Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon.com Kindle vs Target

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2010 11:01:01 AM PDT
J. Aragon says:
Is there any difference in purchasing it @ Target and ordering one online? I'm so excited and just want to hold it in my hands now!

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 11:02:02 AM PDT
JP Reader Me says:
If you buy it at Target you will have to pay sales tax.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 11:03:12 AM PDT
I would think it would be easier return to Amazon if there is something amiss with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 11:05:06 AM PDT
J. Aragon says:
I was wondering about the sales tax. In CA, don't they have to charge you regardless of where purchased (store or online)? I can go to two different counties to purchase it, one having a slightly lower almost insignificant sales tax.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 11:08:35 AM PDT
J. Collins says:
I buy from amazon and ALWAYS pay sales tax.... Amazon is in Washington and so am I ... :(

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 11:10:05 AM PDT
If you purchase your Kindle from Target and wish to return it, you must return it to Target. I don't know about warranty issues, tho. I'm guessing warranty work is still available thru only Amazon.

From the Kindle Support pages:

Returning Kindle

You can return any Kindle you purchased directly from Amazon.com for a full refund within 30 days of the day you received it as long as it is in new condition and in accordance with our return policy. Your Kindle is not eligible for return and refund after the 30-day return period has expired.

Note: If you purchased your Kindle from a third-party retail store, you must return your Kindle to the retailer where you made the purchase according to the retailer's return policies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 11:12:00 AM PDT
J. Aragon says:
Great info. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 11:12:15 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
I would order online even if the tax were the same. What would you spend in gas money to make a special trip to Target? It may not be much for some people, but for me it would be approximately 3.5 gallons. The time it would take would also be a factor to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 11:14:27 AM PDT
In CA, Amazon does not have a "physical presence" - no warehouse, etc. - so they do not have to collect sales tax. There is a place on the CA income tax form for you to state how many $$ worth of stuff you've bought on-line and pay a "use tax" on it, but since there's no connection between on-line purchases and your SSN, there is no way for them to really track it.

Now, if you buy a Kindle book from a publisher (under the agency model) who does have some sort of physical presence here, Amazon will collect sales tax on it.

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 11:39:10 AM PDT
There's also the really important difference when buying from Target vs Amazon.com:

You have it RIGHT THEN!

Of course, I bought mine before they were in Target, so I had to wait an entire day to get it! It was torture!

Other than that, there will be no difference in the quality or usability of the device. While some have mentioned that returning it to Amazon might be easier, given how awesome their CS is, I've had little problems returning things to Target when I've had to. There may be a difference in time you have to return it if (shockingly!) you don't like it. Target may be 2 weeks instead of 1 month, but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps!

Jennifer

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 9:11:21 PM PDT
Target return policy is usually 90 days with receipt. Some electronics returns will be charged a 15% restocking fee -- I would check at store whether restocking fees apply to kindles. Generally, if box has never been opened, restocking fee will not be charged. Target (along with most other retailers) has gotten rather hard-nosed about returns. Buying a kindle at target may (or may not) therefore give you a longer tryout window.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for iOS 4.8
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 28 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 29 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Al's Place 35mm 7714 2 seconds ago
I keep getting the "Sign-in required" 115 58 seconds ago
What are the books printed on your Kindle box? 21 3 minutes ago
My Kindle Shut Down and Won't Start 69 3 minutes ago
Have you written a coming of age Adventure novel? 77 4 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 9542 7 minutes ago
difference between a Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire 7" ? 1 7 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 4570 8 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Jun 30, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions