing. Wouldn't charge. I, too, got a replacement kindle. Now all of a sudden the same thing is happening again. The darn thing won't charge! It is completely dead now :( I am hoping that if I just leave it alone and let it stay plugged in, it will recharge itself. I do remember when I spoke to the person at amazon, he told me to let it die out completely and plug it in. Another thing he had suggested was a hard turn off (hold down the power button until it shuts itself off, wait about 30 seconds and then hold the power button until it turns itself back on) I don't know if this helps any but just know that you are not alone <3

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 9:49:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 7, 2012 9:49:31 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 10:08:52 PM PDT
On my 3rd and last kindle fire. Sent first one back when the charger was getting very hot and not always charging. The second one worked for one week and then would not charge at all. Third one works when it wants to - does not work on Google search, or any website - have to refresh on just about every page. The first two at least worked on the web. Refurbished product as a replacement for something I bought new is not acceptable Amazon and 3 strikes your out.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 12:18:37 AM PDT
H. Schindler says:
I have had the same problems. We have two - my daughters seems to do okay, at first. Now the one we bought in February stopped charging by mid year. The replacement is already showing the same signs as the first and now my daughters is also showing the signs. I want to know what the issue is? At first, it charges as soon as you plug it in and that eventually turns into the light turning on after a few seconds, minutes and then never. Not happy about it and think I am going to need to call again. So stressful when my daughter is crying to watch her kindle and I can't get it to charge.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 3:48:36 AM PDT
K. Rhodes says:
I got a Kindle Fire for my daughter. I connected it to my computer with a USB Micro B cable to add some music, and expected it to charge at the same time, so I was surprised when the battery went down from 21% to 20%.

Even with the brightness turned down, it was still at 20% after ten minutes.

This is probably because the USB connector only supplies 500mA or so, much less than the 1.8A that the AC adapter supplies. Maybe with the brightness turned up and/or a few apps running, there is just not enough current to charge the battery at all.

K.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 6:06:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 21, 2012 6:11:48 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 7:15:30 AM PDT
S. Mattingly says:
Thank you that helped me out a lot

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 7:17:03 AM PDT
S. Mattingly says:
Thank you that helped me out a lot

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 3:22:12 PM PDT
S. Stewart says:
This worked for me! Thanks for the post. I, too, just experienced my Kindle Fire not turning back on ---and I've never dropped it or mishandled it. One day it worked, and the next time it would not turn on. I had left it to charge for over an hour --even though the orange charging light was not on. When I came back to use it, it still would not turn on. Then looked online for trouble-shooting and saw this post. I held the button down for about 20-30 seconds, and thankfully, the green light blinked on! Still confused as to 'why' it happened ---but grateful it's working for now. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 7:46:19 AM PDT
Elizabeth says:
Thank you so much! I just tried this and it worked for me too. I think it was "asleep" or something, it did not even need to be charged, just had gone black suddenly after some inactivity on my part.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 6:23:28 PM PDT
Teal says:
This is my 2nd kindle. Last one stopped charging. I had it 7 months. I have had this one 3 weeks and have been having trouble with recharging. Usually a restart works but tonight it was the brightness. Turned it down and it starting charging right away. Thanks!!

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 2:25:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 2:28:01 PM PDT
DireWasp says:
I have replaced 4 Kindle Fires so far. I have two, I had to replace 1 of them 3 times and the other one once since Dec of last year (2011).

This isn't the first time I have run into the Kindle not charging. This time (last night/today) as soon I plugged in the power the green light would come on and goto the screen "Power to low to power on" and then turn off. The orange light would not turn on. Left it plugged in over night and the same behavior. Today I did the hard reset as stated above and nothing. Same "Power to low to power on" screen would come up and then turn off again with no orange charging light afterward.

I then held the power in for twenty seconds (while power cord was plugged in), let the "Power to low to power on" come on and continued to hold the power button down. Let go of the button and rinse and repeat 3 times. Orange light still didn't' come on. Left it plugged in and walked away for 5 mins. Came back and orange light is on, kindle is turned on and charging. Good for now.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  May 30, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 3, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions